Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457850 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12240 on: October 06, 2015, 01:34:52 pm »

The humble bundle updated with new games which I am not interested so I now have keys for the following to give away:

Gone Home With Soundtrack
Deponia
Chaos on Deponia
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:28:45 pm by forsaken1111 »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: October 09, 2015, 11:15:26 am »

The humble bundle updated with new games which I am not interested so I now have keys for the following to give away:

Gone Home With Soundtrack
Deponia
Chaos on Deponia

On Steam I saw some people I know bought Goodbye Deponia. I asked if he knows it's only 1/3 of the story, and that he should get the complete series first.

... two weeks later I saw him starting to get achievements.  :-\

Who started this trend of episodic adventure games anyway? Back then we have a full game from the get go, if more comes afterwards those are called sequels, not the next portion of a single game. Was it TellTales?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:58 am »

I don't know where it really started, but I know why it's started. Those kinds of games basically liken themselves to TV. They care more about story craft than content, and so can make you wait three months for something that gets played and done in 20 minutes. They're typically small studios that can't afford to do their entire vision in EA, because they need to get paid now. So they take what would be like a $20 complete game, and break it up into multiple $10 episodic installments.

I guess if you truly like something the price is irrelevant, but when I've paid $60 for an episodic game that gives me maybe 2 hours of total playtime, and will probably never get replayed.....it doesn't get me reaching for my wallet for more of the same.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:28 pm »

Telltale has basically made a thing out of them making episodic games. Supposedly they aren't too bad.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: October 09, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »

It's a trend from visual novels, IIRC, where (just like books) sometimes there was an book 1/2/... to the story. I find that often visual novels stories tend to cost a bit less and last a fair bit longer per episode than their Americanized equivalents, though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: October 09, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »

Speaking of Telltale and episodic gameplay, there's currently a Telltale sale going on on Steam where you get up to 75% off basically all of their titles but the newest and the one that hasn't come out yet. Again speaking of things that haven't come out yet (and makes no sense to me but whatever), Minecraft: Story Mode, the newest Telltale story, is on a 10% off prerelease sale.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:27 pm »

As far as I can remember, it was telltale that started it with the "new" (2006) sam and max games. It was episodic because it was originally released on gametap, which is (was? don't know if it still exists) sort of like netflix for video games. So they released one episode per month, to stretch it out and help justify those monthly subscriptions.

It was a really popular series, so telltale must have figured why fix something that works? and just kept making episodic games.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »

I have a copy of Andrew Rollings & Erneast Adams On Game Design published in 2003. It has a section on episodic delivery. It basically says nobody was doing it yet, though a lot of industry people had expressed interest in the idea due to ballooning dev costs, and basically the idea that you can charge people a subscription to play each episode, similar to how early MMO subscriptions already worked.

They note an early attempt was Majestic from EA in 2001.

As for episodic VNs, the canonical one would be Higurashi. And the first of those came out near the end of 2002. Way too soon to have influenced the start of episodic games in America like Telltale.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:37:45 pm by Reelya »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12248 on: October 09, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »

You guys are thinking much too recent for the origins of game episodes.
Nearly every shareware game back in the 80s onward was episodic, with the first chapter/part being freely available, and latter ones being purchase only.
Other than the obvious technological changes, there is generally a larger focus on modern episodic games than there was back then.
Well, that and it's pretty rare to find anything resembling a shareware first chapter anymore.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: October 09, 2015, 01:02:05 pm »

Certain early games also did this as well as far as terminology is concerned, though each "episode" was distinctly larger.  Commander Keen is the first example that comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure both Doom and Wolfenstein 3D did it.  It's probably worth noting that these are all from the same company (Id Software), and this practice also ended well before Telltale joined the fray. 

EDIT: Ah, as above, and n9103 is also correct to note the idea of releasing the first chapter as shareware. 

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12250 on: October 09, 2015, 01:10:22 pm »

At almost exactly the same time that Telltale started their first episodic release there were also several others that were trying out the Episodic Content idea with HL2:EP1 and the first(and what ended up being only)SiN Episodes being notable members that either failed to learn to count to 2a or flopped.

While Shareware is a somewhat similar idea, it also has the significant difference in giving away the first episode for free while these were trying to get people to buy into the series without that(although IIRC telltale did end up releasing one of the Sam&Max episodes for free).
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12251 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:03 pm »

Back on topic: GOG's got a squeenix sale this weekend.
http://www.gog.com/promo/square_enix_weekend_promo_091015

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: October 09, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »

There were plenty of chapter-based games that didn't do the first free, though, or had the shareware give only limited access to the first chapter (basically a demo). Would say there was a bit of a drought for the things for a while, and that they've now apparently switched genres -- about the most likely ones to work like that were platformers, followed by FPS games, iirc, then other stuff. It actually wasn't common at all for point & click et al, from what I can recall -- but yeah, the whole episodic thing isn't exactly new.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »

While Shareware is a somewhat similar idea, it also has the significant difference in giving away the first episode for free while these were trying to get people to buy into the series without that(although IIRC telltale did end up releasing one of the Sam&Max episodes for free).

Yeah, I'd say the shareware model is more in the vein of an extended demo that acts as advertising. It's more like viral marketing than a true episodic delivery system. You play the demo, then you get the marketing speil, and are expected to buy the full version. "full version" gives away that it is not truly episodic.

Episodic delivery revolves around buying ongoing episodes as separate purchases.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:24:24 pm by Reelya »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12254 on: October 09, 2015, 07:52:51 pm »

feel free to complain to half the devs/publishers that called them episodes then. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1134