Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456510 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11235 on: May 29, 2015, 11:32:10 am »

Yup. 66% off the price I paid for that pack ~12 years ago. :P
Good games to have just the same. Though I think I would look for a GOG version instead.

Still have my CD's, just wanted to update anyone that doesn't own it. You can still pick up physical copies for under $20, which is worth it. The fan patches are still around and free.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: May 29, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »

Too late! I got the whole thing. Now, which one should I play first? 2, 3, or 4?

3 before 4, 2 anytime.

3 is my fav.  enjoyed 2, 4 is a bit too wonky (and if i'm calling an sr game too wonky, it's *really* out there!).  it has some of the best superhero mechanics i've seen in any game and other developers should take note.  only problem is, in 4 once you get your superhero powers, you won't be doing much driving anymore and the game loses some of its classic charm.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11237 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »

I guess I'll start with 2 then. It'll probably be years before I have enough time to play through them all. My backlog is over 300 games long at this point... But these look fun. :D

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:05 pm »

And elsewhere on the net, Humble's weekly bundle rolled over...  it's Relic.

Get it, everyone, mid tier is worth it for DoW series alone. I fully expect they'll treat us with DoW:DC, DoW:SS and DoWII: CR though, would be a scandal if they wouldn't.

Weekly's don't get extra stuff. Extra stuff unlocks in bundles AFTER a week has passed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: May 29, 2015, 01:44:42 pm »

I guess I'll start with 2 then. It'll probably be years before I have enough time to play through them all. My backlog is over 300 games long at this point... But these look fun. :D

That's why I kinda recommended skipping 4. 2 & 3 are both very GTA-like, just lots of shooting and crazy driving and outrageous stereotypes and funny dialog.

4 is none of that, other than the humor bit. Sure it's got cars and guns, but when you can leap over buildings in a single bound and punch dudes into infinity in a virtual reality world, somehow car chases and civilian casualties don't seem like they have much of a point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: May 29, 2015, 04:14:04 pm »

That's why I kinda recommended skipping 4.
But 4 has the greatest Christmas DLC ever made by a human.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: May 29, 2015, 05:28:16 pm »

That's why I kinda recommended skipping 4.
But 4 has the greatest Christmas DLC ever made by a human.
And Enter the Dominatrix.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Saints Row 4 is good. It may not be a GTA-like game (being more of a superhero game), but it is still a very good game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11242 on: May 30, 2015, 01:42:25 am »

Yeah, I'm not interested in the games because they're similar to GTA. I've never even played GTA. Don't have the time to really get into a game that big. I just want to play them because I heard they are funny and crazy.

Halfway through downloading 2 now. Another 3 hours to go before I can try it. We'll see how long it takes me to get through it... Something tells me I'll probably enjoy 4 the most, but I'll see if I can at least get through the main parts of the other 2 first, so I have some idea of what's going on when I start 4...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: May 30, 2015, 05:22:27 am »

Yeah, I'm not interested in the games because they're similar to GTA. I've never even played GTA. Don't have the time to really get into a game that big. I just want to play them because I heard they are funny and crazy.

Halfway through downloading 2 now. Another 3 hours to go before I can try it. We'll see how long it takes me to get through it... Something tells me I'll probably enjoy 4 the most, but I'll see if I can at least get through the main parts of the other 2 first, so I have some idea of what's going on when I start 4...
Personally, I actually enjoyed 2 the most. I'm not particularly a GTA fan, but 4 is just... Prototype IN STEELPORT! This is not to say it doesn't have some good ideas, but it being a Prototype clone is not a major improvement over being a GTA clone as far as gameplay goes.

Third one, meanwhile, while prettyfied, feels like it has less of everything that 2, and for a shooty game, 3 & 4's guns feel way unsatisfying to use for me.

Also, 4, story-wise, is in a big way a sort of re-hash and farewell to the series so far story-wise, with more bugfuck crazy in the mix, so if you don't play 3 or ESPECIALLY 2 first.

The insanity curve also grows exponentially with each installment; the first one, from what I can discern, was Generic Gangbanger Simulator #2624, the second introduced such elements like spraying random buildings with septic tanks while having some heavy story moments, three sees you slapping mooks with a giant dildo to save Major Burt Reynolds, and fourth begins with shooting aliens with an AA cannon as the POTUS.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: May 30, 2015, 05:33:25 am »

I thought 3 was almost perfect (but the motorcycle hacking can kiss my ass!). 4 suffered from a lack of content in that there's only one "gang" and cars are utterly pointless about 5 minutes in.

However... 4's story missions are chock-full o' references and wacky madness, so they made up for the bland sandbox for me. Also dubstep gun. And more Kinzie. The minigames were generally okay (but the handball hacking can kiss my ass!), if samey.

In short, 3 and 4 were both awesome for different reasons, imo.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:21 am »

SR2 gave me the worst motion sickness.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: May 30, 2015, 01:25:12 pm »

Interplay sale on GOG

Gaming history gold right there. Sacrifice, Freespaces, Citizen Kabuto. The usual things I rave about.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: May 30, 2015, 09:06:23 pm »

Sacrifice is the best game of all time, imo. Go and get it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: May 30, 2015, 10:23:20 pm »

"Giants: Citizen Kabuto" is an odd one. It was kind of a benchmark for graphics when it came out and the gameplay has three different styles depending on the character your using. You have the squad based Mechs who also have base building, the spell casting Sea Reaper princess and the huge, stomping Kabuto. The humour in the game is also quite good with a lot of smarm and sarcasm.

The game was well received when it was released but I think at the time people lacked the hardware good enough to play it so it didn't sell as well as it should have. The sunsets and lighting in the game were really spectacular at the time.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: May 31, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

I didn't enjoy Kabuto very much.  I dropped it pretty quickly, about the point that the storyline switches from the Meccs to the Sea Witches.  Or maybe the other way around, I don't recall.

Shogo MAD is on sale, it's a giant robot game.  I enjoyed the mech missions, but I didn't really care for the human-size FPS missions.  I recall that customization of your mechs is limited to weapon loadout.  I also recall that level design leans way to the 'arena' side.  (As opposed to architecture that would actually make sense.)
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1134