Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457094 times)

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10935 on: April 05, 2015, 07:43:53 am »

According to HowLongToBeat it takes about fifteen hours.
didn't even know that this existed haha

thanks

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:32 am »

GOG has a Russian themed sale due to some new partnerships, it seems:
http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_from_russian_with_love_020415

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #10937 on: April 05, 2015, 03:20:42 pm »

According to HowLongToBeat it takes about fifteen hours.
didn't even know that this existed haha

thanks

Heh.... first thing I did when I saw that site: look up this game:  http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2843
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: April 05, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

Hmmm, that website probably explains why I have so many backlogged games... I own like 1/3rd of the top 100 longest games list! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: April 06, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »

Seems cheap to put open-ended games like World of Tanks or RollerCoaster Tycoon there, since they aren't really games you can win. Why not every MOBA ever or MMOs (actually, it is possible to "win" MMOs, in the same sense you can win jRPGs) or arena deathmatch (Quake or Counterstrike), etc.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: April 06, 2015, 04:19:33 pm »

Seems cheap to put open-ended games like World of Tanks or RollerCoaster Tycoon there, since they aren't really games you can win. Why not every MOBA ever or MMOs (actually, it is possible to "win" MMOs, in the same sense you can win jRPGs) or arena deathmatch (Quake or Counterstrike), etc.

You can "win" World of Tanks (unlock everything) just like how you can win RollerCoaster Tycoon (complete every level). They do have level objectives, you know, it's not really open ended.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10941 on: April 06, 2015, 04:43:22 pm »

Dunno, it doesn't sit right with me too, putting WoT and other games that are not even designed (imho) with "being able to be completed" in mind on the list... buuuuut then again I feel like I'm straying into "what is the purpose of playing a game?" territory and that's a road to Camelot I'm not willing to take today so, uh, back to regular sales related topic, I guess?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: April 06, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »

You can "win" World of Tanks (unlock everything) just like how you can win RollerCoaster Tycoon (complete every level). They do have level objectives, you know, it's not really open ended.

You're right, RCT was a bad example since I'd never actually played it and figured it was more open-ended like SimCity rather than objective-based (even if it does have a freeform sandbox mode and that's what people enjoy or play the most). But the point likewise stands with MMOs, where you could do "normal" runs (complete all dungeons, kill the "final" boss at any given time, BiS everything) or "completionist" (complete all achievements) runs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10943 on: April 06, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »

Dunno how many of them have them, or how accurate they really are, but there are multiple categories for what is considered when saying how long a specific title takes to finish.
Was glad someone else called out the RCT mislabeling, as it's one of my earliest favorites :P
I have to agree though, that games that treat SP/Offline gameplay as an afterthought (if they do it at all) probably shouldn't be in the general ranking/lists. Doubly so for any games that have a cash shop that isn't *only* for cosmetics.

Also, why would they even display wildly inaccurate time estimates? The number of games with 1hr in red is just absurd.
If you can't get at least 5 reported times for a game (or playstyle), why bother reporting any?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: April 06, 2015, 06:52:06 pm »

It almost seems too subjective to be worth charting. One person not giving a damn about the collectibles in Assassin's Creed will halve or even quarter their playtime. It's specific to each game and each player, who might define their play style differently. It's subjective based on skill, FAQs, cheats....when you have that many variables to account for, even rough estimates might be wrong. Take Binding of Isaac for example. Not only were some parts of it semi-random to get full completion, the difference between great and good at the game can be dozens of hours of failed attempts.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: April 10, 2015, 08:32:12 am »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is on sale over at GamersGate for next good 21 hours as of writing this post, and for a mere 4,99€.

I'm moderately interested in it as I've seen in mentioned and I remember the series goijng back for long time ago but... never even touched one. Reviews say difficulty is kinda intimidating, but dunno, what do you guys/gals think? Any expert on RoTK out here who can persuade/dissuade in buying it?
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: April 10, 2015, 08:57:06 am »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI
That's a really fun game. It's pure strategy, though. Don't expect much of the semi-RPG focus of other instalments. There's no wandering officer for hire mode, just being a ruler and commanding armies. There are still the requisite personal battles and 'disputes', and you can marry your officers, iirc, but all that is in service of managing a kingdom and generally just being a warlord.

That said, I love it. Fantastic visual design and heroic battles. Really captures the feel of the period, as imagined in the novel (this game made me attempt to read the books, but I can't say I ever managed to finish the undertaking - at some point it becomes a boring Zhuge Liang wankfest - although I'll always remember Liu Bei eating a guy's wife).

I don't know about the difficulty. Maybe the first few tries, when you still learn how it all works. There's a point when it even becomes trivial to win, and all that's left to enjoy is the feeling of living through some heroic deeds. But there's a period in-between stumbling around and expertise when the game feels challenging and really, really fun.

You should be able to squeeze a few good hours of enjoyment out of this one.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: April 10, 2015, 09:03:02 am »

Sounds good enough. Thanks. :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: April 10, 2015, 09:06:38 am »

Though, uh. If you've got a friend in the states or somethin', you might want to see about trading some cash to them for the game, or something along those lines. Looks like GG's not bothering with exchange rates on that one. Might be able to shave a little off the price, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: April 10, 2015, 09:17:59 am »

Good point, I suppose, but it's more common than not to have 1$=1€. GG or Steam. Even GOG has some of that.
It's only the £ folk that seem to get a decent conversion rate as a rule, and even that could be a case of grass being greener across the channel.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1134