Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1452615 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8730 on: June 23, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »

Regarding the competition rigging it's apparently a plot to make all teams win twice. I, personally, think that's a lot cooler than Valve's "pay to be on the winning team so we can take percentages" ploy. Today is Blue Team apparently :)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: June 23, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »

According to the SGDQ irc chat, its a bunch of subreddits rigging the teams.
That would explain the insane point gap between the #1 team and the rest of them on every day of the competition. At least they're doing it fairly.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: June 23, 2014, 02:37:55 pm »

Hmm... think FTL will drop below 60%?

If it's on a flash/daily sale it's pretty much guaranteed that's as low as it goes. Plus, it's already cheaper than I paid for it, which was worth the money even then.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: June 23, 2014, 03:46:21 pm »

Whelp I am as usual and forever always, wrong.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:12 pm »

I seem to recall that it lost or is going to lose it's online functionality soon.
That's new. You sure that's not fot the console version?

The PC version uses Games For Windows Live which was supposed to shut down in July. Microsoft now says it will not be shut down.

Dark Souls is so popular on consoles that the first game in the series, Demon's Souls, still has online functionality on the PS3 5+ years after release.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: June 23, 2014, 04:47:46 pm »

The GFWL situation is... strange.

As far as I've been able to gather, there was an announcement related to Age of Empires Online last August that stated that GFWL was going to shut down on July 1, 2014. This announcement was quickly pulled. When asked about it, Microsoft only made vague statements about "continuing to support PC gaming in the future" and did not confirm or deny either way.

Since then, in response to the news, almost every single big-name title using GFWL has dropped it and moved to a different platform (usually steamworks). This includes some second-party developers for Microsoft. Throughout this, Microsoft has remained entirely silent.

Now, a week from the date, when specifically asked to comment, Microsoft has made another somewhat vague statement:
We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service. As previously announced, as part of the retirement of Microsoft Points the Xbox.com PC marketplace was closed. Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual. We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future.

This has been widely reported as "Microsoft denies GFWL shutting down" but the overall situation is still rather odd. If it wasn't shutting down and it was all a rumour, why did they never speak out to stop everyone abandoning the service en masse? Why have they still never come out and specifically stated "No, it's not shutting down"?

I'll be fairly surprised if it does shut down on the 1st, but not at all surprised if a formal announcement on its demise is made within the next month or so.

On the bright side, Namco-Bandai has made its own vague statement that they're going to continue supporting Dark Souls PC's online, and they're looking into alternatives to GFWL. So it should be safe.

And I absolutely recommend that anyone who plays Dark Souls does it online. Due to the online being integrated with the entire campaign, there isn't really online vs. single player, there's "the whole game" vs. "the game with several major features it was designed around missing". It's by no means unplayable or bad offline, but it's an entirely different experience. Same's true for the whole series.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: June 23, 2014, 08:04:35 pm »

Doesn't really matter if GFWL is going to shut down or not since it's been so (rightfully) poisoned that no sane developer would even consider using it.

On the steam sale front is it strange that I can't see the community choice games?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »

Doesn't really matter if GFWL is going to shut down or not since it's been so (rightfully) poisoned that no sane developer would even consider using it.

On the steam sale front is it strange that I can't see the community choice games?
I can't see them either, I assume Steam is just somewhat overloaded and the problem will be fixed in a few minutes. Happened to me a few other times.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: June 23, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »

Nope, can't see 'em. Hmm.
Obviously, no one voted.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:39 pm »

Nope, can't see 'em. Hmm.
Obviously, no one voted.
Dammit, Steam. This is what happens when you don't make up your mind. All is lost, it is the end times, truly.

EDIT: I can see 'em now. The world is saved.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:21:36 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: June 23, 2014, 08:30:25 pm »

lego movie game is a community choice option while lego movie game is already daily deal

thx gabe

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: June 24, 2014, 02:11:33 am »

And the community choice option is 1 cent more expensive.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: June 24, 2014, 02:28:38 am »

My pet theory is they aren't shutting it down so much as re-branding and relaunching it. GFWL with it's horrible reputation goes down, Windows live games store extravaganza!!! (or whatever) goes up with none of the baggage (so they hope) and most of the same code.

I have absolutely no proof, of course.. but it's the only thing I can really think of to explain the situation.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:59 am »

Ok, this is relevant because both games are on sale on GOG.com right now.
When I was younger, I was so entranced with the glory that was Empire Earth. I loved that game. Now, both it and 2 are dirt cheap on GOG.com. But I'm not sure which to buy! I only ever played 1, but which is better?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: June 24, 2014, 10:32:33 am »

My pet theory is they aren't shutting it down so much as re-branding and relaunching it. GFWL with it's horrible reputation goes down, Windows live games store extravaganza!!! (or whatever) goes up with none of the baggage (so they hope) and most of the same code.

I have absolutely no proof, of course.. but it's the only thing I can really think of to explain the situation.

Third time is the charm eh? This current iteration of GFWL is actually their second relaunch attempt, after their first attempt fell on its face badly.

My guess is that MS got the situation they wanted: they pitched themselves a core networking solution, enough people bought into it that the decision to pull the plug was met by a lot "What the fuck man! You can't shitcan the MP on my super successful game like that!" So they're extending the life of the service for a handful of games that claim they can't find another solution fast enough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1134