Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456492 times)

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10410 on: December 28, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »

Mount and Blade: Warband is on sale! 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: December 28, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »

Red Faction: Guerrilla is on sale for the next 11 hours. If you like blowing things up (and who the hell don't??) it's very worth it. Special props to the developers for gutting all the GFWL crap out of it and adding new content once it was converted to use STEAM matchmaking. Class act, that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: December 28, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

Kingdom of amalur $5, $10 with the DLCs. What does bay12 think of the game? DLCs worth it? I've heard some bad things about it, but it also seems to have generally good reviews. It sounds interesting, but they name-drop an awful lot in the description and that's usually a bad sign...

Also, fallout new vegas for $2.50 for the next 22 hours. If you somehow don't own it yet, this is an amazing deal and it's absolutely worth it - it's a really good game (even if it is way too easy). Complete pack is $6.79 and the DLCs are all really good too IMO.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: December 28, 2014, 03:46:30 pm »

Good thing the difficulty is easily modded to your liking.

Kingdom of Amalur has a great beginning but can get boring after awhile (gets extremely grindy and MMO-y). I don't know about the DLC but $5 is a good price for it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: December 28, 2014, 03:59:33 pm »

Mount and Blade: Warband is on sale!
80% off.
There is no legitimate reason not to own the game at that price.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: December 28, 2014, 05:16:52 pm »

I barely got an hour into KoA. Generic fantasy, boring 1-note mechanics, inflated sense of its self, completely over hyped.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: December 28, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »

I thought Amalur was great fun and I liked the premise and the way it played out. Avoiding spoilers, the premise is essentially that everyone's destiny is fixed, fateweavers can see fates and know when and how people are destined to die, but you're brought back to life by a gnomish invention at the beginning of the game and have no fate, allowing you to effectively screw with events and change everyone's fate. You learn more as the game goes on, if you care to read the dialog and stuff. At first you only have theories (what I said is from the beginning of the game).

It does feel kind of like a single player mmo, but not to the extent that borderlands 2 does. A more apt comparison would be skyrim with non-shit plots and non-procedural sidequests, you're more godlike than a Bethesda protagonist, and your money goes to EA, if that's a problem.

I didn't buy the DLC and played it on 360, so I don't know how good the pc version or the dlc is. I did stop playing and come back to it later several times, but I do that with any very long game. (For comparison I quit borderlands 2 with 2 characters around level 35 and never finished it)

I will note that after a certain tough battle more than halfway through I found that I could faceroll almost everything, but to me becoming the most powerful being on the planet felt realistic to the game's setting and backstory/plot concerning your character - Unlike what happens as you level up in Skyrim, for example (which feels doubly unrealistic).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:45:17 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: December 29, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »

Kingdom of amalur $5, $10 with the DLCs. What does bay12 think of the game? DLCs worth it? I've heard some bad things about it, but it also seems to have generally good reviews. It sounds interesting, but they name-drop an awful lot in the description and that's usually a bad sign...
Amalur has been pretty fun for me so far.  Fairly far into it.  Playing as a mage is like being a walking fireworks show that leaves no survivors. 

I played through three of the DLCs.  The one with the big golem people was kind of interesting.  The gladiator one was short but okay, and the pirate one was pretty damn cool.  You get to build your own fort (which is cool) and the ditzy captain who sails you to the island is -hilarious-. 

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: December 29, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

Serious Sam: BFE (and all the other versions) are now 90%. I rate Serious Sam above Painkiller in the classical shooter genre (which apparently is heresy). It's an amazing amount of fun with great locations, enemies, movement and weapons.

If you don't own it and are a fan of the genre (and clearly you haven't played a classic shooter if you aren't) pick it up already!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: December 29, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

Half-life 2 is on sale, and I'm not sure what to buy. The Half-life complete pack? The Episodes individually?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: December 29, 2014, 03:09:50 pm »

ive never been a big half life fan and the best shooter evar schtick that surrounds these games (especially 2) is just ridiculous IMO, but the whole series is fairly solid and worth a spin

get the complete pack

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: December 29, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

Heck it's worth buying it just for the developer commentary alone because they talk about a lot about game design, and all of the little tricks they do to keep you focused and doing the things that they want you to do. Like stringing lights along to make you follow a path, or setting up a scene so that you focus on the big set piece instead of dicking around with something else. They also talk a bit about playtesting, and the things they removed or changed based on player feedback. Even if you don't like HL2, you have to admit that they put a lot of effort into making an enjoyable game.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: December 29, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »

I'd argue that HL1 beats HL2 in shooty bits, though storywise it's more even between the two. Get the complete pack, assuming you like your shooters with good world building.
I believe there's a mod or somesuch to pretty up HL1 if your eyes can't stand the grandeur of late 90's game graphics.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: December 29, 2014, 03:26:57 pm »

I'd argue that HL1 beats HL2 in shooty bits, though storywise it's more even between the two. Get the complete pack, assuming you like your shooters with good world building.
I believe there's a mod or somesuch to pretty up HL1 if your eyes can't stand the grandeur of late 90's game graphics.

Black Mesa mod.
There's also Half Life Source which is HL1 in the source engine, but it doesn't seem to change many textures or models.  Maybe just changes the lighting and adds ragdolls, not sure.

My favorite part of the developer commentaries was the recurring complaint that players never look up, unless you make them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: December 29, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »

Half-life 2 is on sale, and I'm not sure what to buy. The Half-life complete pack? The Episodes individually?

It depends, do you have half-life 1?

If you don't have HL1 and like playing old FPSes, get the complete pack.

If you do have HL1 already, or don't like old FPSes, save a few bucks and just get HL2 and EP1+EP2 individually.

Don't buy orange box - TF2 is F2P now so it's cheaper to buy the contents separate (portal goes on sale for 75% off all the time)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1134