Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1452611 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8715 on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:22 pm »

Or people just switch to the team that's ahead if they can (you can do that right?) and otherwise just stop crafting badges until their team is in the lead.

The other three teams having near identical points is actually highly likely once you have enough people per team.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:33 pm »

Is Rogue Legacy.. actually good?

I pirated it a while back to see if it was worth buying, and it seemed very plain. The whole "genealogical" aspect seemed more like "your next character is vaguely named after your previous character" and that's about it. Most of the character modifiers were just downright terrible, and since you were given a number of choices, there was never really a reason to go for the character who had exploding head disease or wibbly wobbly vision unless you had a thing for gimping yourself. Seemed like an illusion of variety more than anything.

Then again, the trailer video looks a whole lot more fleshed out than what I remember playing. Any thoughts?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IMO it's still a lot like you explained. It's cool and fresh at first but after a few deaths and after you've seen pretty all different character set-ups it's getting boring. Also the default keybindings just suck. But maybe it's just my antipathy for most platformers. So don't take my post for granted. I didn't play it much anyway due to the said reasons.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »

It's fun but not great.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: June 23, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »

Speaking of the rigging, if it's the one I read about (and it looks to be), the plan is to have all teams win twice (5 teams, 10 days). Blue Team has day 5 (which is now) and 10, forgot the others. It's a sweet thought at least, certainly better than Valve's "pay to be on the winning team" competition.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »

It's still a pay to be on the winning team competition, only now you know which token you need to buy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »

Is Rogue Legacy.. actually good?

I pirated it a while back to see if it was worth buying, and it seemed very plain. The whole "genealogical" aspect seemed more like "your next character is vaguely named after your previous character" and that's about it. Most of the character modifiers were just downright terrible, and since you were given a number of choices, there was never really a reason to go for the character who had exploding head disease or wibbly wobbly vision unless you had a thing for gimping yourself. Seemed like an illusion of variety more than anything.

Then again, the trailer video looks a whole lot more fleshed out than what I remember playing. Any thoughts?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like it, though it's an upgrade-game not a roguelike.  It's practically impossible to win without dying a few dozen times.  I'm a fan of 2D platforming and I still took over 100 generations to win.  Still, the pacing worked alright for me.  It's an easy game to walk away from and come back to, I wouldn't try to beat it in a sitting by any stretch.  More a "Hm I'm in the mood for some platforming" and play about an hour (5-10 runs).  It apparently took me 20 hours to win, but I played off and on over a couple of months.  Once victory was in sight I was able to sit down and finish it.

Being able to put the game down and come back like that is kinda rare for me, only Zeno Clash comes to mind as similar.

The traits keep the grind from feeling grindy, such that I was playing for fun rather than in any hurry to finish.  A lot of traits are mixed blessings, only a few are purely bad, and it can be worth enduring them in order to get a Hokage or Paladin (classes which fit my melee playstyle better than the mages).  All the classes can be played roughly the same, but they have unique abilities which are rewarding to figure out.

The bosses felt good, very possible to avoid damage altogether if you play perfectly.  They tend to have a lot of projectiles on screen but the arenas have a lot of platforms to dodge on, so it's a matter of tracking many slow moving entities at once.  Beating each one was a major rush, particularly when I started a run with no expectation of success.

There's also an extensive newgame+ which is exactly what I hoped for: more of the same but harder.  You can also re-enter a completed boss arena to fight an uber version of the boss with a pre-set character, though they are beyond my skill as a player.

Bit of advice:  Buying runes is the only unforgiving mechanic, as they get more expensive as you buy more.  A single "float" rune is amazing in general and especially for navigating the "challenge" rooms (some special chests will require you to take no damage, sometimes *deal* no damage, while navigating a gauntlet).  It's basically a 1-2 second jetpack with perfect maneuverability, I'm not sure why double jump runes are even a thing.  My other 4 rune slots I used for vampirism, or occasionally gold+.  The other rune types seemed eh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8721 on: June 23, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »

Battleblock Theatre is on sale as a daily deal, 75% off, $3.75. Opinions? Is there online multiplayer matchmaking or dedicated servers or anything? It seems like multiplayer is an emphasis for the game, if all it has is multiplayer with Steam friends or local then I don't think I'd get much out of the experience.

Just a note that if you are interested in this, it is significantly cheaper to get the Can't Stop Laughing Bundle which contains both Battleblock theatre and castle crashers.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: June 23, 2014, 01:24:17 pm »

Hmm... think FTL will drop below 60%?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: June 23, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

Dark Souls, the first one. Steam Daily Deal for 5 monies.

I seem to recall that it lost or is going to lose it's online functionality soon. In addition I recall hearing something about a shoddy pc port back when it got released. Is it worth a playthrough purely as an SP experience? Were the pc release woes just fanboys bitching or have the issues been fixed since then?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: June 23, 2014, 01:37:03 pm »

Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition is on sale for about 10$. I'd recommend it, though I think you'd still have to get one more DLC to be able to reach the level cap with all the cool people you've been grouping with.

HOWEVER:

I wish Steam had a sale for people who have Borderlands 2 and would like to purchase Game of the Year edition included mods at the Game of the Year edition price. There currently is no discount for already having base BL 2 when buying the Game of the Year edition and it won't add a copy of the base game to the gifting inventory I could give away. I'd rather have the discount but the second would have been fine too. Despite the nice price on the Game of the Year edition I'm going to see what else goes on sale.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: June 23, 2014, 01:39:28 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:07:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: June 23, 2014, 01:39:53 pm »

I seem to recall that it lost or is going to lose it's online functionality soon. In addition I recall hearing something about a shoddy pc port back when it got released. Is it worth a playthrough purely as an SP experience? Were the pc release woes just fanboys bitching or have the issues been fixed since then?

It's an awesome game through and through, but playing with mouse & keyboard is only a good experience if you're an extreme masochist. Get a USB controller.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: June 23, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

Were the pc release woes just fanboys bitching or have the issues been fixed since then?

Neither. Third-party modifications are required for some people to get it to a playable state.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »

I seem to recall that it lost or is going to lose it's online functionality soon.
That's new. You sure that's not fot the console version?
In addition I recall hearing something about a shoddy pc port back when it got released.
Were the pc release woes just fanboys bitching or have the issues been fixed since then?
It's torture without a gamepad and you'll need to download a fix to get HD resolutions.
Also you have to use GFWL for all multiplayer aspects, which just doesn't work very well.
Is it worth a playthrough purely as an SP experience?
Probably. I liked the bosses quite a bit and compared to DaS2 you can beat all the bosses well enough as melee only.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: June 23, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »

Microsoft gave more time for GFWL so it will be awhile before online is dropped.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1134