Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457338 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12510 on: November 28, 2015, 05:39:56 am »

The only problem I had with Unity was that for some games the sides of the screen would be cut off. Then I got a huge widescreen monitor. Problem solved.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: November 28, 2015, 11:05:10 am »

Why is Unity problematic? Just personal preferences or are Unity games problematic in any way? Asking because I did play few Unity games (KSP is one of them, at least) and everything seemed fine?

As far as I know, Unity is a little like a more professional Gamemaker in that it's a really accessible engine that let's people make games without, necessarily, a lot of money or experience. So you can definitely make awesome games in Unity, but you can also make poorly-optimized resource hogs that don't work consistently, or that don't handle Unity's quirks well (see: Akura's screen getting cut-off, other examples I'm blanking on). I miss anything?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12512 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49:17 am »

You'd certainly need more experience for unity, it doesn't have that drag/drop thing gm studio has, and its mostly setup for 3d games I believe.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12513 on: November 28, 2015, 12:11:53 pm »

Also not helping: the free version of Unity forces use of their splash screen.  Paid users (that are more likely to know how to use the tools well) can skip the Unity splash.

Unity gets a bad rap because of it, unfairly.  It's kinda like blaming Hope Depot because some jerk bought a hammer from them, then he used it to break some of your stuff.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12514 on: November 28, 2015, 03:02:20 pm »

You'd certainly need more experience for unity, it doesn't have that drag/drop thing gm studio has, and its mostly setup for 3d games I believe.
Right, sorry, should mention that for full context. GM has drag-and-drop programming as well as scripting, Unity is lets you do a few things by altering attributes on objects/attaching scripts to them, but it's much more regular programming. I think Unity used to not have any direct 2d support at all ("2d" games were just 3d games laid out on a plane, iirc), but I think they've added more 2d options in the past few years.

Also not helping: the free version of Unity forces use of their splash screen.  Paid users (that are more likely to know how to use the tools well) can skip the Unity splash.

Unity gets a bad rap because of it, unfairly.  It's kinda like blaming Hope Depot because some jerk bought a hammer from them, then he used it to break some of your stuff.

Ho, yeah. Maybe more like "then that jerk made an ugly shed with it", since as far as I know bad Unity games don't usually cause damage, but obvious free version + mediocre games definitely doesn't help the rep.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12515 on: November 28, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »

I'm actually annoyed at this one: the Steam frontpage image for Farming Simulator 2015 shows the Gold Edition for it, but gives the price for the non-Gold Edition, which is on sale at $9.99. The Gold Edition is nearly twice the price - and that's not counting the other DLC(which is all about $14 total).

I suppose there's not much demand for a farming simulator. Then again, I did play FS2013 and found it enjoyable up until I broke it with beehives.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: November 28, 2015, 08:02:43 pm »

SimFarm still exists. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12517 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:39 pm »

Lost Planet 2 is only 5$ on steam right now. I cannot recommend this game enough. It is some of the most fun I've had playing co-op with friends. We played it on ps3 back in the day and now we've all grabbed it on steam and having a blast again.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: December 01, 2015, 07:54:34 am »

Ugh, so many steam cards...
I should just sell them at the price for the instant sell huh...
2c back for each...

EDIT::

Side note...

Wat?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:58:32 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12519 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:00 am »

Card prices went up before the autumn sales started, I think (some of my overpriced cards sold), I assume in anticipation of an event involving them. Then they dropped again, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: December 01, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »

Jade Empire is currently free on Origin, in case anyone wants to grab that one.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12521 on: December 01, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: December 01, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »

free
on Origin

I am so torn right now.

I'd say it's worth waiting for GOG's Xmas sale, and picking it up for three bucks... just to not have Origin installed.

I was slightly tempted by the last on-the-house thing, Red Alert 2 Gold, but I beat the stuffing out of it when it was new, and I have plenty of games I've never played before.  :P

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12523 on: December 02, 2015, 11:15:53 am »

free
on Origin

I am so torn right now.

I'd say it's worth waiting for GOG's Xmas sale, and picking it up for three bucks... just to not have Origin installed.

I was slightly tempted by the last on-the-house thing, Red Alert 2 Gold, but I beat the stuffing out of it when it was new, and I have plenty of games I've never played before.  :P

Speaking of GOG's winter sale, it's on right now.  http://www.gog.com/

Great deals so far, and Valhalla Halls released which looks interesting.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12524 on: December 02, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »

Speaking of GOG's winter sale, it's on right now.  http://www.gog.com/

Great deals so far, and Valhalla Halls released which looks interesting.

...how's that for timing?  ^___^

I'm not seeing anything extraordinary for the first round...  but that's no real surprise, as they just had an autumn sale maybe 4 weeks ago.

I find it a little irritating that they keep bringing back the mystery box gifts; it's probably working out for them, but I'm really not interested in rolling the dice.

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1134