Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457929 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12165 on: September 18, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »

To clarify, (nearly) all Origin titles require Origin to be installed. That includes RA2&Yuri.
Yes, just like almost all steam titles require steam to be installed. But at least they've dropped their more draconian DRM models.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12166 on: September 18, 2015, 05:27:12 pm »

Actually, quite a few Steam games *don't* need steam, especially, but not limited to, non-AAA games.
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »

Actually, quite a few Steam games *don't* need steam, especially, but not limited to, non-AAA games.

You'll still need steam to install it though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: September 18, 2015, 05:47:47 pm »

No, usually steam is only one of distribution platforms for those games. While most of newer origin titles are origin-only.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: September 18, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »

Origin doesn't seem problematic. It's not like SecuROM or Starforce, as far as I can tell.

My biggest beef with Origin is limited installs. Which includes "reinstalling" a game after changing any one of CPU, video card, RAM, operating system, and possibly hard drive.
What? Origin lets you install games unlimited and doesn't check if your hardware has changed.
The limited install crap was EA's pre-Origin DRM. They dropped that quite some time ago.

Actually, I was confusing Origin and Uplay. (I'm also not 100% sure if Uplay also has limited installs or if that was a misunderstanding with something else.)

So never mind me.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: September 18, 2015, 06:31:55 pm »

Origin doesn't seem problematic. It's not like SecuROM or Starforce, as far as I can tell.

My biggest beef with Origin is limited installs. Which includes "reinstalling" a game after changing any one of CPU, video card, RAM, operating system, and possibly hard drive.
What? Origin lets you install games unlimited and doesn't check if your hardware has changed.
The limited install crap was EA's pre-Origin DRM. They dropped that quite some time ago.

Actually, I was confusing Origin and Uplay. (I'm also not 100% sure if Uplay also has limited installs or if that was a misunderstanding with something else.)

So never mind me.
I don't think Uplay has limited install either. That said, it is a pretty bad... platform? Whatever stuff like Steam and Origin are.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12171 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »

yes there are some games that don't but MOST do

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: September 18, 2015, 07:20:02 pm »

Still, unlike Origin it's not Steam creating the games and enforcing the DRM on them. Devs/publishers choose to use it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12173 on: September 18, 2015, 09:50:44 pm »

Feel free to compile a list and show that it's larger.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:06 pm »

I don't need to. There are 519 games in the no-DRM list you provided. As of 2014 there were more than 3700 games in Steam. Therefore most games in Steam are not DRM-free. QED

Edit: amended to include Dosbox games, Sega Emulator games, Flash games (???), and "Games that have DRM but can be patched away" (which I think shouldn't even make the list, but I'm being generous)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:03:52 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12175 on: September 19, 2015, 06:31:38 am »

I was going to post more or less what ChairmanPoo did, so there you go. The 'norm' for steam games is that you must have steam running, in online or offline mode, to play the game. There are some exceptions, yes, and they are great. I love KSP for not using steam's DRM for example because I can keep multiple copies with different mod builds easily.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12176 on: September 19, 2015, 08:08:38 am »

And how many in your "list" are complete crap/shovelware that don't deserve to be on either list?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:25 am »

Also, how many in that list will open perfectly fine if you run them directly from their folder, despite being from steam?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12178 on: September 19, 2015, 08:34:30 am »

And how many in your "list" are complete crap/shovelware that don't deserve to be on either list?
I don't know. I'm also not terribly interested in knowing. I'm not sure why you think its so important to discuss whether a majority of games on steam can or cannot be played without steam running but its not a discussion that interests me and its not really in line with the thread topic so this is the last I'll post on the matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: September 19, 2015, 11:23:05 am »

why its important to discuss whether a majority of games on steam can or cannot be played without steam running
I think it's important. If you want DRM-free, and quite a few people do, Steam poses a problem, as whereas admittedly there's a sizeable group that *is*, most steam games are NOT DRM-free, and furthermore, there is no easy way to find out whether a game is or isn't (Unlike in, say, Humble Bundle, which at least tells you at a glance wheter a game has DRM or not, AND allows you to browse only DRM-free games. Or in GOG, where you already know that all games will be DRM-free, at least in regards to SP)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1134