Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463905 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4500 on: March 23, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »

I'm scratching my head as to why she had to do any of this at all. I've been using Steam for years and have never run into an issue that required a complete re-install.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227680/

Its not on sale right now, but this game looks kinda amazing if they manage to pull it off.

Starforge, Its what would happen if minecraft and borderlands got freaky and had a love child, with a little bit of halo, starcraft, and mirrors edge thrown in for good measure.
All of my want. That structural integrity thing and laser power looks interesting, and I couldn't stop laughing with the guy tied to his jeep.

So yeah, if they pull this off...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: March 23, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227680/

Its not on sale right now, but this game looks kinda amazing if they manage to pull it off.

Starforge, Its what would happen if minecraft and borderlands got freaky and had a love child, with a little bit of halo, starcraft, and mirrors edge thrown in for good measure.

I've seen one of those trailers somewhere before, but I can't remember if it was here or not. And yes, if they get it done right and at reasonable cost, I'll definitely be buying it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49:00 am »

You can buy almost the entire total war series for 20 bucks right now. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4504 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:09 am »

She doesn't even have to do that.

She can just set Steam's install directory in Steam itself to wherever she used to have Steam installed. I believe it's in view > settings > downloads > steam library folders. That way Steam just automatically links to what her old install folder was so she doesn't have to copy paste things. Though I'm honestly still scratching my head at why she didn't just install it where she had it before, or how that would have been "too much work" compared to what she has to do now.

I am good with graphics and video software, but I know nothing about code or data or any of the stuff most of you guys seem to take for granted. Here's what happened in detail:
1. Try to open Steam. It starts auto-updating.
2. Update downloads, it says it has to restart Steam. Click OK.
3. Progress bars while it installs. Suddenly, it crashes, says some file is not found (don't remember which) and closes out.
4. Try to restart Steam about ten times, same result each time.
5. Annoyed that update seems to have deleted some critical file. Try to "repair" Steam installation using install file newly downloaded from site.
6. "Repaired" Steam still gives me same error when I try to open it. Getting frustrated, run the install file again and this time select to uninstall the program entirely, figuring I'll just do a fresh install and be done with this.
7. Uninstall runs fully, I get the message the program is successfully uninstalled.
8. Try to reinstall program: get the error message that Steam must be installed to an EMPTY folder.
9. Confused, look in program files and find that all the Steam files are still there despite the supposed uninstall.
10. Extra annoyed now, try to delete entire folder to reinstall. Get error message that Steam is in use.
11. Probably should have used ctrl alt del to find Steam program (apparently still running despite everything) and force close it, but didn't think of that and instead just renamed the install folder to Steam2.
12. New install works fine but all my games are obviously missing. Re-downloaded a couple before learning that I can just copy and paste them from the old folder to the new one.

I still have no idea what the hell went wrong, but I really dislike Steam and I'm not likely to buy through them again. Let me buy the game - great. I download it, and let it run on its own. I don't want to run through your program and I see absolutely no benefit to it other than allowing you to bombard me with ads and control my bought and paid for games. It reminds me too much of iTunes, which I refuse to let on my computer for various reasons.

EDIT: Apparently I can't just copy-paste the game files. I managed to get the app to see the game installs, but the saves are gone and I don't know where they've been stored. Something tells me I will have to start all over in Machinarium, after all the hours I put into it already... Yep, never buying from Steam again. No thank you to constant automatic updates, my games relying on your program working, and the program apparently continuing to run in the background even after you have shut it down.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:24:08 am by Sappho »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: March 24, 2013, 07:27:47 am »

Bombard you with ads? All the ads steam has given me so far is the window displaying new sales.

Also, there are plenty of games that will work without steam if you launch them from their folder. And steam not working for you doesn't mean it crashes for everyone.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4506 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:47 am »

Yes, and I have no problem with other people using and enjoying Steam (and iTunes, for that matter). Have a great time. I'm just done with it.

"I don't like it and I'm not using it anymore" is not the same as "It's bad and no one should use it anymore."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:09:36 am by Sappho »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:11 am »

The crash in step 3 would have frustrated anyone.  I'd probably like Steam less if I ever had to deal with that mess myself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: March 24, 2013, 10:39:42 am »

You can copy and paste game files. The problem with saves is that not all of the saves are in the Steam folder. Some are elsewhere.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4509 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

You can copy and paste game files. The problem with saves is that not all of the saves are in the Steam folder. Some are elsewhere.

Any idea where they might be? I didn't alter anything on the computer other than the Steam program itself, so if the games have their own save files somewhere, I'd assume they would still be there. Yet when I open the games now all I get is the option to start a new game. For most of them it doesn't matter, but I'm really frustrated about Machinarium. Anyone happen to know where the save for that might be hiding and why the game isn't seeing it? Thanks.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:50 am »

Some files go to the documents folder.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:01 am »

You can easily disable the "bombardment of ads" by going into the settings window and changing your favorite page to your library and disabling "Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases" under the interface tab.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:22 am »

Some of the save files are in My Games.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: March 24, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »

Putting this thread on topic.

Dark Souls and Natural Selection are 50% off~

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: March 24, 2013, 12:32:49 pm »

Some files go to the documents folder.
Some of the save files are in My Games.

If this was the case, the game would find the save files.

Could the Steam Cloud have erased them the way it did to my Dredmor characters?
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1135