Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456338 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12975 on: April 14, 2016, 04:50:04 am »

You guys certainly sold me on it. It feels more like a mix between God of War and Devil May Cry than a Zelda game, to be honest. Still pretty good so far.

Yeah, I don't really feel the Zelda at all: largely because of what I mentioned, there's very little exploration or 'vania. Compare it to LTTP, for example, where there are lots of areas and secrets to find, many of which need tools you get in later dungeons to access. Even the first Legend of Zelda was heavily about exploration and secrets than what you find in modern fare. From what I remember of Darksiders, most of the tools you get are only used in the dungeon you get them, and very, very limited circumstances in later dungeons and areas.

The closest game I would compare it to would be the Soul Reaver series, particularly in terms of storytelling. By transitive property this includes GoW (but GoW is much, much heavier in combat, and does combat better) and Tomb Raider (which is heavier on puzzle/platforming elements), and I guess the 3D Prince of Persia games (which I think were closer to Tomb Raider in terms of combat/platforming balance, but I didn't play them much).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:55:29 am by Niveras »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: April 14, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »

I enjoyed Darksiders 1 way more than 2. 2 is a bigger game but it had a kind of obnoxious MMO vibe going on. (Random gear, rarity levels, blah blah.) I remember getting an hour into it and going "I don't have time for this."

This is how I felt too, the first game was great for what it was and I really enjoyed it a lot.

The second game was.... eh. The story was less interesting and not memorable at all compared to the first game, which had a really interesting story (imo), and the gameplay felt like they were just trying to force a diablo2 style loot grind but it didn't feel very compelling, I ended up getting some legendary (or something) scythe in the first level and just saying "meh good enough" and using it for the rest of the game without bothering to check stats of new stuff.

Probably still worth the $3 they are asking though, it was at least enjoyable enough that I finished it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:23 pm »

Started playing with 2 but moved to 1 after deciding to beat them in order.
Plying war and being a pretty cool guy...
And now i'm stuck in the first dungeon (bat queen or something).

I cleared everything and got the boomerang. All doors are open bar one... the one leading to the boss.
I have one "spare" blue sword but can't find any statue for it... and i'm wandering the first are back nad forth for almost an hour.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: April 14, 2016, 09:04:40 pm »

The first Darksiders is one of my favourite games, regardless of genre. Partially because I expected absolutely nothing but Generic Actiongame #783784, but got a gem instead. As for Darksiders 2.. I'm sure it's good, but I got bored a handful of hours into the game. Can't really explain why, but maybe for reasons others have stated like the MMO'ey feel. Also, my expectations were way higher on this one.

Anyway, Rainbow Six: Siege is free to play this weekend and 33% off on Steam. I've only played the beta. Seemed like a solid game, though it certainly has fuck all to do with Rainbow Six.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: April 14, 2016, 09:38:35 pm »

I cleared everything and got the boomerang. All doors are open bar one... the one leading to the boss.
I have one "spare" blue sword but can't find any statue for it... and i'm wandering the first are back nad forth for almost an hour.

I'm trying to remember the dungeon. There was a part where you have to push a statue off a ledge and create a hole in the floor. There was also the bomb spore thingies you need to grab and throw at stuff on the walls. I really don't remember it well enough to help much so here's a walkthrough that might help.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: April 15, 2016, 08:02:25 am »

I'm trying to remember the dungeon. There was a part where you have to push a statue off a ledge and create a hole in the floor. There was also the bomb spore thingies you need to grab and throw at stuff on the walls. I really don't remember it well enough to help much so here's a walkthrough that might help.
Ok that helped... i had to bring the sword to the 3 angel statues in a large room. I thought i already got all 3 swords in.
Dungeon cleared boss beat.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: April 15, 2016, 10:46:46 pm »

Men of War Assault Squad 2 is 75% off. Is it worth it? How's multiplayer and the player base?

I already have CoH 2, but felt it too arcadey and wishing for a more realistic WW2 RTS.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: April 15, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

Men of War Assault Squad 2 is 75% off. Is it worth it? How's multiplayer and the player base?

I already have CoH 2, but felt it too arcadey and wishing for a more realistic WW2 RTS.

Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is great if you want detail. Penetration differences for where shots land on tanks, individual troop inventories and the ability to take mounted machine guns off vehicles and wield them by hand, artillery flattening buildings and the ability to prime grenades before throwing. Units actually have to be hit by a bullet to be killed rather than having unit health like in Company of Heroes.
The thing to note is that it is primarily a multiplayer game. There are singleplayer campaigns but they are all the same style of either survive X waves or advance and take point with very little mission distinctiveness between the different factions. Soviet campaign plays nearly the same as United States as Germany as Japan as Britain as... etc etc.

You can find some mods that give more singleplayer missions, including ones based on real battles. I would recommend looking at some videos by TheSherminator before buying as he showcases various missions, mod packs and units.

Here's the mod list on ModDB. A recently released one is actually a Star Wars themed mod allowing you to pit Empire vs Rebels vs Republic vs CIS.

One mod that TheSherminator covered with unit videos was the "German Soldiers Mod" that added a whole bunch of new units and factions including Romania, Italy, France, Poland and Hungary.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: April 20, 2016, 11:35:14 am »

With Kerbal Space Program gone 1.1 it is on sale for $24 US on Steam. This is a fairly standard sale price now.

Gnomoria is on sale at GOG for 50% off.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: April 20, 2016, 01:11:53 pm »

How good is Gnomoria exactly? I've had it gathering dust in Humble for a while and I'm curious...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: April 20, 2016, 04:09:49 pm »

How good is Gnomoria exactly? I've had it gathering dust in Humble for a while and I'm curious...

Its a good game if you have the urge for dwarf fortress but you don't actually want to go through the effort of actually playing dwarf fortress. Its not the most complicate DF-like but its quite enjoyable. Sadly there hasn't been much word from the developer about well anything since it left early acess so don't expect much in the way of it ever being expanded beyond what mods have done. 

If you have the dosh I'd personally pass it up in favor of Rimworld but its still a pretty good game.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:13:49 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: April 20, 2016, 05:00:55 pm »

Its a good game if you have the urge for dwarf fortress but you don't actually want to go through the effort of actually playing dwarf fortress. Its not the most complicate DF-like but its quite enjoyable. Sadly there hasn't been much word from the developer about well anything since it left early acess so don't expect much in the way of it ever being expanded beyond what mods have done. 

If you have the dosh I'd personally pass it up in favor of Rimworld but its still a pretty good game.

Gnomoria is 3d where Rimworld is 2d.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: April 21, 2016, 04:32:10 am »

If you haven't bought any of the Telltale adventure games, the humble bundle is selling pretty much all of them, including Game of Thrones and The Walking dead seasons 1 and 2, all for 12 bucks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/telltale-bundle
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: April 21, 2016, 04:39:51 am »

It sounds like a pretty damn good bundle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: April 21, 2016, 04:47:08 am »

But telltale suckssssss
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1134