Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453180 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: SALES Thread - GoG and Humble Store Spring Sales!
« Reply #8175 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »

I think we need a STEAM only sales thread.
 8)
I got nothing

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »

So... Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

Did you play the original?  This may color your view of things.  My comments on the topic are in two posts here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126295.msg4924647#msg4924647

the tl;dr is that the AI has been patched, isnt bad, but wont win any prizes for "best ai ever".

There is a "deadly island" mod or something like that which really beefs up campaign play.  story mode is a little grindy, and has some really stupid FPS sections (though a couple of them were fun).  I'm sort of sorry that I played through the story as it burnt me out on wanting to play the dynamic campaign. 

the campaign looks to be significantly more interesting, though there are fewer reasons to use the low-end technologies in the campaign.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure this was a Steam only sales thread originally. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »

YOU WERE ALL COMPLAINING THAT I SHOULD DO ALL SALES AND NOW YOU WANT STEAM ONLY SALES AGAIN, MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »

I think a thread about Steam sales and discounted games that activate on Steam would be the best to reduce clutter. Steam is still the main focus point but it allows people to post the really insane discounts of other digital vendors.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:11 pm »

I would support one topic. It'll save me having to dredge up the foetid, bloated corpse of a GoG topic to report on sales there. Besides, there's only really three sites people report on, Steam, Humble Bundle and GoG.

Speaking of GoG, they've got a spring dealy going on with Silent Storm 2 80% off with about 175 copies left. From what I've seem it's a rather nice turn based World War 2 squad based tactics game, though it delves into Sci Fi later on which might undermine the fun for people.

Spoiler: Mod Link and specifics (click to show/hide)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:06 pm »

Can't think of any reason to limit it, unless there are actually psychopaths out there who prefer Steam over DRM-free.

Also, anyone noticing a ton of crap on Steam lately? Was looking through the sales list, and it's like, 8 pages of random garbage before you even get to DLC.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: May 15, 2014, 11:43:01 pm »

I don't even really bother looking at the Steam Sales page. It's useless. In the time it takes to weed through it a minimum wage job will pay you what you're trying to save in purchases.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »

I just come to this thread or go on r/gamedeals to see if there's anything good.

If I browse Steam it's because I'm bored.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:07 pm »

Apparently GoG figures they'll make more money selling things this way. They must also think that it's not reprehensible (and ridiculous) to require people to sit at their computer watching the sales for hours in order to find out if something they are interested in is going to be on sale.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: May 15, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »

I think a thread about Steam sales and discounted games that activate on Steam would be the best to reduce clutter. Steam is still the main focus point but it allows people to post the really insane discounts of other digital vendors.
That was the intention, i doubt you all would jump up and down over Origin sales.
The original point of this thread was to discuss about current sales as to if the game is worth something to jump on. I would never be able to constantly maintain this thread for every damn sale available thats just brutal, but this is a place for Bay12 to bring up questions on a particular game that we don't have an active thread for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:26 am »

Apparently GoG figures they'll make more money selling things this way. They must also think that it's not reprehensible (and ridiculous) to require people to sit at their computer watching the sales for hours in order to find out if something they are interested in is going to be on sale.

I suspect they have a problem with employees doing things on their computers other than work and it's become normal.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: May 16, 2014, 12:27:41 am »

I would support one topic. It'll save me having to dredge up the foetid, bloated corpse of a GoG topic to report on sales there. Besides, there's only really three sites people report on, Steam, Humble Bundle and GoG.

Speaking of GoG, they've got a spring dealy going on with Silent Storm 2 80% off with about 175 copies left. From what I've seem it's a rather nice turn based World War 2 squad based tactics game, though it delves into Sci Fi later on which might undermine the fun for people.

Spoiler: Mod Link and specifics (click to show/hide)
It's a great game. The engine is pretty much the best thing you can have for a tactical TBS, very evocative of X-Com. Well, X-Com:Apoc, perhaps, but there's no realtime combat, so...

Spoiler: S2/S3 story spoilers (click to show/hide)

I suspect they have a problem with employees doing things on their computers other than work and it's become normal.
Actually, it's been run in the past, and people have requested it to be run again. Likely because you also have a small chance to gain a free game with every purchase during the sale. The point of it all, ultimately, is to make it less standard. Sales are damn near everywhere nowadays, and sure, it's convenient. But a sale like this gives you a sense of effectively playing a game. You never know if what you want will be up next, or whether it's on the list at all, and you have a chance of gaining something extra if you participate, so all in all this sort of thing encourages frequently checking the site to see if anything good is up. Which, while less convenient than a regular old sale, is rather more interesting.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: May 16, 2014, 01:25:43 am »

Personally, it encouraged me to spend my time doing anything else, but I can only speak for myself.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:26 am »

Also, speaking of Silent Storm and Sentinels, I got a giftable package of Silent Storm Gold from back when it was on sale on Steam. I'd trade it for something, but unfortunately everything I actually want at the moment is rather higher value than that (namely, Space Engineers and IL2 Sturmovik:1946), not to mention unlikely to be similarly lying around in anyone's back pocket.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1134