Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457555 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - LAG INCLUDED WITH EVERY PURCHASE]
« Reply #11685 on: June 16, 2015, 02:39:47 pm »

What you seems not to get is that we are not arguing what is deceptive. That's pretty much black and white, and not in abstract ethicland.

You are the one arguing on ethic ground that, as far as I am concerned, has no place in the business world

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: June 16, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »

Early Access = Cheaper then Normal Price
Launch(Come out of Early Access, version 1.0) = Normal Price
Sale = -% of Normal Price

I don't see the problem here.  Even if the Launch was the same day as the Sale.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:04 pm »

Early Access = Cheaper then Normal Price
Launch(Come out of Early Access, version 1.0) = Normal Price
Sale = -% of Normal Price

I don't see the problem here.  Even if the Launch was the same day as the Sale.
That is not what people are currently complaining about. 0x517A5D is complaining about the fact that the game released before the sale started with the prices raised and then gave it a 20% off discount right off the start

Sappho's answer is probably the best response here (that Early Access and Full release are different versions and its normal for a game to go on a slight discount upon release), and this argument has gone on a bit too long, so can we agree to drop it? We're not exactly getting anywhere, and as Dice pointed out, Tabletop Simulator is far from the worst offender if it is an offender at all.

Did the Total War series actually get discounted? Because Medieval II and its expansion have been 50% off since the Sale started and it hasn't dropped further. Seems like a weird thing to me since its gone for 75% off recently too.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11688 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

Sale on launch sounds like a gradual increase of price during the transition to final.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »

Dominions 4 is $8.74 (75% off the standard price of $35) for the next 9 hours.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »

Is Dominions 4 worth it? I play a lot of Paradox games and also some Civilization V. Could I be interested in Dominions 4? Does it require my friends to also have it to play great games?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:30 pm »

It's definitely better in multiplayer, but it's still pretty darn engaging in single player, especially until you get settled in to it. It's fairly easy to find a dominions game to join in on, though. Just be aware that they tend towards being long -- the one I've been in so far took somewhere around six months, all told, to run to completion, though it's not uncommon for things to take less time than that. If you're into paradox stuff, you might be interested enough in dominions.

My recommendation: Try the dominions 3 demo -- links are near the bottom of that page. It's close enough in general gameplay to get a good feel for dom 4, which is mostly D3 with fairly significant UI, playability, and content improvements. If that gets your attention, and you've got the cash for it, grab Dom 4.

Also, we have a dom 4 thread, and there's several games being ran in play with your buddies -- plenty of stuff to gander at and get a feel for how all things dominions play out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: June 16, 2015, 04:08:18 pm »

Is Dominions 4 worth it? I play a lot of Paradox games and also some Civilization V. Could I be interested in Dominions 4? Does it require my friends to also have it to play great games?

It's not my go-to single player fantasy TBS, but plenty of folk say it's got good single player. Multiplayer wise, Bay12 has had 2-3 simultaneously ongoing games for more than a year now, so there's populace for it here. There's even more folks playing it elsewhere on the internet if you're up for that.

Something to keep in mind is that while it may look like a 4X game (you mentioned Civ), it's not. There's no culture or science victory in dominions. You know full geography of the world the moment you start playing. You build fortifications, not cities. You recruit troops and research spells that melt the souls of your enemies. I've seen a few sour first impressions from folks who expected it to be something other than fantasy WW1.

Damn fine game, if you can get past the learning curve and spartan aesthetics. It shouldn't be too bad since you like Paradox stuff already.

edit:
when I say "ongoing games", I don't mean that it's been the same three games for the past 1½ years :P
They generally last about 3-6 months (PBEM's the word) unless I'm sorely misremembering things. Obviously less so if you get killed early.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:10:29 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: June 16, 2015, 04:20:13 pm »

It's worth mentioning that Dominions also supports LAN play. We don't really have any of it in our Bay12 community, but there are other places that host "blitz games". It's the same as an EU4 multiplayer session basically; better if you have 6 hours free on a Saturday but not the patience to regularly check your email every day for 6 months.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: June 16, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »

The UI really sucks but it's basically the best choice for playing pseudo legal fan versions of board/card games online.

Plenty of free alternatives:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games

But I haven't tried Tabletop Simulator, so who knows, maybe it is best of the bunch and worth your dollars. Just letting people know that there are options, free ones at that. At least TTS is the only one that I'm aware of that allows for tableflipping.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11696 on: June 16, 2015, 04:33:41 pm »

In other news, System Shock 2 is going for a dollar on the flash sale. I haven't played it myself but I've heard it's really good, any reason not to buy it?
Yes, you shouldn't buy it if you hate SciFi, or games that have outlived developer support, or have severe anxiety and/or nightmares, or you only like bad games.
So basically no reason not to by it. :p

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: June 16, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »

In other news, System Shock 2 is going for a dollar on the flash sale. I haven't played it myself but I've heard it's really good, any reason not to buy it?
Yes, you shouldn't buy it if you hate SciFi, or games that have outlived developer support, or have severe anxiety and/or nightmares, or you only like bad games.
So basically no reason not to by it. :p
Also rebind the controls because I hear that they are garbage.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: June 16, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

Skullgirls on sale for a flash sale on Steam. 85% off for 7 more hours. $2.24 for the base game, as opposed to $15. The 4 DLC are all literally less than a dollar each, for a total of $2.96, not including the currently free 5th DLC.  If for whatever reason you still haven't bought it yet, this is probably the cheapest it could possibly get on Steam.

And if you're a fan of fighting games at all but haven't bought this yet, or love great animations or love supporting indie games but don't want to throw $15 at the Skullgirl devs, you should totally buy it now while it's cheap as hell.

Also Dino D-Day is on sale for literally $0.50. If you wanted a fps with nazis and dinosaurs, well, there you go.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:11 pm »

The UI really sucks but it's basically the best choice for playing pseudo legal fan versions of board/card games online.

Plenty of free alternatives:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games

But I haven't tried Tabletop Simulator, so who knows, maybe it is best of the bunch and worth your dollars. Just letting people know that there are options, free ones at that. At least TTS is the only one that I'm aware of that allows for tableflipping.
http://www.vassalengine.org/
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1134