Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457997 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11925 on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:13 pm »

Removed a link to the Amazon sale. Turns out things are being marked up and then "discounted" to something in the ballpark or higher than the undiscounted price.

Classy. Which companies do I need to boycott?

Further information is not available here.

I don't know if it was something that Amazon itself did, something that widget manufacturers did, or something that third-party sellers did, so I'm going to refrain from guessing. The things I saw weren't in the gaming section anyway, though there very well might be a few examples.
For digital games only Amazon is the shop, technically EA and Sony also can sell digital goods too along side.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

An update on GOG, apparently they have just released 3 Warhammer games:

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate
Warhammer 40,000: Final Liberation

From what I know of these games, they are all top down strategy games to some degree. Shadow of the Horned Rat is a campaign focused game with battles like Medieval: Total War but no province capturing. Party based in a way, you have an army and you need to carefully fight battles so you have enough resources for later on. Find and collect magic items and banners to equip your squads to give them bonuses in combat. Conserve your forces and buy new units as you gain money from completing missions.

Final Liberation is, again, a campaign focused game. It might have provinces to take and hold. It is based on Warhammer 40,000 Epic, a side game of 40,000 that focused on battles of huge scale with lots of tanks, titans and large squads of infantry. Similar to Apocalypse now but the models were about 6mm high. Liberate the planet of Volistad from an Ork invasion commanding forces of Space Marines, Imperial Guard armour detatchments and titans.

I haven't played or seen gameplay footage of Chaos Gate, but it seems to be also squad focused turn based combat.I do know that the music is very neat, organ and choir style.
Lead the Ultramarines against Chaos forces as you try and recover a pre-heresy artefact across multiple missions.

All three games are quite difficult. Troops lost are lost permanently, death is quick and unexpected. You can often name your units though so playing a game with personal troops would make for nice narratives.

Edit: As a small addition, I will remark that there is a sequel of sorts for "Shadow of the Horned Rat" called "Dark Omen" which continues the story of the main character from SotHR but against an undead incursion. I do not know whether GOG is planning to add this one as well, but if you like the first game maybe look into it's sequel.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:28:20 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: July 16, 2015, 12:24:29 pm »

All three games were great fun back in the day. I have very fond memories of SotHR. However, its graphics have aged the worst of the three.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: July 16, 2015, 01:17:06 pm »

When I got the email saying GoG had Warhammer games my first thought was to hope for Chaos Gate. That game was awesome. I'll have to pick it up again before I can actually recommend it but I had roughly the same level of fun with it that I had with X-Com back in the day.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:47 pm »

I haven't played or seen gameplay footage of Chaos Gate, but it seems to be also squad focused turn based combat.I do know that the music is very neat, organ and choir style.
Lead the Ultramarines against Chaos forces as you try and recover a pre-heresy artefact across multiple missions.
The game box for Chaos Gate showed a Chaos Marine triumphant over a dead Ultramarine. This is about as accurate as it gets to the game.
It has no mercy.

Fun though. Watching chaos cultists explode into gore from bolter shots is always satisfying.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: July 16, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »

Minor warning about chaos gate -- it apparent has pretty serious technical issues, especially on newer computers. "People can't get it to run regardless of what they do" type issues. Presumably GOG has fixed that, but you might want to check/wait for reviews, etc., to make sure before you get it, if you're interested in playing.

Which I heard comes recommended, as posts made while I was typing seem to support, ha. It's supposed to be pretty decent, if a little clumsy, if you can get it to work.

Final Liberation's pretty neat, too. Kinda' slow, but neat. It's the only one of the three I've actually played, heh. Basically a turn based tactical game... if I had to draw parallels to another game, it would probably be to Spellcross, which is amazing.

As for Shadows of the Horned Rat... the games they're closest to is the Myth (Fallen Lords, Soulblighter, Wolf Age) series, which came a little later, if you're looking for something a bit more recent along the same lines of gameplay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »

I managed to get it running on windows 8.1 before.
EDIT: But GOG generally has games made functional for all platforms they supply it for. Part of their thing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: July 16, 2015, 08:37:44 pm »

Humble Bundle currently has Guns of Icarus on sale for the cheapest level bundle.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »

I can just say anyone worried about Chaos Gate can likely rest fairly easy. I bought it and it ran fine on my windows 7 laptop.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:21 pm »

I can just say anyone worried about Chaos Gate can likely rest fairly easy. I bought it and it ran fine on my windows 7 laptop.

Nice! I used to have a blast playing that. I'll have to pick it up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:36 pm »

I have read of one bug for Chaos Gate with a fix, I do not know if it is already fixed by GOG but I'll add the solution here anyway.

If you get a game crash upon engaging cultists, it is due to a sound file being mislabelled. Copied from the GOG forums;

1. Find "WeapDef.dat" file in "Data" folder .

2. In this file replace PlazPistHit.wav with PlazpistHit.wav .

3. Save changes & run the game - all will be fine .

This thread also has a solution for a possible no sound problem. I do not have Chaos Gate so I cannot say whether it works or not.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: July 16, 2015, 11:18:21 pm »

That bug doesn't seem to be in the GoG version, Cultist fired pointlessly at my space marines just fine. Sound works as is, video works as is, speed and responsiveness seem fine. Black borders on edges of screen since small resolution made for non widescreen, but otherwise fine.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: July 17, 2015, 11:48:51 am »

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/art-of-war-bundle-reloaded/

blitzkrieg, cossacks, earth 21xx, and some other stuff for 2.50

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11938 on: July 17, 2015, 12:36:54 pm »

Cossacks 2 is awesome. Love that game. The Blitzkrieg's are also interesting. Not too sure about the others!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11939 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45:28 pm »

Pretty tempting sale indeed. I already have all Cossacks 1 (bar that dlc) and sadly AC is without it's (troublesome) second expansion, but still tempting... until I saw everything is Steam-bound. Call me picky, but when it comes to old games, I trust GoG more. Still, I've heard all games there being branded at least as "decent" so if anyone else is not bothered by Steam, I'd say grab it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1134