Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457285 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12555 on: December 08, 2015, 02:16:25 pm »

Man check out the new Neo Geo Humble Bundle. You can preview play the games in your browser, it's cool as hell.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: December 08, 2015, 03:22:12 pm »

There's an old game on a steal-level sale on Steam right now. Echelon, the basically-never-seen-in-English prequel to Echelon:Wind Warriors, which is only slightly less obscure.

It's a mission-based arcade-ish combat flight simulator featuring futuristic VTOL fighter/bomber/gunship craft. I don't think such a thing really exists as a genre nowadays, you always get either regular aircraft or outright spacecraft combat (as in, in space, or at least without a "ground"), but nothing quite like this.

If you can get past the dated graphics and an, uh... convention-defying main menu experience, I think it's quite worth a try. Just remember to rebind all controls before even thinking of playing. And keep in mind that the "in-flight menu" is not a "main menu" but rather used for communications, and is going to be used in-flight pretty often.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: December 08, 2015, 03:52:03 pm »

Sadly according to Steam reviews Echelon has a slight problem with compatability as Steam is not GoG so you MIGHT (will) have some (many) problems running it.
Still it's dirt cheap and recieved fairly good reviews in its time.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: December 08, 2015, 05:00:18 pm »

Man check out the new Neo Geo Humble Bundle. You can preview play the games in your browser, it's cool as hell.

By the way, while we are at that (HiB): Humble Bundle has allowed for a while to donate to custom charities.

Soo.... may I suggest donating to the  New York Stem Cell Foundation? Ever since HiB made this an option all my pledges have gone there.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: December 08, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: December 08, 2015, 11:07:57 pm »

Sadly according to Steam reviews Echelon has a slight problem with compatability as Steam is not GoG so you MIGHT (will) have some (many) problems running it.
Still it's dirt cheap and recieved fairly good reviews in its time.
Uh, actually. The game didn't launch for me as well. The first time.

The solution is rock-ass-simple if you actually look at what the .bat console window is telling you. You just need to go and run the .bat file in the game's folder as an administrator, so that it will set the necessary registry keys successfully. That was the extent of "compatibility issues" I've had so far.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: December 10, 2015, 02:10:56 pm »

This week's Weekly Humble Bundle is looking pretty weak. HB pimps out the Total War games so hard and so often.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: December 11, 2015, 12:25:46 am »

combat flight simulator featuring futuristic VTOL fighter/bomber/gunship craft
That... actually sounds pretty cool... and it's only 35 cents? I don't think I've ever seen a game this cheap before.

I'm the type of guy that doesn't like to just buy one thing per transaction, and I saw War for the Overworld is on sale on Stema as well... is it worth 20 dollars?

I have about 21 dollars in my steam wallet so I wouldn't even need to take out my credit card, so the offer is rather tempting.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: December 11, 2015, 08:00:57 am »

combat flight simulator featuring futuristic VTOL fighter/bomber/gunship craft
That... actually sounds pretty cool... and it's only 35 cents? I don't think I've ever seen a game this cheap before.

I'm the type of guy that doesn't like to just buy one thing per transaction, and I saw War for the Overworld is on sale on Stema as well... is it worth 20 dollars?

I have about 21 dollars in my steam wallet so I wouldn't even need to take out my credit card, so the offer is rather tempting.

Last time i read on War for the Overworld it was a mess where most features didn't work (like the save feature for example). However that was a few months ago so i guess you should read up the changelogs.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:03 am »

GOG has gone into finale mode... all the big bundles are back for a day, then all the daily deals tomorrow.

Down at the bottom of the daily sales, a banner with Giants: Citizen Kabuto for free!!!  Click the button (when logged in, presumably), get the game.  The only confirmation I got was the button went from "free" to "claimed", so I suspect I'll get an email like usual when the gift transaction is done.

EDIT: Got the email after about 10 minutes... not bad.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:07:42 pm by aristabulus »
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: December 15, 2015, 02:54:17 am »

The solution is rock-ass-simple if you actually look at what the .bat console window is telling you. You just need to go and run the .bat file in the game's folder as an administrator, so that it will set the necessary registry keys successfully. That was the extent of "compatibility issues" I've had so far.
That didn't work for me. My solution was more complicated. First, use the patch, and if you still have issues try command prompt. As the guy posted you want to make sure you're only running the update thingy once or else you'll have to reinstall the game, which is what I ended up having to do.

Haven't actually tried a mission yet, but I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow. Intro cutscene made me giggle a little at the Bitching Betty.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: December 15, 2015, 05:02:30 am »

Intro cutscene made me giggle a little at the Bitching Betty.
Hehe, yeah. "Altitude, altitude!" That bit reminded me of a screenshot I saw in one of the early reviews of IL-2 Sturmovik. It showed a plane, plummeting to the ground, riddled with holes, missing roughly 1.6 wings and half the tail, and on fire. The ingame alert system complemented that picture with a very helpful notice: "flaps jammed". It'd only have been funnier if it mentioned landing gear. :P

Sadly you don't get that in the game itself. Not even about altitude. With how often you fly hugging the ground, it'd have gotten old very fast. :P

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:37 am »

Guilty Gear Xrd is on Steam and on sale (20%, HKD 142.40, USD 18.37 according to Google), it will end in less than 30 hours.

Some reviews mentioned technical problems, but so far I encountered none of them out of two days of play (2+ hr sessions). The key bindings a little bit inconvenient (keys to use navigate menus are separate from those you use to play and cannot be remapped), but the devs responded and are looking into improving it.

So far it's a blast. Very pretty, solid game play like previous Guilty Gear games. A very detailed tutorial mode, arcade, M.O.M., vs (off- and online, haven't tried online yet), challenges and missions.

Gallery to collect stuff with virtual money, unlocking art and voice packs, and more characters in the future.

And a story mode where you just watch - multi-episode fully voice-acted animations, broken into chapters (between which you can save/quit). It's *REALLY* long. I've spent over 2 hours on this and it has no sign of ending yet.

Music rocks like usual Arc Sys games, and the graphics are supreb - the instant kills and overdrives especially. I'm very impressed with Sol's Dragon Install - I scream like a madman when I use it, and I am scared when the AI boss use it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:40:45 am by kcwong »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: December 18, 2015, 04:39:41 am »

So I got drunk and pre-ordered the remastered Dragon Dogma on GMG with a 23% coupon (23 USD). While I'm not really a massive aRPG fan I did enjoy the hell out of Dark Souls and places like /v/ were hyping the crap out of it. Did I screw up? I haven't really found an aRPG with as satisfying combat as DS (I'm a claymore kiddy), I found the combat in the Witcher 3 particularly horrible.

Also yes I know pre-order culture and all that but I thought the entry price was pretty decent. Hopefully it isn't a typical Japanese PC release but it seems to be 1080p 60fps at least.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: December 19, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »

So I got drunk and pre-ordered the remastered Dragon Dogma on GMG with a 23% coupon (23 USD). While I'm not really a massive aRPG fan I did enjoy the hell out of Dark Souls and places like /v/ were hyping the crap out of it. Did I screw up? I haven't really found an aRPG with as satisfying combat as DS (I'm a claymore kiddy), I found the combat in the Witcher 3 particularly horrible.

Also yes I know pre-order culture and all that but I thought the entry price was pretty decent. Hopefully it isn't a typical Japanese PC release but it seems to be 1080p 60fps at least.

Dragon's Dogma is heavier than 'Souls is in combat feel (you can't just roll all over the place, and the weapons feel weighty), but has some crazy moves like launching allies into the air with greatswords so it's not exactly on the realistic side of the spectrum.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It opens up like it's going to be a linear experience (and I don't know why they did this), but once you hit the main city about an hour or so in it opens right up and offers you a variety of jobs and main quests to take out at your leisure, or you can just go exploring.

The game is a bit janky and unpolished, but it tries to do a lot of ambitious things and usually hits the mark. The magic system in particular is of note, being one of the only games where mages feel like actual powerful wielders of the elements that can decimate a battlefield instead of machineguns that piddle out generic firebolt spells.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the port ends up being good and you like slower paced aRPGs, I don't see any problem with it.
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1134