Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457829 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - LAG INCLUDED WITH EVERY PURCHASE]
« Reply #11835 on: June 22, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »

There have been way too many early access flops. I won't even touch AAA unless they turn out to be good months after release. Why would I bet on every single early access before they've reached 1.0? The number of people with an interesting idea that get bored or figure out that updating is such a huge chore they weren't prepared for far outnumbers people that see things through to the end. Devs have said this out loud. Some dread making more games because they can barely keep up with their first and they don't want to see their baby unfinished. Very, very few games are wonderful and could stand on their own at version 0.08. A team with a plan can go far.

Rockstar. Print up another run of GTAV DVD's, patched to actually work, without Rockstar online and you've got my money. I know what that game is and I'd pay $60 or less for it, but it has to work without eating up a fair chunk of my monthly bandwidth.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: June 22, 2015, 01:21:44 pm »

Rockstar. Print up another run of GTAV DVD's, patched to actually work, without Rockstar online and you've got my money. I know what that game is and I'd pay $60 or less for it, but it has to work without eating up a fair chunk of my monthly bandwidth.
This will not happen, GTA5 sold because of Online and they expect it to continue making profits as they add in more missions. You are better off asking a buddy to hand you a usb copy of their install folder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: June 22, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »

I escaped unscathed this round. Looking at my backlog convinced me to wait on Oblivion til there's another sale, and anything in Early Access is automatically a no-sale for me. Plus, I'm waiting on That Which Sleeps.

+1 to the fail-to-finish woes that Early Access breeds. Every one I've bought has been a failure, so at this point I'm waiting on proof that a product can finish. The fact that all the ones I semi-watch for the past couple years haven't made release despite being "finished enough to sell" really gives a bad name to the entire process for me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: June 22, 2015, 01:54:03 pm »

This will not happen, GTA5 sold because of Online and they expect it to continue making profits as they add in more missions. You are better off asking a buddy to hand you a usb copy of their install folder.

They'll do some patched anniversary edition 10 years down the road.

+1 to the fail-to-finish woes that Early Access breeds. Every one I've bought has been a failure, so at this point I'm waiting on proof that a product can finish. The fact that all the ones I semi-watch for the past couple years haven't made release despite being "finished enough to sell" really gives a bad name to the entire process for me.

Kerbal and Prison Architect have done pretty well and the devs want a finished product, but that's two in a sea of failures.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: June 22, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »

Xenonauts turned out good.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »

I find that a better rule of thumb for early access is "don't buy anything unless you're happy with what it is now", just because it might get abandoned later doesn't mean it isn't worth checking out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:26:45 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: June 22, 2015, 02:48:11 pm »

I purchased a few more Lego games this sale (amongst some other stuff) and decided to play a few that I had partially completed.

FYI, The Hobbit pretty closely follows the movies. It was also released in early 2014.

As such, there are no plans to release the ending. Smaug flies off toward Lake Town and... roll credits.

I only bring this up as the Lego games go on 75% off sales quite often and I think you should be at least made aware of this if you were thinking of picking it up.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11843 on: June 22, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »

Xenonauts turned out good.
And Divinity:OS, and Wasteland 2, and Grim Dawn (eventually... steady progress though), and Factorio, and Underrail, and Project Zomboid (might be debated), and NEO Scavenger, and...

Sure there's tons of shovelware and plenty of disappointing development, but there's also more than just a few good ones out there.
Be skeptical of E.A., sure, but there's no need to be a complete cynic, and I would know about cynicism. ;)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: June 22, 2015, 04:23:31 pm »

My track record with EA has been pretty good. Of the 10 or so Kickstarter/EA games I've gotten, only one or two have failed to finish or didn't finish well. I wouldn't recommend buying most EA games though since playing that early can and will affect your opinion of the final release. Very few EA games have the legs before release to support more than a few hours, even if they are technically solid and bug free on Day 1.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: June 22, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »

I keep confusing the "EA" acronym as it relates to early access with EA, the publisher.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11846 on: June 22, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »

We don't mention the latter round these parts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: June 22, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »

I keep confusing the "EA" acronym as it relates to early access with EA, the publisher.

You're not too far off.....

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: June 22, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

Is War of the Human Tanks worth the $4 it's on sale for? It's pushing my Advance Wars nostalgia buttons, and the premise of
story driven strategy game with a gameplay reminiscent of Battleship and Chess, featuring a story of war, loyalty, sacrifice and human shaped tanks
combined with dark humor and cheerful suicide-bombers instead of War Is Bad anvils sounds fun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »

Waveform is 19 cents. I have only heard a little about it but I'd say it looks interesting enough to grab at that price.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1134