Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457235 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - LAG INCLUDED WITH EVERY PURCHASE]
« Reply #11505 on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:44 pm »

Questionably.

The graphics and the general experience are there, but the game balance and difficulty curve have significant problems that people keep discussing in the thread.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:21 pm »

Questionably.

The graphics and the general experience are there, but the game balance and difficulty curve have significant problems that people keep discussing in the thread.
I'll go check out the B12 thread then. didn't know that was a thing.

Steam says the game is still in early access, so it's entirely possible the balance and such could be addressed by the devs in the future. And, well, losing is fun.

Then again, because it's in early access it could not get a higher sale than 25%.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »

After a couple good runs at it, I think it's a solid buy at that price. You have to take gameplay as it is. I find it pretty intense and not a foregone conclusion. Other people say they can pretty much pimp the game out at its worst. Regardless of either of those two, thematically, acoustically, in terms of flavor....it's a must buy. It may in the final analysis turn out to be a sort of shallow game, but it does not fail to enthrall until you've played it for many hours.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: June 12, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »

After a couple good runs at it, I think it's a solid buy at that price. You have to take gameplay as it is. I find it pretty intense and not a foregone conclusion. Other people say they can pretty much pimp the game out at its worst. Regardless of either of those two, thematically, acoustically, in terms of flavor....it's a must buy. It may in the final analysis turn out to be a sort of shallow game, but it does not fail to enthrall until you've played it for many hours.
....What do you mean by "pimping the game out at its worst"?
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »

....What do you mean by "pimping the game out at its worst"?
Laughing as the game throws its worst and proceeding to roll over the AI. I actually found it to be difficult, but maybe I just suck.

Or maybe its because I tend to not care too much about avoiding insanity, I really like to see the effects of that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:48 pm »

That'd do it.  Stress is basically a second health bar.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:55 pm »

This cookie clicker game attached to the Steam Sale just seems like dumbest thing ever.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: June 13, 2015, 12:05:30 am »

Crypt of the Necrodancer is $7.50. I'm very tempted at that price.

It's just a feature-thin rogue-lite with an annoying gimmick, unless you really, really like rhythm games. I enjoyed it for a couple hours until I got over the novelty and actually wanted to get somewhere, then the whole dance thing felt like a chore/obstacle instead of fun.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: June 13, 2015, 12:17:58 am »

Crypt of the Necrodancer is $7.50. I'm very tempted at that price.

It's just a feature-thin rogue-lite with an annoying gimmick, unless you really, really like rhythm games. I enjoyed it for a couple hours until I got over the novelty and actually wanted to get somewhere, then the whole dance thing felt like a chore/obstacle instead of fun.
Feature-thin isn't really a fair way to describe it. Just because the gameplay is built around the idea of timing everything to the beat doesn't mean there isn't much to it. The game has a difficult learning curve, but all the enemies have predictable patterns they follow, making each one a little puzzle that you have to solve - a puzzle that becomes more complex as more enemies are added to the mix, requiring you to think on your feet, and do so quickly. I think it's really well-designed.

Also, if you don't like the rhythm/dance aspect, you can just play Bard. The character is unlocked from the beginning of the game, and allows you to play it like a traditional turn-based roguelike.

... Honestly, if you didn't play enough to discover that, you ought not to be judging the game so harshly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: June 13, 2015, 12:18:07 am »

Oh wow, I'm suddenly grateful for the Summer Sale more than ever -- it brought my attention to the wonderful reviews of Hunie Pop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:59 am »

Crypt of the Ncrodancer was a bit of a disappointment for the reason stated by Darkmere. While the music is generally very nice (you can look it up on Youtube) it doesn't actually bring anything to the game. While most games incorporate the music into gameplay (even in minor ways such as stepping to eigth notes in DDR) in CotND you're stuck with just simply doing every action on the beat of the music (which is all 4/4, by the way, as far as I can tell). The difficulty comes from the more fast-paced songs, leaving you less time to react to enemies. My favorite boss in the game is King Conga simply because there is a slight integration with the (awesome) music, as every 8th beat is a rest, but that's about it. It also wasn't really designed to be used with a controller it seems, but you can use a dance mat if you wish which I imagine might make the value of the gameplay go up a bit if you can afford to have such a peripheral lying around when you're not using it.

TLDR: Good music, poor integration of music in the gameplay of a music-based game. You'll like it the first few times you play, but that's about it. I suppose I was hoping for more rhythm game and less roguelike.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: June 13, 2015, 12:48:56 am »

Oh wow, I'm suddenly grateful for the Summer Sale more than ever -- it brought my attention to the wonderful reviews of Hunie Pop.

I think the best review for Huniepop is from Christ Centered Gamer: "As a Christian, I cannot recommend this game to fellow believers." Ha. Ha. I bet he loved it and won't admit it.

Found a humorous review by Dodger, that chick from PressHeartToContinue. Found some other good ones. These are all for Wings of Vi.

In sales news, Long Live the Queen is on sale at 80% off, currently $2. Flash sale, get it while it's hot.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: June 13, 2015, 01:08:26 am »

Also, if you don't like the rhythm/dance aspect, you can just play Bard. The character is unlocked from the beginning of the game, and allows you to play it like a traditional turn-based roguelike.

... Honestly, if you didn't play enough to discover that, you ought not to be judging the game so harshly.

I did play Bard. It just makes the game a bland turn-based roguelike, which highlights the problems I mentioned. Rhythm games do Rhythm better, puzzlers do puzzles better (play DROD and see, I'll wait), and roguelikes do roguelikes better. If you absolutely love all 3 maybe it's okay for the novelty, but it's not really great at any of its components, so I wouldn't consider it worth more than $5, tops.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: June 13, 2015, 01:13:35 am »

This sounds amazing. I want to try this game now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: June 13, 2015, 01:14:55 am »

Nom Nom Galaxy is $5. It's supposed to be out of early access this month. It's certainly got more than 5 hours of play in it. Quite a bit more, if you're going by a dollar per hour metric. It does need more information in game. Play with a controller unless you hate your fingers.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1134