Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457020 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10635 on: February 03, 2015, 10:18:36 pm »

I enjoyed Battlefront 1 a lot more than Battlefront 2... Now I want to reminisce about it and what made it fun for me, because it's not possible to play it online anymore either.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone want to talk about Battlefront 2?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: February 04, 2015, 11:50:41 pm »

For DRM-Free, GOG.com has the Star Wars games also. They were on sale, not sure if they're full-price now.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:51 am »

How about Parkan 2?  I have always thought the game features and videos looked awesome, but reviews make it sound mediocre.

I thought I saw Parkan mentioned in this thread.

Parkan 2, Dementium 2, and a random assortment of stuff for $3.49. I actually played the Dementium series on the DS and it worked pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:55:17 am by Mephisto »

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: February 06, 2015, 09:35:34 am »

I've got some great memories playing as Kyle Katarn.

I'm convinced if I ever return to Shadow of the Empire or Jedi Outcast II, I'll just be horribly disappointed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: February 06, 2015, 09:46:49 am »

I'm convinced if I ever return to Shadow of the Empire or Jedi Outcast II, I'll just be horribly disappointed.

The graphics don't hold up, obviously. And I found most of the levels on Imperial ships and what not to be a little underwhelming on a replay.

But pretty much everything else holds up. Especially the earlier levels of the game which are large, detailed and a little complex.

And the saber dueling/force powers definitely still holds up. Not as like perfection....but its rawness and the freedom it allows is refreshing even this many years later, compared to how much kill-move/quicktime/1 button action we deal with now. Sort of how like Quake II is still fun in its own real of high speed arena gameplay, JKII is still really fun in its very well constructed saber duels. I still haven't found a game where I enjoyed dueling as much as JKII, or that feels like it has as much finesse.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:13 am »

Squenix weekend sale on steam. Lots of good stuff, 50% off on all final fantasy games, 75% - 80% off on most other titles.

Anyone play hitman absolution? I really liked the previous hitman games but I've heard.... not so great things about this one. On the other hand it's only $4.

Humble bundle also has an adventure game weekly bundle. Thinking of grabbing the middle tier for cognition even though adventure games are the sort of thing I keep buying and then never playing.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:14 am »

Deus Ex games are also on sale for over 80% off.  I doubt the will be getting any cheaper then that, ever, unless they go completely free. 

From what I've heard and seen Absolution is much more of a straight shooter.  It supposedly has a few moments where is feels a bit like Blood Money, but those are few and far between. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10642 on: February 06, 2015, 10:10:16 am »

From what I've heard, absolution is kinda crap because it tried to reinvent certain thing in a well established franchise, only to fail really short. I have no idea how much of that is true so take it with a bit of a salt.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: February 06, 2015, 10:24:50 am »

[Jedi Knight stuff] But pretty much everything else holds up. Especially the earlier levels of the game which are large, detailed and a little complex.

Very much so, yes. The levels in Jedi Knight games, when they get them right, are oh so very right. Going around with force powers and lightsaber is just fun.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:06 am »

The graphics don't hold up, obviously. And I found most of the levels on Imperial ships and what not to be a little underwhelming on a replay.

But pretty much everything else holds up. Especially the earlier levels of the game which are large, detailed and a little complex.

And the saber dueling/force powers definitely still holds up. Not as like perfection....but its rawness and the freedom it allows is refreshing even this many years later, compared to how much kill-move/quicktime/1 button action we deal with now. Sort of how like Quake II is still fun in its own real of high speed arena gameplay, JKII is still really fun in its very well constructed saber duels. I still haven't found a game where I enjoyed dueling as much as JKII, or that feels like it has as much finesse.
I distinctly remember a sense of freedom but it's probably just nostalgia.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: February 06, 2015, 11:31:49 am »

From what I've heard, absolution is kinda crap because it tried to reinvent certain thing in a well established franchise, only to fail really short. I have no idea how much of that is true so take it with a bit of a salt.

It is. They went back to the pre-Blood Money system of 'only higher-tier disguised work', but made the suspicion rise - and fast, unless you use the new Instinct thing, which is non-renewable if you're planning to kill nothing but the target. So stealth is less 'be a chameleon' and more 'be Sam Fisher' with moving between covers, finding items as distractions and what-have-you. And annoyingly, some disguises that logically should be foolproof, aren't - because when you encounter soldiers in full body armor and ski masks, 47 DOES NOT TAKE THE FUCKING MASK. JUST BECAUSE. I guess his face was hot.

They also added an annoying as fuck point counter that shows even in the Purist mode which doesn't even have an *ammo counter* and which takes away points for anything you do.

The story feels completely disjointed from the continuity as-is, almost feeling like they brought a completely different writer who didn't play or read the plot of any previous games and gave him a five minute summary of the major characters and organizations - which is all the weirder, because the writer did NOT change AFAIK.

47's entire motivation does not fit his characterization at all, boiling down to 'muh selflessly helping a super-assassin-to-be girl because I hate myself and my job now, I guess?', the Agency all of a sudden employs a gorillion of Generic Evil Kill-happy Commandos That Massacre Everything and there are stupid pointless fucking S&M Ninja Nuns for an entirety of a single mission. And at one point 47 almost gets himself

Speaking of missions and tying into the first thing, BM-style freedom is for nerds, apparently, because the missions are linear as shit and the only valid solutions are what the devs came up with or killing everyone. If you remember the Blood Money mission where you infiltrate a Heaven/Hell party, the way Absolution does this you'd have a Parking Lot mission, a Heaven mission and Hell mission with loading screens in between and no continuity between them.

It is quite pretty, as far as design goes, in some missions, and there is a bunch of missions with elements that give back a hint of the openness of older games, but it just makes the rest more painful. I got 100% SA in Blood Money, but in Absolution I just got frustrated by the second half and just killed everyone.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: February 06, 2015, 11:51:57 am »

Hmm... so it sounds like it's not so great as a sneaky silent assassin game then. Is it at least fun enough as a 3rd person shooter to be worth $4?

thanks for all the opinions so far!
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:13 pm »

Dragon Commander is at -80%

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »

47's entire motivation does not fit his characterization at all, boiling down to 'muh selflessly helping a super-assassin-to-be girl because I hate myself and my job now, I guess?', the Agency all of a sudden employs a gorillion of Generic Evil Kill-happy Commandos That Massacre Everything and there are stupid pointless fucking S&M Ninja Nuns for an entirety of a single mission. And at one point 47 almost gets himself

Gets himself candlejacked?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: February 06, 2015, 04:02:26 pm »

Gets himself candlejacked?

Derp, I went away for a second and forgot to end this part.

What it should have said is 'almost gets himself killed by firmly clutching the Idiot Ball by trying to take on a target twice his size and strength with a garrotte.'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1134