Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456922 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12690 on: January 01, 2016, 06:21:10 am »

Vaaaaaaaaaaaalve?
Are you trolling the everybody again?
;P
Then again, maybe one of Valve's New Years resolutions is to count to three...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: January 01, 2016, 06:51:20 am »

About the reddit link, but not the actual ARG:
Nah, it's just jpeg compression. It's pretty obvious, you see, because it's not in the original image (the one he tells you to ignore because it's not in it), and because the image he claims it is in is actually being returned by an image resizing script (he tells you to remove the size parameters from the url) which is jpeg-compressing the source image a second time after resizing it (or not resizing it if you remove the size parameters - but it still compresses it a second time regardless).

*posts that on the reddit thread, wonders if I will get voted down for making everyone else look dumb*  :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:54:41 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: January 01, 2016, 08:00:32 am »

That image about the red herring keeps telling me to enter a code, but where?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12693 on: January 01, 2016, 08:15:29 am »

That image about the red herring keeps telling me to enter a code, but where?

It doesn't seem to be working through the steam client, so open up the store in a webbrowser, and make sure you are logged in in the borwser, and once the page you need to enter a code on is loaded, without clicking in any text boxes such as the search box, type "search"(without quotes) and hit enter. That will open up the text box to enter the code in.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:17:08 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12694 on: January 02, 2016, 05:05:09 am »

WHOA, what the ballsing crap is this new trade restriction? If you haven't used their mobile authenticator app in a while, they hold all your trades for SEVEN DAYS before releasing the contents. I already have to do an email confirmation for every trade, and they even have my frigging phone number, but because I don't own an Andriod or iOs device to give them more access to my personal information, I basically can't trade anymore. Who's going to accept a trade that takes 7 days to complete?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12695 on: January 02, 2016, 06:26:12 am »

Three days. Seven days is the amount of time you need to have the mobile authenticator enabled for, for trades to stop being held for any length of time. If you have just email confirmation, your trades will be held for 3 days. 1 day if both participants in the trade have been friends for at least a year.

Details here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/

Heh. I am constantly more and more glad I don't use the Steam market for anything but free funds from sold game cards. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12696 on: January 02, 2016, 06:34:55 am »

Three days. Seven days is the amount of time you need to have the mobile authenticator enabled for, for trades to stop being held for any length of time. If you have just email confirmation, your trades will be held for 3 days. 1 day if both participants in the trade have been friends for at least a year.

Details here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/

Heh. I am constantly more and more glad I don't use the Steam market for anything but free funds from sold game cards. :P

No, I just made a trade offer and it's holding my trade for SEVEN days. It said so on the trade window: this trade will be held for 7 days because you haven't used the mobile authenticator.

Please note that it's very easy to do two-factor authentication with a simple SMS code sent to a mobile number. They already have my number and this option is perfectly viable, but they skipped that and went straight for "punish people who don't own a mobile device". Something tells me this is about something other than "security."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12697 on: January 02, 2016, 09:58:25 am »

This is to prevent someone from trading away your entire inventory if your account is stolen. It's a bit radical, but it does work.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12698 on: January 02, 2016, 10:02:09 am »

This is to prevent someone from trading away your entire inventory if your account is stolen. It's a bit radical, but it does work.

The problem is that because I'm someone who doesn't own a mobile device, I can't use their extra authentication, which means any trade offers I make will have a waiting period. No one wants to wait, so they'll trade with people who don't have the waiting period instead, and I'm effectively excluded from trading now. It's really frustrating, since it would be easy to just use an SMS code for their two-factor authentication system rather than screwing over everyone who doesn't own a mobile device. If SMS codes are secure enough for my bank to use, I'm going to go ahead and say they're probably secure enough for a gaming site.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: January 02, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

Don't blame valve too much, blame all the morons who apparently hand out their account info to anyone who asks, or click on links from some shady guy who just added them 5 minutes ago and promised free tf2keys for logging in to his website, or any number of other completely ridiculous scams.

The number of people who had their inventory cleaned out because they are complete idiots is unreal. It's a lot of work for valve to fix it, and unfortunately they can't really just say "sorry you're a moron you deserve it". So they had to do something to protect people from themselves - and unfortunately you just happened to get screwed over by it more than most.

Ha, I can't even sell all these stupid sale cards because I've "recently funded my steam wallet using paypal or an unverified payment method that has had a recent increase in use". I'm not even sure WTF that means, I used a credit card that I'm relatively sure I've used on steam before (though it was a few years ago). I'm also not sure why it stops me from selling things either, I guess they are just too lazy to split buying and selling and just put a flat market ban on because it's easier? There's probably a trade ban to go with it, but I don't know for sure since I've not tried to trade anything recently.

It ends a couple of hours before the cards poof so I guess I just have to hope I'm on at the time so I can dump them and get my 50 cents or whatever  ::)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12700 on: January 02, 2016, 11:59:20 am »

It ends a couple of hours before the cards poof so I guess I just have to hope I'm on at the time so I can dump them and get my 50 cents or whatever  ::)
I managed to sell enough cards (mostly accumulated over the rest of the year) to grab me a pair of neat old games for New Year. Jagged Alliance 2 Gold and the Geneforge Saga. Both so far are similar in their uncanny ability to murderize my characters with enviable efficiency. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12701 on: January 02, 2016, 09:49:32 pm »

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't bother farming cards this sale.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12702 on: January 02, 2016, 10:59:39 pm »

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't bother farming cards this sale.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: January 02, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »

I made a buck or more on the sale cards. It helps with tax. I live in Washington.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: January 02, 2016, 11:54:54 pm »

Did you know that if you sell too many steam starts bugging you for your personal information? They say it's for tax purposes but obviously it's really so it can be stolen by hackers. ;D
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1134