Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455977 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8760 on: June 24, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

I regret buying Risk of Rain.
After finishing it while visiting my younger brother in 4 hours, I have no desire whatsoever to play it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: June 24, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »

Good call, Valve. And I do not say that often.

Still, what are the actual odds of getting a game, even if you're on the winning team and contribute points? Even if your team wins, that's 30 people out of... how many thousand?
Extremely low, but better than winning the lottery. :P

If it's actually random, though, then you just need to contribute a single point to have the same chance of winning as everybody else who contributed on your team. Crafting a game badge provides a solitary point for your team, and as such your chance of winning. I'd say that, if you already used up your random drops, buying the other half + 1-2 of a game's cards will put you at around half a dollar. That's pretty good for a chance to win a game that costs $30+.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: June 24, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »

It's a lot better chance than winning your average lottery, yeah.

Unfortunately, that doesn't say much.  :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: June 24, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »

The phrase I would use is "technically nonzero."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: June 24, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »

After finishing it while visiting my younger brother in 4 hours, I have no desire whatsoever to play it.

I put 145 hours into it and I'd put more if it had more content. I think it did a good job being able to quickly start a game with low investment (granted, an entire run - presuming I don't die - might take 2 hours) and also having a very learnable difficulty, where I felt I could actually learn from my deaths rather than curse the game for being unfair (RNG screwing me item- or bullethell-wise), though RNG still plays a part in terms of what items you get. If it had more content (items, secrets to unlock, layouts, level variety, achievements for goals) and interaction between items I'd still be playing it.

By comparison, I enjoyed the 160 hours I put into Binding of Isaac.

(This isn't directed necessarily at you, but merely an opportunity to pontificate on Risk of Rain.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: June 24, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »

I haven't been following it closely, but my wishlist is three items from this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17001/

Sadly you can't wish for the entire $800 pack :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also have a couple of glitches:  Dragon Age 2, which isn't for sale on Steam, and Portal 2 which I preordered and loved.

Fakedit:  Post below sounds like my feelings on Rogue Legacy, it's fair and doesn't demand long play sessions.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: June 24, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »

I put 80 hours into BoI as well.
Oh well, maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm less tired.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: June 24, 2014, 03:23:31 pm »

Also on a tangent, I absolutely love how Transistor throws you immediately into the game rather than than taking you to a menu first. Also minimizing the splash screen prior to the loading.

More games need to do that. I already bought your product, stop pestering me with your branding and legal gibberish; DVDs too. (I also hate branding on physical items; if you're going to use me as free advertising, I should not be the one with negative monies at the end of this transaction.)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled sales thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »

I regret it even more because there's apparently a whole swath of systems that just plain can't run it despite meeting specs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

It's kind of unoptimized, that's true.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: June 24, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »

I regret it even more because there's apparently a whole swath of systems that just plain can't run it despite meeting specs.

I'm with you on that. My friends and I have run across a couple of system configurations where RoR refuses to accept any sort of non-keyboard input, for no apparent reason. Known, reported, reproducible bug.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »

I'm with you on that. My friends and I have run across a couple of system configurations where RoR refuses to accept any sort of non-keyboard input, for no apparent reason. Known, reported, reproducible bug.

I can't even get the thing to load, and I vastly exceed the required specs. At least it was cheap. :/

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8772 on: June 24, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

Good call, Valve. And I do not say that often.

Still, what are the actual odds of getting a game, even if you're on the winning team and contribute points? Even if your team wins, that's 30 people out of... how many thousand?
Extremely low, but better than winning the lottery. :P

If it's actually random, though, then you just need to contribute a single point to have the same chance of winning as everybody else who contributed on your team. Crafting a game badge provides a solitary point for your team, and as such your chance of winning. I'd say that, if you already used up your random drops, buying the other half + 1-2 of a game's cards will put you at around half a dollar. That's pretty good for a chance to win a game that costs $30+.

Considering how astronomically low the odds are, and the fact that the highest-priced game on my wishlist costs 23 euros at standard price (and most cost around 1-4 euros), I'd say no, it's really not worth it. That kind of thinking is what funds the lottery. ; )

EDIT: Torchlight is now free on GOG, expires in 2 hours.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:11:34 pm by Sappho »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: June 24, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »

Surprise, a cabal is "controlling" or manipulating the points gathered by the steam teams, hence why things look so weird and one team dominates each day:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/24/how-the-internet-tried-to-rig-the-steam-summer-sale-and-how-valve-is-trying-to-stop-them/

The more trading volume and competition, the more the house wins. But a segment of the Steam community is wise to this. They know that a 12-day period when a five-dollar bill can get you our favorite PC game of all time isn’t the best time to be engaged in what’s essentially a spending war. So to discourage, or at least mitigate, frivolous trading card spending, some Redditors and Steam forum members have organized a coalition to take competition out of the equation. They’ve called themselves “Team White,” and they’ve proposed that each Steam team should win twice, on designated days, through June 28.

But!.

Up until today, the plan had gone smoothly. Each team won on its designated day. But today the plan is showing signs of falling apart. Valve, apparently unhappy with the lack of competition between teams, changed the contest to award second- and third-place prizes to the runners-up each day. Purple may still come away with first place, but at the outset of today it’s already a tight race between the colors. “The game has changed,” a post on the Purple team subreddit reads. “We need to let purple win but go for second,” a member of team Red comments.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:48:32 pm by Niveras »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »

Surprise, a cabal is "controlling" or manipulating the points gathered by the steam teams, hence why things look so weird and one team dominates each day:
I said that yesterday.

According to the SGDQ irc chat, its a bunch of subreddits rigging the teams.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1134