Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455140 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8850 on: June 26, 2014, 07:21:03 am »

Opinions on Space Engineers?

The basic premise looks interesting, but is there anything to do with the stuff you build? Is there any plans for it?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:55 am »

It's a sandbox (as of now). The only thing affecting you is meteorites, no AI or anything.

I wouldn't recommend buying it for survival, but if you want to play creative you could, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:40:48 am by Dutchling »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: June 26, 2014, 07:55:41 am »

It's a sandbox (as of now). The only thing affecting you is meteorites, no AI or anything.

I wouldn't recommend buying it for survival, but if you want to play creative you could, I guess.
Or if you want to, for instance, play multiplayer. There seem to be quite a lot of interesting things you can do. I doubt the game will ever expand beyond the current scope with its complexity (i.e. it will never be like Starmade, with procedural planets and stations and such), but a four-player battle between ships could probably be fun. Maybe even more fun as soon as some kind of shortcut keys for complex actions become available. (i.e. have a key combo to release your kinetic impact torpedoes instead of going into the menu and changing parameters by hand)

If the videos by Last Stand Gamers are any indication, the devs seem to be adding content on an almost weekly basis. How long that will last can't be said for certain, but they don't have too far to go before the game can stand firm as at least a multiplayer construction/skirmish arena.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:45 am »

Thanks, already found that and watched some of it. It seems like it could be fun to play with friends, which is the biggest problem. I would have to convince some friends to buy it within the three hours left of the sale. :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: June 26, 2014, 08:56:53 am »

Bought Mirror's Edge.

It runs quite badly, pretty much unplayable. I'm not sure why, since I can run Crysis 2 at the highest graphics settings with no problems whatsoever and this sure as hell doesn't even compare...

Disable or turn down PhysX in graphics options. It bottlenecked me, at least.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: June 26, 2014, 09:32:34 am »

So, I bought Splinter Cell Blacklist on sale, it got pretty good reviews, and the bugger won't connect to the online stuff in game, and it crashes to desktop about every 30 minutes without warning. From my research this has been an ongoing problem for almost a year? It sounds like the CTD happenes when something trys to update online and it can't connect. I have a ticket in with them now, but I'm not feeling overly hopefuly, at least it was cheap.......

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:53 am »

Blandness can be a feature. One of the reasons I couldn't really get into the Civ4 FFH mod was that everything was a bit too specific and weird. Sometimes you just want to play as elves or whatever, not puzzle out hyper-specific star-worshiping frost elves led by Landor III and therefore in possession of the artifact Dreadnacht wielded by the champion Ozzifrist.

I wouldn't exactly call Endless Space bland, but this is certainly true. Endless Space is a lot like Master of Orion in that your chosen race has some specific, unique criteria for how the game works for them but other than that, the mechanics are the same for everyone. I like that in a 4X, I don't want to get bogged down too much in the specificity of my snowflake nation, just explain to me how the unique mechanics work and I'll take the rest from there.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:22 am »

What are some good metroidvania games on steam? Or where can I get like a big pack of the castlevania games?

I've already got the 2 LoS's on steam, and I've played other castlevania's but  I NEED MORE!
If you want a very puzzley Metroidvania I'd recommend La-Mulana.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:22 am »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:40:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #8860 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:13 am »

I don't really get everybody hating on Endless Space either, especially the gripes about combat. GalCivII has an even simpler combat system. Three types of weapons, and three types of defence systems. If they attack with blue and you have red shields, well, screw you! That said, I agree that combat could have been sped up back from when I played it early on. I think they actually made that possible.

But I dunno, it's got a ton of stuff. Nice maps, an interesting tech tree, great interface, ship design, governors, fleet captains, levelling up, an economy system.....

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:37 am »

What are some good metroidvania games on steam? Or where can I get like a big pack of the castlevania games?

I've already got the 2 LoS's on steam, and I've played other castlevania's but  I NEED MORE!
If you want a very puzzley Metroidvania I'd recommend La-Mulana.

Oooh, seconded. Also seconding Dust, Cave Story, and Guacamelee.
Though Cave Story you can also get for free. Steam and fancy graphics are just a bonus imo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: June 26, 2014, 10:42:41 am »

Opinions on Space Engineers?

The basic premise looks interesting, but is there anything to do with the stuff you build? Is there any plans for it?

The first game by the same company was Miner Wars. That was not a good game for many reasons. I don't expect this new game to be any better.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:44 am »

Well, based on what Miner Wars was supposed to be, either Space Enginners will be good enough (but not particularly great) or it'll suddenly warp into a second Miner Wars for no apparent reason sometime in the future.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:09 am »

Spore was supposed to be good. You don't see me buying its expansions. You don't see me buying anything from Maxis anymore. Best to wait on Space Engineers because it may never leave alpha/beta. There isn't a good history from its creator thus far.
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1134