Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453818 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9570 on: October 21, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »

Anyone know if Beyond Earth is on sale?
The preorder was on sale on Green Man Gaming (only 20% off), but it looks like that ended with the release.  GamersGate has nothing, and likewise with Steam.  I'm afraid I don't really see anything now that it's out.

EDIT: Gametap, small discount.  Never heard of them before, though.
Do not buy from the Gametap store. They have poor customer service and a slow/unreliable store.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: October 21, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

I want to know if it's another Alpha Centauri, or if it's just pretending to be.  So I'll be waiting a couple months to see how people react (and then how they react once they've gotten used to the changes, like with XCOM)
From what I've seen it looks to be to Civ5 what AC was to Civ2.

What edit? I see no edit and I'm sure there never was one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:35:10 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: October 21, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »

AC was closer to Civ2 in terms of mechanics, especially considering it was released in 99 while Civ3 was 2001.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #9573 on: October 21, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »

I want to know if it's another Alpha Centauri, or if it's just pretending to be.  So I'll be waiting a couple months to see how people react (and then how they react once they've gotten used to the changes, like with XCOM)

Same.   I really, really want it based on the premise, but I'm making myself wait for actual release... and probably a sale anyway (heck I still don't have Civ 5 anyway)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:59 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if you expect it to be AC "but better" you'll probably be disappointed. That's just kind of how nostalgia works. Nothing is going to meet your idealized perception of a beloved thing.

It could still be good, just as Civ5 and Civ4 are both good.

Not Civ3 though, that can DIAF. And anyone who thought Civ3 was the best of the series can get_nuked.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9575 on: October 22, 2014, 04:50:36 am »

Speaking of Civilization - There's a deal on Civ games over at GamersGate.

You can also get Beyond Earth with 20% of price returned in their blue coins, if you fancy that.

They also have Company of Heroes, Deus Ex, Pixel Piracy and some other things on sale.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: October 22, 2014, 06:15:57 am »

I know a bunch of people here have knee-jerk reactions to the Yogscast, but some of them are playing Beyond Earth on YouTube.

All I recall from the first video is that the tech web is weird.
The only reason I have little love for Yogscast is cause I can't tell if they are really as stupid as they appear in their vids, Martyn is the only Yogscast linked guy I can stand these days...
But will be looking into this. Been thinking about getting Beyond Earth...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: October 22, 2014, 05:57:17 pm »

GMG gave me a code for 80% off Enemy Within.

Anyone want it?

Edit: code is gone.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:38 pm »

I know a bunch of people here have knee-jerk reactions to the Yogscast, but some of them are playing Beyond Earth on YouTube.

All I recall from the first video is that the tech web is weird.
The only reason I have little love for Yogscast is cause I can't tell if they are really as stupid as they appear in their vids, Martyn is the only Yogscast linked guy I can stand these days...
But will be looking into this. Been thinking about getting Beyond Earth...
I'm curious enough to check it out, but yeah, if the first thirty seconds is someone screaming "WHAT?! WHAT?! WHY ARE THERE FORESTS EVERYWHERE?! WHO PUT ALL THESE FORESTS ON MARS?!" I'm probably not going to watch very long.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9579 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »

"WHAT?! WHAT?! WHY ARE THERE FORESTS EVERYWHERE?! WHO PUT ALL THESE FORESTS ON MARS?!" I'm probably not going to watch very long.
General script of every Yogscast I've had the misfortune of watching.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:30 pm »

Half an hour and two episodes later, it seems both informative and reasonably amusing. They've got somebody from Firaxis helping them out, and the humor is pretty calm and usually relevant.

That said, the game itself looks interesting but not a huge step up from Civ 5. I obviously haven't seen all the little details, but the basic comparisons (Happiness = Health, Social Policies = Virtues, Food = Food) are there.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9581 on: October 23, 2014, 01:49:30 am »

I've never understood all the hate for the Yogscast. I think they're funny. Lewis is kind of a tool (he's clearly autistic so I sympathize, but he should really take the time to train his social skills) and Simon yells too much, but in small doses they're entertaining. Sips and Sjin are my favorite. They're like the happiest trolls.

I enjoy that they're always fumbling around, making mistakes, having miscommunications and dying for dumb reasons. I've never seen the point in watching someone who's really good at a game, other than to treat it as a walkthrough or tutorial. It's not entertaining. In any case, trust me, when you're trying to record entertaining game videos for YouTube, your IQ necessarily takes a huge hit. You're trying to BOTH perform for an audience AND succeed at a game, which are two completely different activities. It's like trying to take a math exam while simultaneously running an obstacle course, or driving while talking on a mobile phone. You just can't do both things well. When I record my videos, I'm constantly forgetting simple English words. I'm an English teacher! That's why they are so few really good Let's Players. It's far more difficult than it looks. Remember, they're not just talking while they play, which is still tricky but not so hard -- they're also trying to be entertaining, come up with jokes, etc., which is a much more demanding process.

Anyway, sorry, I don't intend to start a debate or derail the thread, just thought the poor Yogscast crew deserved at least one advocate here. : )

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:12 am »

I find the Yogscast extremely funny but I disagree with most of what you said. I'm 99% sure that a ton of their stuff is acting from a script. The last time I watched Simon and Lewis it was a compilation of rage moments. And the times they do make jokes are when they are walking.... walking in minecraft. Not something that takes a lot of intelligence.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:09 am »

I've never seen the point in watching someone who's really good at a game, other than to treat it as a walkthrough or tutorial. It's not entertaining.

I feel the opposite, it's just annoying when people constantly muss up and never get any progress done. I want to see people excel and succeed, to see them move forward and keep a good pace.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:45 am »

... yeah. Watching skilled gamers play is like watching skilled pianists play. Which is entertaining as all hell -- I once watched a world-class pianist enjoy themselves playing Tchaikovsky, which remains one of the most amazing feats of physical dexterity I have ever seen. I could have happily watched that person bang out complicated classical for hours. Similarly, watching high skill playthroughs or speedruns (tool assisted or otherwise) is vaguely incredible -- it's seeing what the high end of skill can do, when one cannot or will not achieve it themselves. Inspiring, uplifting, etc., etc., etc. It's entertaining in a way I've found few other things to be. Watching skilled people be skilled is significantly pleasing to me -- the act of expertise itself is entertaining, nevermind any commentary involved.

I don't go to the concert hall to watch amateurs bungle Chopin, basically. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging such folks, but if I want to hear bungled Chopin I will bungle it myself, y'know?

It's definitely difficult to maintain skillful play and good commentary at the same time, though, no argument there. Is one of the reasons I'm kinda' fond of subtitled (or just plain silent) LPs and whatnot instead of vocal ones.

E: Which is to all say that I'd disagree that watching skillful players play isn't entertaining. It's certainly true that it's not entertaining to some people, just as the opposite isn't, but its merit as an entertainment form is definitely something I would defend.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:45:47 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1134