Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454357 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9390 on: October 08, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »

Free game is free :-X

Bad companies are bad.
But by getting it for free and not buying DLC you aren't giving them any profit
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: October 08, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »

They're getting you to install Origins and hoping you'll be tempted by a deal on that since you already have it installed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »

Free game is free :-X

Bad companies are bad.
But by getting it for free and not buying DLC you aren't giving them any profit

You're using their service. Every subscriber to their service is something they can crow about. At the very least it affects the shareholders.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: October 08, 2014, 02:55:00 pm »

Don't even know if I should grab Prison Architect on Steam at 66% off, i.e. about 10 bucks.

Because holy shit how can the base price for an early access game be 30 dollars. That's offensive enough to make me spit at my computer screen in disgust.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: October 08, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

Don't even know if I should grab Prison Architect on Steam at 66% off, i.e. about 10 bucks.

Because holy shit how can the base price for an early access game be 30 dollars. That's offensive enough to make me spit at my computer screen in disgust.

Do it, it's worth it. While it is early access, it doesn't feel like it. It's a pretty fun game if you're into that genre.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: October 08, 2014, 03:08:26 pm »

PA (Prison Architect) is one of the few Early Access titles that I think has completely met its end of the bargain, and continues to improve beyond my expectations with every update.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:11:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: October 08, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »

I take it you never saw Planetary Annihilation's early price tag of $100.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: October 08, 2014, 03:15:45 pm »

I get why many Early Access titles are cheap, but why should they all be cheap as a rule?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9398 on: October 08, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »

Give us money for this partially programmed game. We promise* to finish it.
*In a non-binding manner

No insurance or assurances (other than their word) that they will do anything further to the game.
That's little different than buying a finished game that has critically game breaking bugs, and the devs saying, 'We know it's buggy, but that's ok, because you can buy it now and we might patch it eventually.'

Oh, and Planetary Annihilation can go screw an auger. Higher prices on less finished product.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: October 08, 2014, 03:40:26 pm »

*In a non-binding manner

No insurance or assurances (other than their word) that they will do anything further to the game.
That's little different than buying a finished game that has critically game breaking bugs, and the devs saying, 'We know it's buggy, but that's ok, because you can buy it now and we might patch it eventually.'
1) You're not forced to buy it
2) PA is more finished than a lot of 'finished games', including released one.
Early access has nothing to do with it. There's terrible and good games with and without it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: October 08, 2014, 03:50:30 pm »

Oh, and Planetary Annihilation can go screw an auger. Higher prices on less finished product.
PA at least had a reasoning behind that though. Basically what they just did was extend their Kickstarter, where buying after each decrease in price dropped you down another kickstarter tier (and lost you the accompanying bonuses). It's just that people are so used to Early Access = Cheaper Game that it threw most people for a loop.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: October 08, 2014, 03:52:24 pm »

*In a non-binding manner

That's true, but whether the price is 10$ or 50$, you're throwing money at an unfinished game. Your post seems to condemn Early Access practice as a whole, rather than just those that are expensive. What I'm wondering is why some people think it's ok to pay 10$ for an unfinished game but not 50$.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: October 08, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »

It's an expectation that the $10 price is a discount from what it'll eventually be sold for, and in exchange for the player taking on the risk of paying for something before it's finished, the developers get short term funds to continue development. Then there's the practical reality of many buyers being unwilling to pay for something that isn't good value in its current state, even with an expectation of future improvement. So if the game is priced cheaper in early access and worth that price as is (even if it never got patched again) then of course the early access risk/discount system isn't relevant, but in most cases where players can get even steeper discounts post-release, it's natural that it's become a hard sell (especially with the number of flops and drawn out "alpha"s around).

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: October 09, 2014, 02:31:13 am »

Oi, Wastelands 2 was $60 for a greenlight game. Of course, by buying it, you got sweet digital shinies and two other complete games.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: October 09, 2014, 03:53:59 am »

PA at least had a reasoning behind that though. Basically what they just did was extend their Kickstarter, where buying after each decrease in price dropped you down another kickstarter tier (and lost you the accompanying bonuses). It's just that people are so used to Early Access = Cheaper Game that it threw most people for a loop.

This, so many times this. I've lost count how many times I've pointed this fact out to angry anti-EA/Greenlighters as they tout it as one of the major things wrong with the Early Access system, when all they're yelling about is their ignorance and inability to read.
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 1134