Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454830 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9225 on: August 27, 2014, 03:54:28 pm »

Huh.  Went to look at sales on GOG and...they're selling DRM-free movies now.  That's a surprise.  Gaming-related ones only at the moment, presumably to show good faith and demonstrate that it's a model that works, but an interesting move if is pays off.  So, yes, movies on sale.

Kind of wanted to make a specific 'huh' thread about this, but not sure it actually fits in Other Games, despite what the second G in GOG stands for!  :P
Since you didn't mention the sales they have going on... GOG have a large bunch of games in a "Last Chance Sale", your last chance to buy them ther before they have to remove them due to their publishers not agreeing with their new regional pricing. http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814
They stay in your library forever after you buy them, they just won't be available for purchase any longer.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: August 27, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »

Huh.  Went to look at sales on GOG and...they're selling DRM-free movies now.  That's a surprise.  Gaming-related ones only at the moment, presumably to show good faith and demonstrate that it's a model that works, but an interesting move if is pays off.  So, yes, movies on sale.

Kind of wanted to make a specific 'huh' thread about this, but not sure it actually fits in Other Games, despite what the second G in GOG stands for!  :P
Since you didn't mention the sales they have going on... GOG have a large bunch of games in a "Last Chance Sale", your last chance to buy them ther before they have to remove them due to their publishers not agreeing with their new regional pricing. http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814
They stay in your library forever after you buy them, they just won't be available for purchase any longer.
How long does the sale last? I'm stuck away from my computer for....well, the rest of the day probably.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: August 27, 2014, 04:10:09 pm »

Five days.

A few good games there, shame about Nordic pulling out of GOG.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: August 27, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »

How long does the sale last? I'm stuck away from my computer for....well, the rest of the day probably.
As of this post, 5 days and 6 hours

Ninja'd
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »

Man. I'd been planning to get the Guild games on there someday, so I guess it needs to be now.

What's the deal with The Guild 2 vs. Guild 2 Pirates of the European Seas vs. Guild 2 Renaissance?

Wikipedia calls the latter two "stand-alone expansions" but I'm not sure what that means. Do you need to buy all 3 to access all the available content, or is the base game included in the latter ones?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »

If you're going to get one, get Renaissance. It has all the features of the other two. Then get the fan patches.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: August 27, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »

Man. I'd been planning to get the Guild games on there someday, so I guess it needs to be now.

What's the deal with The Guild 2 vs. Guild 2 Pirates of the European Seas vs. Guild 2 Renaissance?

Wikipedia calls the latter two "stand-alone expansions" but I'm not sure what that means. Do you need to buy all 3 to access all the available content, or is the base game included in the latter ones?
I don't know how The Guild does it, but this is how it happened in, say, Dawn of War 2, or Heroes of Might and Magic 5: You can only play the original campaigns in the standard game, but you can play multiplayer (or non-campaign singleplayer) with all features on just the last one.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: August 27, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »

If you're going to get one, get Renaissance. It has all the features of the other two. Then get the fan patches.

This is the correct advice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:45 pm »

Five days.

A few good games there, shame about Nordic pulling out of GOG.
Nice. I was afraid it would end before I could even get home :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: August 27, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »

The only thing I know and like from the GOG sale is Red Faction 1. I'd recommend skipping the second one, it's just... bad. Game has little to no relation to the first game and the shooting itself is as generic as it gets with only minor terrain destruction to it's name.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:18 am »

The only thing I know and like from the GOG sale is Red Faction 1. I'd recommend skipping the second one, it's just... bad. Game has little to no relation to the first game and the shooting itself is as generic as it gets with only minor terrain destruction to it's name.

Absolutely seconded. Personally the first one reminded me of Half-Life, but maybe I've just played a very small number of 90's corridor shooters. It's definitely a nice romp if you like some oldie shooty gaming. Still, I have a feeling I didn't like it as much as most people. The terrain destruction thing never seemed that significant to me.

Painkiller is highly recommended, Lots of enemies, lots of guns, alternate fire modes for all the guns, solid gameplay and good looking too.
I've played and liked Aquanox, but I was rather young then. No guarantee of the impeccable taste I have going for me nowadays. It's a rather casual underwater fighter-sim.
Desperados has gameplay similar to Commandos series.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: August 28, 2014, 04:06:23 am »

The bigger surprise for me is that GOG is now actually offering prices in Rubles. For everything. I wonder if they kept Steam's favorable conversion rates.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9237 on: August 28, 2014, 12:46:14 pm »

Dunno if this is favorable or not, but here's the target prices they discussed at some point:
For $5.99 classics, we would like to make the games 3.49 GBP, 4.49 EUR, 199 RUB, and $6.49 AUD. For $9.99 classics, our targets are 5.99 GBP, 7.49 EUR, 349 RUB, and $10.99 AUD.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: August 28, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »

Nah, that seems like direct cost conversion. Slightly lower, but mostly just so it looks nice, "almost round".

Steam has better prices, at least some of the time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:32 pm »

So Contagion is 75% off for 5 bucks and has most of a whole day left on its free weekend. At first glance it seems like a Left 4 Dead / standard co-op zombie shooter. At second glance it claims not to be and that's not an entirely hollow claim. I think every single game mode (I could be forgetting one) is a sort of asymmetric player-vs-player and co-op (with the definite exception of Hunted, which is simply a free-for-all last-man standing mode where dying turns you into a zombie).
Spoiler: Shameless schilling (click to show/hide)

The tl;dr is that when it works it works really well as a 'player zombies figure out ways to assault the guys usually effectively headshotting them'. I wanted to bring it up just so there's a better chance there'll be folks playing once the free weekend is over (though I really have no clue as to the health of the game on non-free weekends).
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1134