Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457455 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - LAG INCLUDED WITH EVERY PURCHASE]
« Reply #11610 on: June 15, 2015, 12:34:02 pm »

Super Meat Boy is on sale at 90% off for another two hours. $1.50 for a fantastic platformer. If you somehow haven't played it yet, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

imho, worst platformer I ever played, by far. No story line, no abilities or upgrades, no adventure or exploration, minimal humor, just a short series of small obstacle courses that are more frustratingly luck dependent than anything else. I got Meat Boy during a similar sale and feel that I paid too much.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: June 15, 2015, 12:38:02 pm »

So I went browsing Steam Reviews for Skullgirls. Good stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Super Meat Boy is on sale at 90% off for another two hours. $1.50 for a fantastic platformer. If you somehow haven't played it yet, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

imho, worst platformer I ever played, by far. No story line, no abilities or upgrades, no adventure or exploration, minimal humor, just a short series of small obstacle courses that are more frustratingly luck dependent than anything else. I got Meat Boy during a similar sale and feel that I paid too much.
But the controls. THE SMOOTH FLUID PLATFORMING CONTROLS. Unless you're using a keyboard. Then it's just pain.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: June 15, 2015, 01:05:24 pm »

SMB is on the $1 tier of the current Humble Bundle, along with World of Goo and Dustforce.
I don't keep track of Humble Bundles, just Steam. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sucks to be you, I guess. Sucks to be the dev, too, as they get paid less by Steam versus Humble.

They get more money from $1 split between three devs and charities?

There are sliders for all that. You can give everything to one game. You can spend more than $1. Steam still takes 30%.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »

Heeeey. Second Avernum rejigger's at half off. Right at 10 USD. Know it'll be cheaper in a later sale, but it's still pretty tempting. First makeover was pretty golden, and I faintly remember the plot from the second being somewhat more interesting than the first. Still probably going to hold off, m'self, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: June 15, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

I don't remember any of the levels being based on luck, from what I recall, they just required precise reflexes.
And it's not a progression based platformer; instead you unlock (mostly) sidegrade characters instead. It's certainly better than the hordes of imitators that came out trying to ape it's style of gameplay.

Also, that soundtrack.

It's certainly not for everybody, especially for people who get easily frustrated when they die, but the minimal respawn times and short level structure helps ease that feeling of anger due to lost progress; you can easily just get back in it and try again.

So I went browsing Steam Reviews for Skullgirls. Good stuff.

Skullgirls is legit, if you can deal with/ignore the cheesecake stuff.
Crazy cast of weird characters, extremely comprehensive tutorial that can teach you how to actually play fighting games, music by the Castlevania composer, and I think the highest framerate/resolution 2D sprites in fighting games still?
The only deal is that it is a very technical fighter, with a high skill ceiling; you won't be button mashing your way to victory, a good player can completely destroy a bad one with no chance of Smash Bros. style occasional wins. Prepare to get destroyed.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:59 pm »

Dammit Divinity: Original Sin, why you not 50% off?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »

Skullgirls is legit, if you can deal with/ignore the cheesecake stuff.
Crazy cast of weird characters, extremely comprehensive tutorial that can teach you how to actually play fighting games, music by the Castlevania composer, and I think the highest framerate/resolution 2D sprites in fighting games still?
The only deal is that it is a very technical fighter, with a high skill ceiling; you won't be button mashing your way to victory, a good player can completely destroy a bad one with no chance of Smash Bros. style occasional wins. Prepare to get destroyed.

I already got Skullgirls when it went on sale during a midweek madness for about the same price. Had it for 2 weeks now. I can definitely say it's good. Amazing graphics and art style, lots of character in the animations, the voice acting, the dialogue, the moves, there's so much loving attention to detail. Plays great too. Definitely needs some kind of controller though. Keyboard doesn't compare.

There's definitely a learning curve. I tried going straight into story mode without trying any tutorials or trying any characters after buying it. Got wrecked, on Normal difficulty, by a cartoony little kid that throws explosives and drops anvils on me. Went and played through tutorial, learned movesets and movement and got more familiar with controls. I'm much better now.

With the games' tutorials and a training room that allows you to view hitboxes, slow-motion, save/load states, and tons of other useful features, learning the game is easy. Easier than learning competitive Smash Bros, I'd say. No wavedashing or short hop L-cancel aerials.

It's not the pickup and play style of Smash Bros, no. Plays much differently from competitive smash bros too. I've heard it plays like Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter, but I've never played those fighters before, so I can't confirm that.

Only thing I have to complain about it isn't it isn't as huge as Smash Bros or MvC or Street Fighter. Needs more people on multiplayer.

tl:dr; I love this indie fighter to bits. Probably the best fighter I've played. Buy dis shit, guys. It's great. Their devs deserve to have money thrown at them.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

Obligatory CK2 sale. Best time to grab everything. EVERYTHING!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »

Obligatory CK2 sale. Best time to grab everything. EVERYTHING!
Time to buy the last two DLC I don't have hehehe. Iberian portraits!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11619 on: June 15, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »

Heeeey. Second Avernum rejigger's at half off. Right at 10 USD. Know it'll be cheaper in a later sale, but it's still pretty tempting. First makeover was pretty golden, and I faintly remember the plot from the second being somewhat more interesting than the first. Still probably going to hold off, m'self, but...

Or for very slightly more you can get the entire Spiderweb catalogue that is on steam. Only reason I'm not wholeheartedly recommending it(for those who played the earlier versions) is that this is now the second remake of the same story and there just isn't enough change to be fully worth it. That said, if you haven't played the prior versions it is definitely worth it if you like classic rpgs.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: June 15, 2015, 02:13:50 pm »

I'd... personally, actually disagree that this remake isn't worth it. The UI, quality of life, etc., changes between the originals and these latest remakes are immense. I actually have the original exile/avernum stuff, and at this point they're bloody close to unplayable -- things are so clunky, especially in comparison, that you just about spend more time wrestling with the controls and whatnot that you do playing (which is why I never actually got very far into them, compared to Escape from the Pit, which I've almost completely finished). These latest ones, on the other hand, are massively more smooth and significantly less painful to play. It's a makeover that really is pretty close to worth what the price tag is. I think it'll not be 'till avernum 4 or 5 I'd actually stop recommending these reworks -- it's around that point the UI starts maturing enough the difference really isn't that significant, imo. But the first few... definitely. The difference is like night and day.

Definitely an accurate statement that it'd probably be a better idea to just get the lot of 'em, though. The later geneforge and avernum stuff is almost as playable as these latest work overs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »

On completely unrelated note, I just check with my bank account, my email and my steam account. Steam says that I've purchased Ark: Survival Evolved but the transaction is not on my bank.

It's not my card since the games I got from the sale is there.

Steam will not send their attack lawyers my way right?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:57 pm »

I got Avernum II the Pit, I think, after reading about how deep it was....

I made it about 20 minutes before deciding that it was either a) way too old for me now or b) being talked up as being way better than it actually was.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: June 15, 2015, 02:19:42 pm »

On completely unrelated note, I just check with my bank account, my email and my steam account. Steam says that I've purchased Ark: Survival Evolved but the transaction is not on my bank.

It's not my card since the games I got from the sale is there.

Steam will not send their attack lawyers my way right?
Purchases on Steam normally go on hold for your credit card / chequing account while the transaction is verified. It's nothing to worry about.

If you're anxious, you can call up your financial institution and ask them if there are any funds on hold in your account.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: June 15, 2015, 02:22:50 pm »

Definitely an accurate statement that it'd probably be a better idea to just get the lot of 'em, though. The later geneforge and avernum stuff is almost as playable as these latest work overs.
I haven't played the avernums aside from some of Escape from the Pit, but I can agree about the playability of any geneforge past/including 3. First two, good for starting the story but terrible inventory.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1134