Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457097 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10650 on: February 06, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »

Sleeping Dogs is on sale. Not a bad game, but keyboard controls hurt my left hand. I need to rebind some keys to my mouse.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: February 07, 2015, 12:12:10 am »

Sleeping Dogs is on sale. Not a bad game, but keyboard controls hurt my left hand. I need to rebind some keys to my mouse.

I've been playing this lately, about ten hours/50% in, give or take (open world makes it fuzzy). I like it. Like most open world games I wouldn't say it excels with any particular mechanic, but I do enjoy the punching, shooting and driving that I've done so far. I also get a fairly strong John Woo vibe out of it (in related news my goal for next week is to watch A Better Tomorrow). The story of an undercover cop with conflicting loyalties may be done to death but it's something I enjoy. So yeah, theme I like with execution that gets the job done.

I've been playing with a controller and had no issues.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:37 am »

This weekend, a sale on strategy games on gog.com

http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_strategic_milestones_060215

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: February 07, 2015, 05:53:16 am »

I've been playing this lately, about ten hours/50% in, give or take (open world makes it fuzzy). I like it. Like most open world games I wouldn't say it excels with any particular mechanic, but I do enjoy the punching, shooting and driving that I've done so far. I also get a fairly strong John Woo vibe out of it (in related news my goal for next week is to watch A Better Tomorrow). The story of an undercover cop with conflicting loyalties may be done to death but it's something I enjoy. So yeah, theme I like with execution that gets the job done.

The Zodiac Island DLC is a homage to classic kungfu movies; while I am still unable to beat the 2nd-to-last mission (I assume it is), it's a fun ride.

I've been playing with a controller and had no issues.

Yeah, it's best if you use a controller... you can tell the controls are designed for it.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: February 07, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »

AI war is kind of overrated - people gush about the AI being really good and the game being super innovative, but it's basically just a tower defense game where you can attack the AI too. Despite that - it's still pretty fun, and worth $5. A warning though, games take a *long* time, 5 hours for a game is a fast one, so don't expect to play multiplayer unless you have dedicated, patient friends to play with.

jagged alliance 2 is very, very excellent. Compared to (original, '94) xcom, the strategic portion is simplified and a little unsatisfying, but the tactical combat is just as good or maybe even a bit better. I never played jagged alliance 1 but I've heard it's decent as well.

Ghost master is a really strange game, it's kind of hard to explain. You control different ghosts - for example one ghost appears in mirrors to scare people, another ghost possess children, etc. Each map has various objectives like scaring away all the humans or driving them all insane or whatever.. most of them are parodies of various horror movies. Anyway, it's really strange and unique game, a little rough around the edges but worth $1.79 imo.

Nothing else really stands out to me.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:20 pm »

I have Capitalism II myself, on original CD. It's great fun for a business sim, a lot of playtime. You design factory layouts and handle complex production pathways, everything from mining, farming, factories, warehousing and retail is handled with a modular approach within each site. You can choose whether to do everything, or specialize in part of the production chain, or the whole chain for one product. There are a few scenarios, but the game shines in sandbox. You can spend money advertising on tv, radio, newspaper, but you can buy the media outlets to become a media baron, then every other company has to pay you for advertising.

The game also features a nice detailed stocks system. You can do stock takeovers of the rivals, and decide whether to do a merger or leave them as autonomous subsidiaries. You can even let the computer totally play all the companies and just turn your company into nothing more than a stock-holding company, and do a stealth takeover. There are also real-estate options, with apartment buildings you can build and rent out, though this is the weakest part of the game as populations aren't really dynamic like SimCity. Graphics about the Simcity 2000 level.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: February 07, 2015, 03:34:57 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is on sale again on Steam. If you missed the first sale or ignored it for some inexplicable reason, now's your chance to redeem yourself.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: February 07, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is on sale again on Steam. If you missed the first sale or ignored it for some inexplicable reason, now's your chance to redeem yourself.
EVERYTIME THAT GAME GOES ON SALE SOMETHING HAPPENS TO KEEP ME FROM BUYING IT
In this case it was buying Deus Ex a few minutes before VC went on sale, so it wasn't a total loss. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: February 08, 2015, 12:38:26 am »

EVERYTIME THAT GAME GOES ON SALE SOMETHING HAPPENS TO KEEP ME FROM BUYING IT
In this case it was buying Deus Ex a few minutes before VC went on sale, so it wasn't a total loss. 
Would you like me to buy it for you? you can owe me later.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: February 08, 2015, 01:39:43 am »

No, but thanks for the offer.  I really shouldn't be getting any more games at the moment, since I have a decent enough backlog of games, and starting this week I'm going to get to work with scholarship applications, so adding more distractions would be a bad idea. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: February 08, 2015, 04:34:57 am »

All the Thief games, including the new one and all DLC, for about $11 on Steam. That's about the price I wanted, considering my interest in the new one, and now I can add the rest of the Thief games to my library.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10661 on: February 08, 2015, 07:05:59 am »

Both of Disciples games are a neat take on HoMM-like type of games, I think. Kinda hard though - I've experienced quite a few situations where in starting scenarios computer was really strong and also quite cleverly targeted my weakest units. Still worth purchasing, imho.

Conquest: Frontier Wars is one of those little known uderdog gems, I'd say. Got 89/100 in my local gamer magazine I think, back in the day. While admittedly it's 3-races-fight-eachother campaign is akin to Starcraft, it is also one of the rare few (if not the only one?) oldschool resource-gathering RTS that takes place entirely in space. Coupled with some neat mechanics like ships having ammo they need to actually resupply, I think this one is a must-buy for any RTS lover out there. Also, the music in campaign screen is freakin epic. I wanted to buy this game just to hear it again after all those years since I last played the demo.

Ghost Master is a weird one. I remember getting 59/100 in the same magazine as above, but some years ago I played it and found some things in that review simply to not be true so there. Personally... still a weird game. Kinda wants to be a dungeon keeper, which is a big plus, but at the same time it really isn't. To be successful you actually need to put some though into it, study your potential victims phobias and daily routine so you can plan the most efficient way to scare the living crap out of them. And another plus is the levels are pretty free-form - you don't really need to do all the goals in one go (in fact, it pretty hard if not impossible in some cases) and you can return (or rather, should return) to replay it later! It's one of those games that didn't grab me immediately but some times later I just had an urge to play it some more. I think I'll grab it this time.

Also thinking about getting Space Empires IV. I used to have a decent fun playing a shareware SEIII back in the day, really loved how simple the production/science/spy resource management was. Was a bit disappointed SEIV ditched that in a favor of more complex resource system but eh, what can you do. Still interested in getting it. My only concern is that after playing Distant Worlds, no 4X space game will ever feel the same... Anyways, some thoughts on SEIV?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:54 am »

it is also one of the rare few (if not the only one?) oldschool resource-gathering RTS that takes place entirely in space.
Star Trek Armada 2 also did that, as did Homeworld.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: February 08, 2015, 08:58:48 am »

Star Trek Armada isn't really 3D-space though, it's like a 2D map RTS in space.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:01 am »

Neither is Conquest: Frontier Wars.
There's also Outfront, by the way. Which is, on top of being an oldschool resource-gathering RTS in space, is perhaps the only Total Annihilation clone ever, until the spiritual successor(s) came along.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1134