Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456558 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11250 on: May 31, 2015, 11:44:41 am »

And elsewhere on the net, Humble's weekly bundle rolled over...  it's Relic.

*looks at bundle*

Goddamn it, all of those require Steam to redeem. I had my wallet out and everything...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11251 on: May 31, 2015, 11:59:25 am »

I too was a bit disappointed by Kabuto. Not a BAD game, despite somehow same-y mission structure for first two "races" I had a decent amount of fun. Delphi's jump is one of the more fun mechanics I've seen in games despite being just a, well, jump. What kinda killed for me was the last part though, playing the Kabuto. It just wasn't the big monster smash rampage I expected it to be. And controlling his spawns was annoying to the point of them being absolutely worthless. And any time you weren't using a sprint it was just painful to move around.
Another thing was humor which was kinda hit and miss for me. But that's purely subjective.

Still, I do recommend the game for that price, if nothing else just to check out what kind of games were being made back in the days. Also, can't comment on that part, but I wager multiplayer might be quite fun.

Also, from what I played, Shogo is a bit weird one. Intro is in a vein of a horribly cheesy 90's anime intro song, cheesy to the point of self parody. I found mech fights to be quite fun in their fast paced way. The fps part though... computer wall-hacks. Wall-hacks BAD. But strange enough, the challenge made the game kinda fun for me.

Sacrifice is interesting, but it has it's own problems, namely control scheme will take you some time to get used to. And I still haven't figure out how to play it properly, been stuck on 2nd mission for ever.

Evolva is fun, get it.

Actually, I could say almost all games on the list are worth getting, can't vouch only for those I haven't played. However, do note Interplay games go on sale fairly often at GoG AND it's only 60% sale this time. There have been better deals. I'd say don't bother with it this time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:03:20 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:04 pm »

Ah, that reminds me of an interesting point to note about "Giants: Citizen Kabuto". I believe it was made with multiplayer being the main focus of the game with the campaigns acting as a hands on tutorial for the different sides. Similar to "Brutal Legend" in that regard.

Just for laughs and because it's beside me, I'll list the needed PC requirements from a magazine article when it was released in 2001:

Pentium III-500, 64MB RAM, 32 MB 3D video card (D3D).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: May 31, 2015, 12:20:52 pm »

Sacrifice is interesting, but it has it's own problems, namely control scheme will take you some time to get used to. And I still haven't figure out how to play it properly, been stuck on 2nd mission for ever.

Spam the highest tier ranged units you have. Focus fire the enemy wizard with them, then murderize his creatures and steal as many of their delicious souls as you can before he gets back.

It's not a terrible well balanced game, the above strategy works for pretty much every level and with every god.

It's still fun and I recommend it, at the very least for the strangeness of it all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: May 31, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »

That wasn't really my experience...  My ranged units always got slaughtered pretty quick, since most of them only have enough range for a few seconds.  Having some melee blockers seemed to help a lot, but eventually I focused on air units so I could withdraw successfully.

The units are really varied though, which was the biggest draw to me.  Maybe it's different for the gods you tended to follow.  My favorite units were James' melee flyers, a good combination of toughness and mobility.

I managed to get to the last level without cheating a few times, but I don't think I ever won it fairly.  I used the cheat which lets you grab souls without sac doctors (which I'm pretty sure the final boss was doing himself).  Sac doctors are a great mechanic, and creepy, but on replaying the game I was more interested in the dialogue and playing with weird alien monsters than a proper challenge.

Basically (for those who don't know) after each level you see a cutscene of the gods arguing, then they each offer you a mission related to the latest developments.  You choose which god to follow, and that choice determines what type of creature and spell you gain that level.  At first you can shop around all you like, but about midway through some of the gods stop talking to you.  You still keep your previous levels, though.

So, like one of the other wizards, you can serve the goddess of life for a few levels then switch to the death god.  Your basic creatures and spells are still life magic, your later ones are undead and aberrations.  It's a neat effect.

But yeah, I think the best part of the game is the voice acting and divine intrigue/arguments.  The actual gameplay can be tough, just cheat if it gets too frustrating.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11255 on: May 31, 2015, 02:12:51 pm »

Also, from what I played, Shogo is a bit weird one. Intro is in a vein of a horribly cheesy 90's anime intro song, cheesy to the point of self parody. I found mech fights to be quite fun in their fast paced way. The fps part though... computer wall-hacks. Wall-hacks BAD. But strange enough, the challenge made the game kinda fun for me.
It stays that cheesy throughout, and very much is a parody on the Giant Robot genre as it stood at the time the game was developed. It was also one of the few games of it's time that didn't railroad you into supporting a particular side, "because plot", and the last quarter of the game is quite divergent based on which side you choose.

Agreed on the wall-hacking npc's duirng the fps bits, and a couple of spots where you are really not given any indication on how to progress(that frickin air intake vent), but definitely a good game overall.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: May 31, 2015, 02:30:57 pm »

Re: Sacrifice:

I've played a pure god run through with every single one. IIRC Stratos the Air God (aka. Mr. Balloon) had by far the frailest units. Definitely a challenge run if any of them was. Others were varying levels of viable (obviously some gods had better ranged/melee at low/high levels than others, ditto for spells). I think James the Earth God was easiest, as far as units are concerned. Lots of HP, so very tolerant of mistakes.

And it's not that Stratos' units are bad. They just emphasise the glass part of being a glass cannon. Something I've always had issues with when playing RTS games. Even if this particular one is a 3rd person variant.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: May 31, 2015, 02:42:15 pm »

Ah, that reminds me of an interesting point to note about "Giants: Citizen Kabuto". I believe it was made with multiplayer being the main focus of the game with the campaigns acting as a hands on tutorial for the different sides. Similar to "Brutal Legend" in that regard.
Problem is: it used gamespy for multiplayer, and from what I know gamespy is dead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: May 31, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »

theres probably a workaround somewhere on the internet
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11259 on: May 31, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »

Problem is: it used gamespy for multiplayer, and from what I know gamespy is dead.
Being that there hasn't been a post about multiplayer problems on GOG's forum for the game in the last two years or so, I would safely assume that this isn't an issue. (took longer to post this than to find that fact...)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: May 31, 2015, 11:26:37 pm »

Being that there hasn't been a post about multiplayer problems on GOG's forum for the game in the last two years or so, I would safely assume that this isn't an issue. (took longer to post this than to find that fact...)

Well, yes. I say the main focus might've been multiplayer to the developers but I'm pretty certain most of those who bought it played only the singleplayer.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11261 on: June 02, 2015, 08:34:48 am »

Iron Brigade is on sale for just about 2 1/2 hours more.

Heard good things about it, supposed to be a hidden gem of a sort. A weird steam-punk mech sim/tower defense game + aliens + mech customization with loot pickups? Getting myself a four pack, can't see how I'd be disappointed by that. I mean, it's 80% off, making a single copy 3€. That ought to be a good buy, right?

Also, there's a Summer sale over at GamersGate. Steam summer sale is just around the corner too, probably, but if you prefer GG I reckon you'll find something for you here. Speaking of, I'm tempted by Men of War series. I tried a demo of vanilla game long time ago and at that time rather clunky control scheme put me off, but I've heard good stuff about it. Still, which one to get? MoW:AS 2 is still to new for me and to costly, so I'm looking at either Assault Squad 1 OR vanilla game, maybe those two addon too... heard Red tide is basically just base game with difficulty upped high. Any suggestions?

Ah, that reminds me of an interesting point to note about "Giants: Citizen Kabuto". I believe it was made with multiplayer being the main focus of the game with the campaigns acting as a hands on tutorial for the different sides.
Hm, this makes a lot of sense actually.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:22 am »

So they have borderlands 2 there for rather cheap, and I've had a friend talking all about it recently. Is it worth it outside of multiplayer though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11263 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:08 am »

Speaking of, I'm tempted by Men of War series. I tried a demo of vanilla game long time ago and at that time rather clunky control scheme put me off, but I've heard good stuff about it. Still, which one to get? MoW:AS 2 is still to new for me and to costly, so I'm looking at either Assault Squad 1 OR vanilla game, maybe those two addon too... heard Red tide is basically just base game with difficulty upped high. Any suggestions?

The Assault Squad series are basically MP games. You can skirmish against the AI, which is fine, but it's mostly competitive MP. There's some MP coop that I personally love. MoWAS 1 used gamespy, I think, and while there are workarounds, I would wager that barely anyone plays. It's not hard to find some MP matches for MoWAS 2 though, especially if you're in Europe.

It's a hard game. It takes a while to get into it. But it's pretty legit. I'd say YARRRRRR one of them to see if it's something you're into, and if you feel you're gonna do MP, then buy MoWAS 2. It's $7.50, so fairly affordable. I think this is as cheap as it's been so far.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the SP campaigns of the earlier games. Honestly, I'd probably just get MoWAS2 and bang your head against the wall until you manage to survive. That's what I did. It's also easier in coop!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:18:03 am by Anvilfolk »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11264 on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:55 am »

So they have borderlands 2 there for rather cheap, and I've had a friend talking all about it recently. Is it worth it outside of multiplayer though?

It's similar to playing a game like Diablo solo. If you like that kind of stuff (sifting through loot, questing, levelling), you'll probably enjoy Borderlands 2 too. I didn't like it that much though, too monotonous for my taste, but so is Diablo :P
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1134