Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454476 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9885 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:21 pm »

Just saw this glorious classic on sale at GOG:

F-117A Nighthawk

Make no mistake, this game is so old that it can buy beer, but I remember having an absolute blast playing this with my dad all those years ago.  Sure, it has 1991 graphics (not that anyone on this forum should care) but it's still an awesome game.  For three bucks you can't miss.

I used to own F19, I played both but liked F19 more. Also everything was based on guessing because the F117 was top secret at that time (turns out the real thing was much crappier as a fighter, that's why F117 came with a "realistic mode" with almost no missile bays, and another mode that emulated the previous game).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: November 16, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

Farcry Franchise Pack for $10 (1, 2, 3, DLCs.) Worth it? I never know whether to buy these franchise bundles, because I don't know if I have the time or the interest to play every game in the series unless each one offers something the others don't, or a storyline that is worth appreciating from the start.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: November 16, 2014, 06:19:36 pm »

Hell yes.
Far Cry 3 stands completely alone apart from 1 and 2.  2 is mostly standalone, though there's a theory that a character from 1 is in it.  So yeah, you don't need to play 1 or even 2.  Edit: the protagonist and location of each game are completely different if that wasn't clear.

I'd suggest giving 2 a try, though.  It's a bit more raw and less hand-holdy than 3.  The companion mechanics are surprising.  When you "die" then a companion will (usually) appear to drag you away from the combat in a little scripted thing, then hand you a pistol and help you to your feet.  I love games where failure isn't necessarily game over.  Though the companions can die, if you leave them wounded on the ground.

Far Cry 3 makes you more of a superhuman.  It's probably more fun overall, I have more hours clocked in it.  It also has a decent story.  A lot of the characters come off as insanely self-absorbed, but I think that's intentional.  Far Cry 3 also has a separate 4-person co-op campaign with new characters, which I was shocked to discover after hundreds of hours in single-player.  I haven't played much of the co-op but it seemed to have all the markings of a decent co-op experience.

I haven't played Far Cry 1.  From what I've heard it's an extremely linear, extremely frustrating FPS.  No open-world like 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:22:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: November 16, 2014, 06:29:55 pm »

My own experience with 2 is pretty meh, to be honest. It feels creepily sterile to me - while theoretically open, many roads are essentially linear paths with no offroad capability, EVERY. SINGLE. NPC. that's not a companion you meet outside the city is a hostile combatant, even when you're working for their faction - also, fucking endlessly respawning checkpoints, while we're at it - little-to-no wildlife (can't recall ATM), the shops are operated by a computer...

The world felt less like a real place and more like a mercenary's fever dream. FC3 still has traces of that, but it's nowhere as gratingly unnatural-seeming to me.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9889 on: November 16, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »

I haven't played Far Cry 1.  From what I've heard it's an extremely linear, extremely frustrating FPS.  No open-world like 2 and 3.
It's very much (limited) open world after a point, there just isn't much point to going anywhere other than your intended destination.
Less linear than most games that aren't open world, but more linear than most that are open world.

And yes, like most non-casual games, it can be very frustrating at times. (And yes, I do think most games are casual, or being casualized.)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:02 pm »

I thought FC1 was a fun and non-frustrating (bar a few levels) game. One caveat, I occasionally like to play games on hard (not too often, but sometimes) and FC1 on hard is pure masochism. You definitely want to play it on normal, or perhaps easy if you're into that. The game shines when you fight the mercs, so when the mutants show up they fudge it up for a wee bit. But fairly soon you're fighting mercs fighting mutants, and it's all fun and games again.

Yeah it's linear, but since when has that been a dirty word?

I played FC2 a bit and I can agree with most who say it's not that fun. From what I've looked at FC3, it looks like a whole different game.

So I guess you want to get the franchise pack if you're going to play FC1, but if you just want to hop the open world bandwagon you can probably get by with FC3 alone.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: November 16, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »

FC2 is my favourite of the series personally. I just had more fun with it then three. Three's still a hell of a lot of fun though.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9892 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:55 am »

FC2 is my favourite of the series personally. I just had more fun with it then three. Three's still a hell of a lot of fun though.
FC2 is my favorite as well, but conversely I didn't have a lot of fun with FC3. FC4 is shaping up to be a clone of that one so I don't have much interest in it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:24 pm »

For those who forgot. Today is the last day to get a stamp for the free Witcher 2 on GOG.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:58 pm »

You sure? It says its until the 25th.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »

For those who forgot. Today is the last day to get a stamp for the free Witcher 2 on GOG.
You sure? It says its until the 25th.

Today is the last day to _start_ grabbing stamps, and still get enough before the end.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:34 pm »

Thanks aristabulus.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: November 20, 2014, 10:23:39 am »

Hm, quite a few games on sale on GoG that fall outside the flash sales and such, too... I see Planescape Torment for $4.99. I have had many, many people suggest that game... Should I just buy it or hope for a better deal later in the sale?

Also looking for any other recommendations for games to grab that are on sale.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: November 20, 2014, 10:41:56 am »

Planescape: Torment is supposed to be one of the best games every of all time and all that, but I wasn't able to finish it. If you're going to use a walkthrough or something it's probably fine but I tried to avoid that and the problem is that it's one of the old-school RPG's where you're free to walk around and explore as you will, digging the story up for yourself.

That's all well and good except it means that on more than one occasion you're wandering around trying to find one particular NPC out of dozens with near-identical sprites who are also moving around and if you don't talk to every single one you might miss something.

It started to feel like Where's Waldo or that the game was intentionally being obtuse, and I just lost interest.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:26 am »

Planescape: Torment's more focused than Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2, however. (I never finished BG1 or BG2, but finished Planescape Torment)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1134