Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457477 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12420 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »

You don't even have to bother doing the fighting after the first time, as far as I've seen in videos of 2205. You can just get more people and the corp lv.up will handwave the fight out of the way. Though you also don't get to see what shenanigans the AI is up to either.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:25 pm »

2205 is pretty much rabbit hole central and pay your way out of having to think about and protect ships going between islands. All conflicts are in separate maps, away from your happy little island of people where they won't be terrorized by the evil Moon Men.

So it turned into an iphone game?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: November 07, 2015, 11:18:24 pm »

2205 is pretty much rabbit hole central and pay your way out of having to think about and protect ships going between islands. All conflicts are in separate maps, away from your happy little island of people where they won't be terrorized by the evil Moon Men.

So it turned into an iphone game?

No, it turned into a Ubisoft game.
badumtish

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: November 08, 2015, 12:32:24 am »

Hey, there's actual combat in assassins creed II.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:03 am »

What exactly is Anno? Is it a city builder? A 4X? I can't really tell what it's supposed to be.

I'm looking at the most recent release on Steam, and just about every negative review is more for uplay than the game itself. The game is praised quite highly in many cases.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: November 08, 2015, 12:42:11 am »

2205 is pretty, safe, and dumbed down. Anno is basically just a little casual city builder now. It used to be much more of a 4x a few games back.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: November 08, 2015, 02:08:57 am »

Anno 2205, while it has rather cool module addons so you don't need quite as much building spam for the same efficiency, is also afflicted by uplay and ubisoft/blue byte not realizing that while it is nice to be able to into space...there are also other city building games out there, and they focus on the building better than anno, because the people are not the point in the end in anno, your economy is. From what I've seen in videos you don't even have to bother keeping track of where your logistics is or where the house support buildings are close enough to the houses, the former just makes it cost less trucks and the latter is either fufilled or isn't island-wide it seems. You do however get to know exact proportions of production chains in the tooltip, which is quite convienient.

Anno 1404 is a game about trying to squeeze as much production as you can out of a map of generated islands, with the southern islands having special oriental goods your northern occidental fancypants population will want eventually. Everything must be within range of a warehouse, a city center, or a super monument. If a house is outside the influence zone of something it needs it will not upgrade to bigger, more taxable personship, even if the building could reasonably be seen over all the buildings in-between them and it. There are pirates if you enable them. The AI is sharing the map with you and will claim islands if you don't. It can also be traded with or beatup if you bother to build a military. Your flagship (and your trade ships, and your warships) can do more than fetch quests, although the quest variety is still crap. The neutral traders will do more than mooch off your monetary income when you need materials, and in fact have preferences on what they'd pay more to buy off you if its available for trade. Your trade routes do not spring into implied-existence perfectly safe and instantly changable, you need to build the boats. And then you need to setup the trade route, and maybe pay off the pirates temporarily while you're at it. Then the boats will shift your occident crap south and your sandy orient crap north, or your mined resources to your giant island full of production instead of leaving them on the tiny little source isle. Assuming the ships aren't attacked by your enemies (if any) and can actually hold all the cargo you want on the boat, of course. You do not get nagged by npcs to go play the combat mode because there is no seperate combat missions to go on.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: November 08, 2015, 04:15:06 am »

What exactly is Anno? Is it a city builder? A 4X? I can't really tell what it's supposed to be.

I'm looking at the most recent release on Steam, and just about every negative review is more for uplay than the game itself. The game is praised quite highly in many cases.
It's a city builder, mainly. You have to create buildings which produce resources for your citizens, with those citizens requiring more goods with more complicated resource chains as they level up and provide you with more buildings. These resource chains will often require goods to be moved about by ship, which is where the RTS-lite bit comes in, you can make ships (and in EG Anno 2070, aircraft and submarines as well) which can defend your own ships/ports and attack others. The campaign consists of a bunch of handmade maps with specific objectives you have to fulfill, either economic or military, and scripted events/dialogue. I think there's PvP too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: November 08, 2015, 06:40:08 am »

It's basically a somewhat restricted city builder with goals. Building your city involves acquiring resources and building production chains in addition to the actual population. However, there are no things like economy sliders or advisers or bylaws and the like. There is a tax slider but you can make money through other means, taxes are just the most passive way to do so.

I'd argue it is actually falls pretty close to the "fort simulation" vein of DF/DK/etc. The scope is broader, though, you're not interacting with individual units as you do in those games (with rare exceptions, such as vessels and aircraft).

I actually like Anno 2070 the most, but I don't know for sure if that's because if "gamer's first game" nostalgia factor. I tried 1404/DoD but I felt it was a more frustrating experience than 2070, because of the improvements to the interface there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:42:26 am by Niveras »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: November 08, 2015, 10:46:41 am »

Kinda sounds like the old Caesar games. Or Caesar III at least.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: November 08, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

You might be able to see that huge cathedral over there but can you walk there in a reasonable period of time while getting the rest of your daily needs accomplished? I always saw the needs radius as a time factor, not a "is it there" factor. The big radii are for infrequent visits.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: November 08, 2015, 12:14:49 pm »

Edit: actually I'm making a new thread
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: November 08, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »

Alas, I still cannot purchase from GOG. Limited research suggests that it's because US banks don't like the EU. Steam does not have 1604, 1503, or 1701. I did already buy 1404/Dawn of Discovery from Steam, though, having previously... played it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: November 08, 2015, 03:32:48 pm »

Long story short. It's a mashup of Impressions city builders with some relatively mild RTS games with every game taking place on a large archipelago.
Houses to grow need food and goods (the higher level the house the more different goods it needs) and one island (or even two) can't produce all the needed goods so you need to trade or colonize different islands (and then protect the convoys from pirates).

Basically it's kinda like Caesar 3 if the game was more focused on efficient layouts of production buildings and less on managing retarded walkers.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »

Just saw a post from GOG about "Classic X-Pack Up to -75%", which includes all games (except X Rebirth), for 11.46$ atm.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1134