Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453998 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13530 on: September 09, 2016, 05:15:37 am »

Humble Store is having an end of summer sale, featuring Tropico 4 completely free for a whole day.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: September 09, 2016, 06:59:14 am »

EDIT: Question: is that $99 license per game, or is it enough to have one then you can upload as many apps as you want? (I do not know how licenses work, obviously.)

It's been a while since I've been in the area but I thought it was $99 for the license then you submit whatever you want.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: September 09, 2016, 11:00:14 am »

So you have to pay $99 per year to have your app in the apple store? And there's no other way for iOS users to (legally) get an app? Hmm. I wasn't planning on making anything I would sell, just have a bunch of ideas for little simple games and motivational tools and stuff that I'd like to use. But I know most of the people I know have iPhones (for some reason), so if I made something only for Android, a lot of people wouldn't be able to use it. Man, why do so many people have to use apple? I hate everything about them...

This will require some thought. However, I suppose if I don't get it now and then later decide I'm ready to make this stuff, and I haven't bought this bundle, I will regret it... So I might as well grab it. I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but I'm not so broke that I can't afford something which is hopefully an investment for the future.

EDIT: Question: is that $99 license per game, or is it enough to have one then you can upload as many apps as you want? (I do not know how licenses work, obviously.)

It's a membership, you get this: https://developer.apple.com/programs/whats-included/

I think the same price also applies for small business, up to a certain amount of developers? Not sure what's the limit, probably less than 10.

You don't need it to develop for Mac, but you need it for iOS and the App Store (they eventually remove your apps if it expires). You need a (free) Apple ID either way.

According to this you can now "sideload" apps for testing without a membership, which I think it means you can upload directly to your own devices from Xcode without using the App Store.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: September 09, 2016, 02:15:42 pm »

Meanwhile, the app store for windows phone* costs only $19 one time for an individual account or $99 one time for a company account.

* Actually I believe they're unified these days, so this should include the windows app store too.

Of course, I'm probably the last person in the world who still uses windows phone. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13534 on: September 09, 2016, 02:27:48 pm »

Well, I got the bundle, and for the first time, actually downloaded and installed GameMaker, got everything set up, and did the first tutorial (to make my first simple game). Holy CRAP this is easy! Here I've been trying to learn to code from scratch for years, and all this time there was this beautiful, wonderful program waiting for me that makes it absurdly easy to make games. I've been such a fool! So now I'll do the rest of the tutorials, then get started on my first game, even if I only work on it a little bit now and then and it takes ages to finish. Excitement!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: September 09, 2016, 02:35:53 pm »

Meanwhile, the app store for windows phone* costs only $19 one time for an individual account or $99 one time for a company account.

* Actually I believe they're unified these days, so this should include the windows app store too.

Of course, I'm probably the last person in the world who still uses windows phone. :P

The individual account is also free if you're a student, and doesn't expire once you're out of school.

Ah Microsoft, you're trying so hard, but you're just too late to get a piece of this pie.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: September 09, 2016, 04:56:15 pm »

Well, I got the bundle, and for the first time, actually downloaded and installed GameMaker, got everything set up, and did the first tutorial (to make my first simple game). Holy CRAP this is easy! Here I've been trying to learn to code from scratch for years, and all this time there was this beautiful, wonderful program waiting for me that makes it absurdly easy to make games. I've been such a fool! So now I'll do the rest of the tutorials, then get started on my first game, even if I only work on it a little bit now and then and it takes ages to finish. Excitement!
Yeah, I picked this up because I had had fun making games with the free version when I was younger. The only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is that it doesn't seem to come with free art assets like it did back then, but I'm pretty sure I can easily find such a thing somewhere online.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13537 on: September 10, 2016, 02:50:25 pm »

What are these modules for Gamemaker, and are they worth picking up?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: September 12, 2016, 02:17:26 pm »

What are these modules for Gamemaker, and are they worth picking up?

The ones in the bundle are simply so that you can export your app to Android, iPhone, WinPhoneThing and HTML5. They're pretty expensive if you plan to buy them the normal way. Not sure if Mac or Linux need modules. Without them you can only make a PC version of your game I guess. For some reason it sells the Mac and Ubuntu modules separately yet also tells you they're included with GM Pro, so no idea what's up with that.

They're not actually resources, so yeah they're worth it if you plan to make mobile apps with it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13539 on: September 12, 2016, 02:21:15 pm »

I'll say that they do work very well. I've tested a few so far without issues.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #13540 on: September 12, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »

I got Gamemaker for Android in the last bundle that included it.

Made a game using free assets with a procedural galaxy of 1,000,000 sectors with a bunch of systems in each sector and a bunch of planets in each system, with procedural empires inhabiting sectors, but I never got around to adding any AI or anything to do beyond flying around landing on planets (which were just 2d sprites) with a very shallow procedural quest and exploration system that needed way more content to be interesting.

After I had all that I was trying to make space combat fun, but never did hit on something that entertained me, so I ended up getting busy and just stopping development on it.

Gamemaker is real easy to use though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: September 12, 2016, 07:22:10 pm »

Made a game using free assets with a procedural galaxy of 1,000,000 sectors with a bunch of systems in each sector and a bunch of planets in each system, with procedural empires inhabiting sectors, but I never got around to adding any AI or anything to do beyond flying around landing on planets (which were just 2d sprites) with a very shallow procedural quest and exploration system that needed way more content to be interesting.

After I had all that I was trying to make space combat fun, but never did hit on something that entertained me, so I ended up getting busy and just stopping development on it.

Hmm...

I dunno, sounds like you had a hit on your hand. You should try to sell it on Steam and as a PS4 exclusive (get Sony to market and publish it for you). If you add a premium price, I think the public would really eat it up!

Just think of some kind of catchy name that's easy to turn into a joke or a meme.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »

How topical.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: September 12, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

Hmm...

I dunno, sounds like you had a hit on your hand. You should try to sell it on Steam and as a PS4 exclusive (get Sony to market and publish it for you). If you add a premium price, I think the public would really eat it up!

Just think of some kind of catchy name that's easy to turn into a joke or a meme.

Nomad's Sky
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13544 on: September 12, 2016, 08:34:24 pm »

Perfect
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1134