Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1452054 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #6360 on: October 05, 2013, 12:34:36 pm »

Eww, that does kind of suck. Can I download the game through Steam or do I have to rely on what I'm guessing is Sony Online Entertainment for it?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »

You download through Steam, but there is some sort of launcher made by SquareEnix that you have to log into in order to play. Kinda stupid.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: October 05, 2013, 03:57:46 pm »

Does anyone want the base game of Crusader Kings II?

If you're offering, and you still have it, I'd gladly take it off your hands!
Steam name? Add me, my steam name is the same as my forum name

Just added you, my steam name is the same as my forum name as well.  :D

EDIT: Thanks Forsaken you rock!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:03:57 pm by SirStrange »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6363 on: October 05, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »

Does anyone want the base game of Crusader Kings II?

If you're offering, and you still have it, I'd gladly take it off your hands!
Steam name? Add me, my steam name is the same as my forum name

Just added you, my steam name is the same as my forum name as well.  :D
Sent you the game. Enjoy :)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:54 pm »

Looking at the store page for FF7, what's this thing about a 'character booster'? Is that basically just saying "if this game is too hard we'll just let you cheat"?

If so, that's fucking bullshit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6365 on: October 05, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

Looking at the store page for FF7, what's this thing about a 'character booster'? Is that basically just saying "if this game is too hard we'll just let you cheat"?

Its not the first time. Seriously, one of the DLC for the new saints row is literally "Pay to access cheats"

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: October 05, 2013, 06:25:07 pm »

Its not the first time. Seriously, one of the DLC for the new old saints row is literally "Pay to access cheats"
Fixed. IIRC, SR3 had several DLC that allowed you to enable new cheats as well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: October 05, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »

No one's forcing you to use it, y'know. And it's a fairly-linear single-player game with absolutely zero competitive aspects. Why do you care?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »

No one's forcing you to use it, y'know. And it's a fairly-linear single-player game with absolutely zero competitive aspects. Why do you care?
Because they're charging for it? Charging to let the player beat a game that is too difficult for them is a significant dick move.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:05 pm »

Because they're charging for it? Charging to let the player beat a game that is too difficult for them is a significant dick move.
Not really. This isn't like some hardcore platformer where it all comes down to twitch skill. This is a JRPG, and in JRPGs no problems are insurmountable if you're willing to grind. Some people don't have time to grind through a difficult boss or just want to get through the storyline (whatever it actually is). For those that do have the time, they are not required to pay for anything. No one is holding a metaphorical gun to your head by blocking off parts of the game to those who won't pay, nor is there any point in worrying about the folks who "pay to win" because how powerful their party is has precisely zero effect on your own game.

So, again, why do you care?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »

I would assume he would care because it's monetising an aspect of a game that used to be completely free and highly expected. The kind of monetisation that has been ported from mobile gaming which is the most anti-consumer market in the industry. Perhaps he cares that companies that see they can sell this particular "content" will then develop games built around this particular mechanic. Making games either extremely soul crushingly unfair or tedious to force people into buying it, as the mobile gaming market has proven. 

I really don't like the pay-for-cheats/micro-transactions model in singleplayer games and I think supporting the companies that do is harming both the industry and the gamer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:53:13 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:45 pm »

I would assume he would care because it's monetising an aspect of a game that used to be completely free and highly expected. The kind of monetisation that has been ported from mobile gaming which is the most anti-consumer market in the industry. Perhaps he cares that companies that see they can sell this particular "content" will then develop games built around this particular mechanic. Making games either extremely soul crushingly unfair or tedious to force people into buying it, as the mobile gaming market has proven. 

I really don't like the pay-for-cheats/micro-transactions model in singleplayer games and I think supporting the companies that do is harming both the industry and the gamer.

That's much more eloquent than I would've put it, but yeah. Placing these kinds of mechanics is detracting from the gamer both in the game, and out of it. It undermines the game's originally planned pacing, and warps player expectation in a fiendish way.

That element about having to sign into an Square Enix login is brash too. That combined with character booster, I was originally on the fence about getting the game, but it would seem Square made the choice for me by placing me firmly into the 'don't purchase ever' side of the fence.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:14 pm »

I will probably keep my PS version of FF7. The PC version has so many problems. It always has. I do own the first PC version from before Steam.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:41:32 am by BigD145 »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: October 05, 2013, 11:47:28 pm »

Enclave is on sale for $2.49. It's labeled as an RPG but it's more of a First Person Shooter/Third Person Shooter/Third Person Sworder. It was also for original Xbox so it's a little ugly and its voice acting varies between OK and cringe worthy. There's separate campaigns for the good guys and bad guys and separate stories for each campaign.

If you're a fan of getting headshots with bows I very much recommend it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:57:20 pm by Leonon »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: October 06, 2013, 12:01:16 am »

That's much more eloquent than I would've put it, but yeah. Placing these kinds of mechanics is detracting from the gamer both in the game, and out of it. It undermines the game's originally planned pacing, and warps player expectation in a fiendish way.

Honestly, the game's original planned pacing was dreadful and woefully padded out.  I don't think they handled it well at all, but I'm hoping for a reimagination at some point that addresses those issues.  I feel it's understandable to have a character booster given the circumstances, but it should be free if they're going to do that because they're admitting their game had a certain factor that was truly terribly designed.

(Hell, if they had an option to skip the minigames, I'd actually use it.  I don't care if the game was originally presented in a certain way, those were terribly designed)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1134