Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454766 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13320 on: July 12, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »

Arkham had a hard-mode for NG+ that did this, at least for City and Knight.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13321 on: July 12, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »

Asylum had it too in Hard mode.

I know AC2 didn't have them in the first place, but it was still fairly obvious when guards would attack.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: July 12, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »

Asylum had it too in Hard mode.

I know AC2 didn't have them in the first place, but it was still fairly obvious when guards would attack.
Yeah, in all the ACs I played enemies are incredibly polite and only attack 1 or 2 at a time. In Shadow of Mordor you can expect to be dogpiled by orcs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13323 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:42 pm »

Wellll...
There were only ever 2 blockable attacks at once in Shadow of Mordor.  And even that's a bit unusual.  To the point that I still love the unique animations for dual-parrying, because I only see them occasionally.
But there are a lot of shield-orcs who cannot be parried (the prompt suggests dodging, but that's a bit hit-or-miss (kinda BS that the orcs with the strongest defense also have an unblockable attack, imho)).
Plus the ork captains who have all sorts of abilities.  Usually parryable, unless they were promoted from shield-orcs, though.

But yeah the orcs in SoM still wait patiently to attack.
Except for the shield-orcs and ranged orcs, who will punish you for staying in one place for too many seconds.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13324 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »

Ranged orc captains is what really tore it for me. Nothing like having a good fight ruined by a guy chipping off 1/3rd of your health per shot from outside the swarm of guys.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13325 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »

Wellll...
There were only ever 2 blockable attacks at once in Shadow of Mordor.  And even that's a bit unusual.  To the point that I still love the unique animations for dual-parrying, because I only see them occasionally.
But there are a lot of shield-orcs who cannot be parried (the prompt suggests dodging, but that's a bit hit-or-miss (kinda BS that the orcs with the strongest defense also have an unblockable attack, imho)).
Plus the ork captains who have all sorts of abilities.  Usually parryable, unless they were promoted from shield-orcs, though.

But yeah the orcs in SoM still wait patiently to attack.
Except for the shield-orcs and ranged orcs, who will punish you for staying in one place for too many seconds.
The answer to shield orcs was always dodge over them if possible, which gives them a small stun and puts you on the other side of them away from the shield.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: July 12, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

I actually got confounded recently in a challenge (I think the 1-life woman) by a ranged orc captain with a red-dripping who kept hitting me for like 25% damage.  Thing is, he did it with no lead-up, every time I caught up to him and hit him 3-4 times.  He would suddenly raise his bow and shoot me.

Then he would run, because the thing is - he was fleeing, because I killed his warchief.  I'd stand back up and resume the chase.  Catch him, hit him a few times, suddenly *BAM* arrow'd.  And he'd flee.  Over and over.  Also I think he regenerated.

Never seen any other attack like that, most ranged captains seem pretty stunned when you slash them a bit.  Not this guy, though!  Totally interrupted my string of blows with a fuck-you shot to the ribs.  Repeatedly.

The answer to shield orcs was always dodge over them if possible, which gives them a small stun and puts you on the other side of them away from the shield.
Yeah, that was one of the cheesiest things I actually abused (because otherwise, shield-orcs practically ignore your blows).  In my defense, chaff-orcs tend to swarm me as I'm trying to take advantage of the stunned shield-captain.  You get bonus damage if you complete the flurry, but a lot of the time you have to cancel and parry instead.
Still though, that dumb leap-over thing is the first thing I try on shield or berserker orcs.

Oh yeah, that's weird too.  The dual-wielding "berserker" orcs are perfect at parrying - try to hurt them, they will parry and hurt you!  Unlike Skyrim, infinitely better defense than one-hand orcs.  Even better than shield orcs, who eventually lose their shields (and don't auto-riposte).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:30 pm »

Might want to take this elsewhere, but of a de-rail...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:36 pm »

I actually got confounded recently in a challenge (I think the 1-life woman) by a ranged orc captain with a red-dripping who kept hitting me for like 25% damage.  Thing is, he did it with no lead-up, every time I caught up to him and hit him 3-4 times.  He would suddenly raise his bow and shoot me.

Then he would run, because the thing is - he was fleeing, because I killed his warchief.  I'd stand back up and resume the chase.  Catch him, hit him a few times, suddenly *BAM* arrow'd.  And he'd flee.  Over and over.  Also I think he regenerated.

Never seen any other attack like that, most ranged captains seem pretty stunned when you slash them a bit.  Not this guy, though!  Totally interrupted my string of blows with a fuck-you shot to the ribs.  Repeatedly.

Was he immune to stealth? Ezioing it up with a stealth assassination from up high is always the easiest way if they're not.

Yeah, that was one of the cheesiest things I actually abused (because otherwise, shield-orcs practically ignore your blows).  In my defense, chaff-orcs tend to swarm me as I'm trying to take advantage of the stunned shield-captain.  You get bonus damage if you complete the flurry, but a lot of the time you have to cancel and parry instead.
Still though, that dumb leap-over thing is the first thing I try on shield or berserker orcs.
No, the answer to shield orcs is to shoot them in the head. Well, not captains as much, they're tougher, but eh, they usually have a weakness to abuse, except for warchiefs. The last two warchiefs I took out, I beat by sending a branded warchief with an explosive crossbow to demolish them.

The really hard ones are the ones that have shields, are immune to archery, immune to stealth, and block attempts to leap over them. Even then, iirc, you can still just activate your temporarily-unlimited-finishers sword ability (storm of wossname? urfael?) and go to town.

Oh yeah, that's weird too.  The dual-wielding "berserker" orcs are perfect at parrying - try to hurt them, they will parry and hurt you!  Unlike Skyrim, infinitely better defense than one-hand orcs.  Even better than shield orcs, who eventually lose their shields (and don't auto-riposte).
Do those show up later in the game? I don't think I've run into them. I've gotten as far as "brand all the warchiefs" in the second zone, which I did, and then got no new quests. I guess it wants me to do the mission with the dwarf which I had been ignoring. Or collect things or do the weapon history missions that I've also been ignoring. I dunno.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13329 on: July 12, 2016, 09:59:04 pm »

Perhaps not, then.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13330 on: July 12, 2016, 10:10:13 pm »

No I agree, this doesn't have anything to do with sales.  Thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135751.375

Fuckin hell, January of last year?  I'm really shocked the game is a year and a half old.

Do those show up later in the game? I don't think I've run into them. I've gotten as far as "brand all the warchiefs" in the second zone, which I did, and then got no new quests. I guess it wants me to do the mission with the dwarf which I had been ignoring. Or collect things or do the weapon history missions that I've also been ignoring. I dunno.
As far as I remember they're there from the start.  Could be wrong though, apparently I beat the game like a YEAR ago (jeez) and have just been doing challenge modes since.  They're common standard orcs who wield dual weapons, and add a much-needed dimension to the slash-until-parry-prompt gameplay.  If you slash at them, they grab you and do a headbutt attack for minor damage.  Unfailingly.

Since they're common chaff, they aren't really worth stunning (except with the crazy AOE move).  They're vulnerable to being parried.  So I do that, and just ignore them in the meantime.
She/they

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13331 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:56 pm »

Steam is currently having a sale on Supergiant Games... games. Bastion and Transistor are both real cheap, and if you fancy 'em both, you can get them at the same time along with their soundtracks for an additional (albeit slight) discount.

If you like artsy, isometric action games with cool-sounding narrators talking your ear off constantly, look no further.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:54:21 pm by Nighthawk »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: July 14, 2016, 02:10:54 pm »

Bastion is the better one by far.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13334 on: July 14, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »

It's funny.  I liked the story, music, and art in both.

The game play in Transistor was far more nuanced and had lots more tactical choices and combinations that would have justified further playthroughs.

But I never played it a second time.  I started a newgame+, and stopped fairly shortly after the intro.

Bastion though, I probably played the whole thing about 2.5 times trying different combinations of weapons, none of which were really anything more complicated than "click on the monster to make loot pop out".  Never did finish the alphabet book, though.

So yeah, I feel like by all quantifiable measures, Transistor was the better game and I'm glad I played it once and I totally loved it.

But qualitatively, Bastion was just more fun and more replayable somehow.
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1134