Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454473 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9345 on: October 02, 2014, 05:02:11 pm »

Neat Paradox sale going on on Steam.
Grabbed Hearts of Iron III + DLC.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »

The complaints are spot on.  It broke no new ground. 

But it was fun as heck, and you could dual-wield wands like RH Franzibald's Sorcelator.

Seriously, what else do you want?  To blow things away with a giant magical cannon, and have your dog do the tedious town runs for you? YOU CAN DO THAT TOO!

It may have been formula through and through, but is is a freakin' fun formula.  I might not have gotten the hours out of it that I got out of Diablo 1, but still well worth the price of admission.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: October 02, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »

Teleglitch: Die More Edition is $3.24 until this weekend on Steam. It's a good game not enough people have played.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:49:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: October 02, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »

So I've been wanting to get into STALKER for about a year and a half now, but it has never gone on sale during that time.  I know it went on sale on GOG, but I have to purchase my games with those steam wallet cards. And finally, I see on the front page that Call of Pripyat is on sale, so I go to Shadows of Chernobyl... and its not on sale. Should I wait for SoC to go on sale first, or is CoP good enough on its own?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:18 pm »

"Call of Pripyat" is quite separate from "Shadow of Chernobyl" in terms of storyline. Some of the characters are the same but prior knowledge isn't needed to understand the plot. It's also the most feature complete version, having things like item upgrades, repairing, and better anomalies.

"Call of Pripyat" is rather short compared to "Shadow of Chernobyl" but the areas are denser in locations.

If you've got a good internet connection with no download limit, have a look into "S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Lost Alpha". It is a fan made update and improved version of the first game without requiring "Shadow of Chernobyl" to play.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9350 on: October 03, 2014, 03:42:57 am »

If you didn't like BL1, BL2 is more of the same, IMO. More weapons, more variety and trinkets, more lunacy. But it's still the same mowing guys down, the same sorting through 18 bazillion gun drops, the same vague feeling that you're playing an MMO when you're actually not.

I didn't buy it full price, and for what I paid I enjoyed it. But every time I feel like playing Borderlands, it feels like a slog. Especially 2nd+ playthroughs where you've done all the quests, and the voice acting goes from being funny/charming to just plain obnoxious.
Wow. +1 to everything, especially the bold part.
I mean, I do like BL1 but just... I look back and think "hey, that was actually fun! Let's play some mo-- on the second though, I think I'd rather not".

I guess BL games aren't my style after all. But to be honest - I only ever played it solo. And my guess is this games get at least x10 better if you play it with at least another person, preferably friend and with voice chat. Yeah, I can imagine this is where the fun begins. Still, I think I'll pass for now. Thanks all who provided input.

And also thanks for all the Torchlight 2 opinions. I'm still not sure if I'll buy it. Tbh, I don't think Diablo 2 was even that great. Or rather, it aged horribly. Then again, I only ever finished it once and on normal difficulty, never bothered to go any further. I guess Titan Quest and Din's Curse remain the most "different" ARPGs of the past decade, at least from my viewpoint.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: October 03, 2014, 03:53:38 am »

Yeah, Titan Quest actually refined the core Diablo formula a great deal. Since you've mentioned that, it does go on sale semi-regularly, so if those pondering TL2 on this sale can wait, I recommend checking out TQ instead. It even has an amazing skill point system, and I despise skill point systems!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: October 03, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

I also think "Titan's Quest" is the better game compared to "Torchlight 2". The ancient greek mythology setting is a nice change and spears are a major weapon type. I played through it as a Hoplite, forgoing magic and focusing on dealing damage with spear strikes and charges. It got a bit difficult at times but it saw me through to the end.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: October 03, 2014, 09:48:48 am »

Oo, I think that is in my inventory from a humblebundle.  Never tried it but will have to check it out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:36 am »

If you didn't like BL1, BL2 is more of the same, IMO. More weapons, more variety and trinkets, more lunacy. But it's still the same mowing guys down, the same sorting through 18 bazillion gun drops, the same vague feeling that you're playing an MMO when you're actually not.

I didn't buy it full price, and for what I paid I enjoyed it. But every time I feel like playing Borderlands, it feels like a slog. Especially 2nd+ playthroughs where you've done all the quests, and the voice acting goes from being funny/charming to just plain obnoxious.
Wow. +1 to everything, especially the bold part.
I mean, I do like BL1 but just... I look back and think "hey, that was actually fun! Let's play some mo-- on the second though, I think I'd rather not".

I guess BL games aren't my style after all. But to be honest - I only ever played it solo. And my guess is this games get at least x10 better if you play it with at least another person, preferably friend and with voice chat. Yeah, I can imagine this is where the fun begins. Still, I think I'll pass for now. Thanks all who provided input.

And also thanks for all the Torchlight 2 opinions. I'm still not sure if I'll buy it. Tbh, I don't think Diablo 2 was even that great. Or rather, it aged horribly. Then again, I only ever finished it once and on normal difficulty, never bothered to go any further. I guess Titan Quest and Din's Curse remain the most "different" ARPGs of the past decade, at least from my viewpoint.

Really having friends to go through the game with is what made it bearable. If I'd been playing solo I doubt I would have finished either game.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:46 am »

Torchlight II is a lot more polished than Titan's Quest though. It also looks better (although it also looks a bit more cartoonish).

Of course, Torchlight II is just a Diablo clone. TQ is pretty close but not as much as Torchlight imo.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: October 03, 2014, 10:17:25 am »

Any one have any thoughts on Magica?  I'm only rarely interested in Paradox games, but this one looks interesting.

Negative reviews say things like glitched, optimized, too buggy to play, pay-to-win multiplayer, and hard to use combo system if you're not an action gamer.

Also, it is a crazy DLC-fest which is usually a warning sign.

But most people have positive opinions of it.  Any first hand experience here?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:52 am »

Magicka
pay-to-win multiplayer

Excuse me? It's a co-op game.

A damn good one at that. You can try the demo you know, but personally I think it's an exceptionally good game.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: October 03, 2014, 10:25:10 am »

I got annoyed with it when it kept bugging out, but I'd (hope) they've fixed most of the bugs by now.  The DLC-fest bit kinda put me off it too.  The actual gameplay seemed fun enough though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: October 03, 2014, 10:27:39 am »

Release was rocky, and it was pretty much all the technical things you described.

Now, the game is much more solid. I don't know what P2W in Magicka MP is even suppose to mean, but I haven't dicked with it.

The game uses like 7 keys plus your mouse. So I find the twitch gamer criticism silly and confusing to say the least. You memorize a handful of key combos to do the spells you like/need, it's not hard.

It's good fun. It's better with friends by far. It is still a bit of  buggy game but that's part of its charm IMO. Most common bugs I seem to still see are stuck character bugs when you get sent flying by some insane-o magic explosion. Pretty rare that it happens.

You can pretty much ignore the DLC, the base game is plenty and the DLC is there truly only if you love the experience so much you want to play different theme'd maps set in the same world.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1134