Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457267 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10755 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:14 pm »

Yes, I nearly bought it because when you see it on Steam, it looks like standalone DLC. But... no. Apparently it's an Invisible War level travesty. Its terribleness may be beheld by those who are curious, of course. Do not buy it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: February 19, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

I though Invisible War was about as good and about as fun as Star Trek: Elite Force. The main difference being that everyone expected a Deus Ex game to be amazeballs and was disappointed, whereas basically every Star Trek game prior to Elite Force ranged from meh to awful. (I don't remember the precise timeline for when the other good-ish ST games came out though)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: February 19, 2015, 04:19:03 pm »

I agree with Shadowlord. If it was just "Invisible War" without the Deus Ex tie-in, it would be a fine game. Just too high expectations rather than a terrible game. The first thing that hits you is the simplified ammo and equipment system. That hits the hardest having come from Deus Ex 1. Once you get over that it's fun. There were some cool levels in there, and I was also fairly impressed with how they left it pretty open which ending from Deus Ex 1 JC Denton chose.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:22:40 pm by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: February 19, 2015, 04:32:06 pm »

I found IW to feel like the controls were a bit imprecise and sluggish. Couldn't even get past the starting terrorist attack bit. Everything was just so slow feeling compared to DX.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: February 19, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »

I found IW to feel like the controls were a bit imprecise and sluggish. Couldn't even get past the starting terrorist attack bit. Everything was just so slow feeling compared to DX.

If you were playing on PC before the patch, that's probably why. There was also a setting to change in the options if the patch alone wasn't enough, IIRC, but it's been a few years since I've played it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10760 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:17 pm »

Played (attempted to) IW maybe 2 years ago, controls sucked then. Unless you're saying a patch was released from the official grave, then...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: February 19, 2015, 08:05:01 pm »

Nope. I had to do some tweaking in the options to get the mouse working well myself, and that was back on XP. I've never tried it post-XP.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:06:34 pm by Shadowlord »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10762 on: February 19, 2015, 09:59:55 pm »

Pretty sure a crappy mouse was just part of the problem, as I usually tweak the controls of almost every game ever.
In other news, Paradox has put more of their catalog on GOG, with the accompanying intro price drop.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: February 20, 2015, 07:48:32 am »

I usually ignore the Humble Books Bundle, as it often is full of things I'm not especially interested in. This time though, it has some heavy hitters:

Jack Vance, Dan Simmons, Harlan Ellison, Clive Barker...

I've never read Clive Barker, but I hear he's great if you like surreal psychological quasi-fantasy "horror".  I do like John Scalzi, and he is on there, but it is just a collection of crap from his blog... so, to use his own phrase: "whatever".

A bunch of other authors I don't know anything about, but they seem to be in good company so maybe whoever curated the bundle picked some good ones?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: February 20, 2015, 08:12:25 am »

... Harlan Ellison, ...
All I know about him is "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", both the book and the game. The book is probably much more bleak - ISTR him wanting the game to have no "good" endings and the good ending that exists now was a massive compromise.

TL;DR: Fits right in on the DF forums.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: February 20, 2015, 10:35:21 am »

Got one -50% coupon for Endless Space and another -50% for the expansion Disharmony. If anyone wants either, just send me a PM.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: February 20, 2015, 10:35:53 am »

... Harlan Ellison, ...
All I know about him is "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", both the book and the game. The book is probably much more bleak - ISTR him wanting the game to have no "good" endings and the good ending that exists now was a massive compromise.

Except if you live in Germany. Then, I do believe, there are no good endings.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: February 20, 2015, 01:18:44 pm »

... Harlan Ellison, ...

Ellison is a loudmouth jackass. I had the displeasure of hearing him speak at a con several years ago, and he honestly does seem to think the planet owes him itself on a silver platter while he sits on a toilet made of gold. He writing is pretty decent, but nowhere near the divine revelation he seems to think.

/2cents
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »

He's also another one in a medium-ish sized list of writers that believe that anything invented after 1950 is evil, such as computers, the internet, cellphones and anything fat or sugar-free. Also you kids get off my lawn.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »

Harlan Ellison is certainly the most litigious sci fi author of all time. Read his wikipedia entry for the long list of sorry sagas. He constantly offends a lot of people, and virtually everyone lets him off the hook time and time again no matter how much of a [expletive] he is. Whereas he sues and screams blue murder if anyone so much as scuffs his shoe.

Actually, it's ironic he hates the 'net. He was born in the wrong era, since he'd make the most awesome internet troll of all time. The guy uses insane troll logic any time things don't go his way or he gets called out for acting like a shit. And this is with his name attached. Imagine how far he'd go if he was anonymous. Read about his reaction to getting criticized for grabbing the boob of a female author at the Hugo awards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison#With_Connie_Willis_at_Hugo_Awards_2006
You might get an idea why I refuse to buy anything this dude profits from. He's one of those guys who "apologizes" by mocking you taking offense and mixing it up with ALL CAPS screaming.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:05:20 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1134