Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456651 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11295 on: June 03, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »

BURN THE HERETIC
That toast is already burned. Probably why it's got no soul. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: June 03, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »

I really enjoyed GrimithR's LP of it, but BurnedToast is right about the randomness.  For me at least, it's a lot more fun to watch someone competent at the game play it than it was to play myself.  Particularly when he rages at the unfair occurrences, then manages to mostly recover.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11297 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:44 pm »

BurnedToast is more or less spot on about the game.

I love KoDP. I suppose it's more story than game, if I were to start argue semantics. It's not something you optimize and get good at, it's something you just tune into and enjoy. Or not, YMMV.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: June 03, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »

Also of note in the GOG sale is King of Dragon Pass for US$1.49. There is very little reason not to pick that game for that price.
One of the best games ever made. There's nothing like it. I got it mobile and love it.

I disagree, I think it's incredibly overrated and don't understand why people like it so much.

It's super, super RNG based. You thought FTL was RNG based? This is 10000x worse. Even with everything set up perfect, sometimes you just lose because enemies raided you 4 times in a row then you got some bad events and there was literally nothing you could do, you just lose because RNG.

The difficulty is almost completely front-loaded too. Once I finally got lucky and survived the early game I was just steamrolling everything, had thousands of everything in stock, and buffed up clan ring with heroic skills. People would raid me but I had every war blessing and hundreds of magic, so I'd lose 1 - 2 guys and they would lose hundreds (and they kept coming back for more anyway). I ended up boringly mashing end turn over and over for around 10 years (1 year = 10 turns, so 100 turns of mashing "next turn") getting the same few events over and over before the game finally let me win.

The concept is amazing, but the actual game is not, which is very unfortunate.

Edit: I don't mean to suggest anyone is bad for liking it, just trying to offer another opinion. For $1.50 though it's so cheap if you think it sounds interesting you might as well get it and decide for yourself.. and if I'm being honest even though I didn't like it very much I probably got $1.50 worth of entertainment out of it.

If you're inconsistent in your responses to events then the game will punish you. The game hates it when the player is a RNG.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: June 03, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »

If you were to break the game down as a game, it's literally multiple choice exam: the game. It's not hard. There's no skill. But it's fun as fuck and has tremendously high ratings for a reason.

Only a soulless, loveless infidel would think otherwise. The kind of person who goes to parties and talks about his favorite kind of cheese (it's spray-can cheddar). Would you trust the opinion of a man who likes spray-can cheese?

Of course you won't. You're an intelligent, mature, and culturally educated person. You like Roquefort and Cotija. You make your Mac & Cheese with a three cheese blend of Velveeta, Gruyere, and a little hint of Gorau Glas. And because you are such a sophisticated person with an expensive taste for fine cheese, you'll buy King of Dragon Pass.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: June 03, 2015, 04:59:10 pm »

But what if you don't like cheese at all?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: June 03, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

Then I'd call XCOM.
In other news, a man was arrested for assaulting another man who was lactose intolerant, screaming that lactose intolerant people were all secretly aliens.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

The lactose intolerant man, when asked for comment, said only "I must go.  My people need me" before ascending.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: June 03, 2015, 07:14:39 pm »

Then I'd call XCOM.
In other news, a man was arrested for assaulting another man who was lactose intolerant, screaming that lactose intolerant people were all secretly aliens.

Didn't know 60% of Humans were secretly aliens, holy shit.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: June 03, 2015, 07:30:16 pm »

GOG has started their Summer Sale; it appears to run until 21 June.  Four bundles on offer, rotating daily, and a few dozen highlighted titles, rotating every 12 hours.  I picked up Last Federation and its DLC for about US$6.00 from the starting round of 12-hour deals.

They are also doing a spend/reward thinger: spend US$1.00, get a gift code for Simcity 2000; US$20.00 is STALKER Clear Sky; US$50.00 gets you Xenonauts.

It appears the 12-hour ticker is for adds, and the things added hang around for 2 cycles / 24 hours; this is similar to what Steam has been doing for several types of promo for a while now.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: June 04, 2015, 12:06:25 am »

If you were to break the game down as a game, it's literally multiple choice exam: the game. It's not hard. There's no skill. But it's fun as fuck and has tremendously high ratings for a reason.

Only a soulless, loveless infidel would think otherwise. The kind of person who goes to parties and talks about his favorite kind of cheese (it's spray-can cheddar). Would you trust the opinion of a man who likes spray-can cheese?

Of course you won't. You're an intelligent, mature, and culturally educated person. You like Roquefort and Cotija. You make your Mac & Cheese with a three cheese blend of Velveeta, Gruyere, and a little hint of Gorau Glas. And because you are such a sophisticated person with an expensive taste for fine cheese, you'll buy King of Dragon Pass.
I actually developed a liking for spray-can cheddar while I was working over the road. It's just about impossible to keep anything else without it rapidly going moldy >_>
Not that I dislike other cheeses. Just saying.

You don't like garlic AND you don't like cheese. Maybe not every lactose-intolerant person is an alien, but you most certainly are.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:17 am »

I don't disagree with BurnedToast about KoDP's randomness.

But the mechanics are only half of what makes KoDP so good. It cares about its world. It cares about its lore. Its choices are flavorful, even if some of them are, on reflection, terrible choices to make. Every decision has some consequence, there is rarely a best response to every situation. Choices leave you going "What would >I< do in this situation?" Sure, once you've seen the same event a few times some of the magic is lost, you see the underlying mechanics behind what you choose to do and the illusion is never quite restored. But there are many, many, many events and decisions to make in KoDP. And I suspect BT may not have been playing on Normal because that shit will ruin you despite playing like an ace and managing your tribe/clan to perfection.

Put another way: he may loathe the randomness, but he still played it to a win. Games with no redeemable value don't get played to completion. KoDP is brilliant, even if at its core it's a little primitive. That is entirely due to the details and the love with which it was crafted, and IMO, goes a long way to smoothing over some of its more obvious failings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11308 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:50 am »

I don't disagree with BurnedToast about KoDP's randomness.
Same here.
Put another way: he may loathe the randomness, but he still played it to a win. Games with no redeemable value don't get played to completion.
Have not and will not be completing KoDP though, so can't agree here, or more accurately, I agree with the obverse of your declaration.
There is too much RNG influence for me to bother trying to finish it.
The art and story gave it an advantage over some other games of comparable randomness in outcomes, but that's still a long shot from the time required to actually finish.
Except in cases of obvious consequence, there seemed to be very little apparent reason for the results based on my choices.
The (arguably I suppose) two most important kinds of events were the worst in this disconnect.
Failing to defend is a huge handicap early on, and I lost as often as not even in the best of circumstances that you can get that early.
And dreamquests are a catch 22, since you need the blessings they give to do well, but you have to already be doing well to have enough magic to survive, assuming you haven't memorized all the sequences.

The art and story were nice, but the actual gameplay was tedious at best.
Far from the first time I've felt that way about a game though. At least it was pretty?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: June 04, 2015, 03:11:24 am »

You don't like garlic AND you don't like cheese. Maybe not every lactose-intolerant person is an alien, but you most certainly are.
Throw in bacon and I think we could safely rule out this dimension.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 1134