Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463916 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4515 on: March 24, 2013, 12:34:47 pm »

They could be stored in the cloud, obviously, but I think it only syncs with the cloud and you can acces them without connection too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: March 24, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »

Sappho:
Might I suggest you have windows check your hard drive for errors (The one that Steam is/was on)? That could be the reason for your problems.

After that, I'd suggest running a SMART hard drive test to make sure your hard drive isn't failing (SpeedFan can do this). Just in case!

Check this to see where your Machinarium saved games are supposed to be: http://amanita-design.net/forum/index.php?topic=463.0
You should be able to verify whether they exist or not (There's no reason that steam would delete them; it shouldn't even know where they are).

You can have errors without the HD failing, especially if windows has crashed / bluescreened, or frozen, or failed to start windows or resume properly, or if you lost power while it was on, but they are usually easily correctable with the error checking thing in windows. Mind you, it's supposed to do it automatically, it just sometimes fails to. Fixing them normally fixes any files which were damaged (if you haven't already eradicated them out of frustration, but it isn't the files that are damaged, really, so it'll still get fixed, I believe).

P.S. For future reference, you don't ever have to use the uninstaller for steam unless you actually intend to uninstall it, since if you wanted to reinstall you can delete everything but SteamApps (which has your games) and Steam.exe, and run Steam.exe and it would re-install by re-downloading the other steam files from the internet. (You'd probably have had just as much trouble trying to remove them while it was running as the uninstaller did, though, although you would think Valve could have made the uninstaller notice that it was failing to remove things. Oh well, uninstallers frequently seem to be particularly dumb in general.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4517 on: March 24, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »

Yeah sorry guys didn't mean to derail the thread, it just seemed like the most obvious Steam thread. Shadowlord, this computer is pretty new and I've never had a problem with it before. I have, on the other hand, had problems with Steam before. Things tend to get crashy whenever Steam is running. I thought it was closed then found out it was still running in the background several times, and other programs tend to freeze is Steam is open. I quickly discovered that if I completely shut down Steam via the task manager (and stopped it from auto-running on startup), the problems went away.

I'll try the hard drive check just in case, but I think my current solution will be to avoid Steam as much as possible, only using it to play my current games if they won't run outside Steam. I never did find the Machinarium save, either. No idea where it might have been. Wasn't where it said on the Amanita forum. Giving up on finding it now. Maybe somehow Steam actually deleted it during the supposed uninstall. Frustrating. Not looking forward to having to shake that stupid bird off the wire again!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4518 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:37 pm »

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga on sale for $9.99. Great game, even if you don't have kids. Not sure how good of a console port it is, but I'm going for it anyways.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: March 26, 2013, 01:05:53 pm »

Terraria and a bunch of other indie games are on massive sale right now.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: March 26, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

Although not technically a steam sale, Humble Bundle has been having weekly deals now.  This week you get:

1$ or more will get you Darksiders AND Red Faction Armageddon.
6.79$ (changes slightly over time) or more will Also get you Darksiders 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla.

Apparently they all activate on steam.  I liked Darksiders quite a bit, so I'll be picking this up for Darksiders 2.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:45 pm »

Sounds like the THQ sale returns already. Mostly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »

Although not technically a steam sale, Humble Bundle has been having weekly deals now.  This week you get:

6.79$ (changes slightly over time) or more will Also get you Darksiders 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla.

Apparently they all activate on steam.  I liked Darksiders quite a bit, so I'll be picking this up for Darksiders 2.  :)

I thought you said dark souls and almost punched my computer. (because I've been watching the steam sales like I hawk and bought it for 20 dollars recently after a loooong wait)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:59 pm »

Wasn't Dark Souls on sale on Steam a few days ago?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:39 am »

Wasn't Dark Souls on sale on Steam a few days ago?
Yep, that's when I bought it.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:00 pm »

I've heard good things about Guerrilla, but I put down Armageddon after about 30 minutes of play.  Is Guerrilla a distinctly different/better game?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:55 pm »

heard good things about Guerrilla, but I put down Armageddon after about 30 minutes of play.  Is Guerrilla a distinctly different/better game?

Not sure.  I never played much of Guerilla because Games for Windows Live was giving me grief.  I was thinking of giving it another try sometime though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »

Guerrilla's kind of an open world type shooter in the vein of Just Cause 2 but with less focus on mobility and more focused on destruction.

If I recall correctly Armageddon is just a corridor shooter?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:11 pm »

Red Faction: Guerilla is awesome.  It's a sandbox game, with multiple set missions, but the funnest thing to do is run around in trucks covered in remote charges and crashign them into high value buildings.  And then detonating them, and watching the carcass of the car go shooting out through a hole in the roof.  Or jumping out, tumble along in low mars gravity with ragdoll physics, and then crash it into a fortified bunker to start your base assualt.  Or you can blow a wing off an EDF flyer, watch it lose control, and crash into a nearby guard tower before blowing to pieces.  Or you can get into a heavy walker and throw EDF tanks into nearby buildings, and then walk through those buildings.  Or you can use an arc thrower to electrocute everyone in a tank, then climb in and blow up EVERYTHING in site.  So if you don't like blowing things up, then you might be able to enjoy running around with the sniper rifle and nano rifle, stealthily sneaking into a heavily defended base to blow up a key structure, or rescue hostages.   And Toady himself list it as one of his favorite games.  (It was somewhere on that Reddit thing)
But Armegeddon sucks.  I have a few hundred hours of playtime on Guerilla (Singleplayer), and however many hours it took to beat armegeddon.  They kept everything bad about the game, and took out everything good (Except blowing stuff up.  But they sitll managed to ruin that somehow.)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:05 pm »

Yeah, Guerilla is somewhere between Mercenaries and Just Cause, but on Mars. Also apparently may have some connection to Saints Row, canonically.

I loved Guerilla on the 360, but I bought it for steam a while back and couldn't run it adequately on my computer. I'd guess it's not all that great of a port, but I haven't heard too many complaints about it.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1135