Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463840 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4455 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »

Bastion is very much a $15 game in that regard.
Do you mean this as a compliment or an insult? You're in the Steam Sales thread, mind, so 'twould go to the former.

I mean it as I said it. It's not some deeply mechanical game, with tons of replayability. It is like a lot of games that released on Steam in the last year or two: very visual, action-y and, for lack of a better term, casual.

A good comparison would be Hotline Miami, which retails at $10 I think? So much of the appeal of that game is in the feeling, the presentation and the action. It's not a complex game, a long game or a game designed to bring you back time and again. Bastion is the exact same. The music, the narrator and the visuals, which give you the "feeling", are why the game is so highly acclaimed by some. That truly motivates some people. But as an actual game? It's an isometric hack 'n slash game with a few mechanical bits added on (like your choice of beverages or the weapon upgrades you got.)

Whether that's a dig or a compliment is honestly up to the person to decide.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: March 20, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »

Yeah, sometimes games are worth it just for the experience.  I bought Thirty Flights of Loving for like a dollar.  Gamewise there is nothing to it, and you finish in about half an hour. 

I'd still consider it worth it for the experience though, because it was a pretty unique game.

I'm kind of surprised so many people didn't like Bastion though.  I had a great time with it.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »

I've played quite a few free flash games with more depth.

If you're going to do a visual storytelling, just make a cartoon.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: March 20, 2013, 03:15:52 pm »

If your main interest is in game mechanics, then yes you probably won't like a game for its art, storytelling, and voice over.  Chiming in the say I loved every minute of Bastion.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: March 20, 2013, 04:40:18 pm »

If your main interest is in game mechanics, then yes you probably won't like a game for its art, storytelling, and voice over.  Chiming in the say I loved every minute of Bastion.
That person you're describing sounds like this guy: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516

I too love Bastion. It's awesome as hell. It's so awesome in fact that I have the Bastion announcer for Dota 2, which cost me more than this game. By ten times. Interestingly enough, that announcer is so freaking popular that I'd believe it if someone told me it has outsold the actual game itself. There isn't a single stream without the Bastion announcer. If you join a random game, there's a damn good chance the Bastion announcer will be available for use.

I could kinda see why people would dislike the gameplay, but I think the voicework and music more than makes up for it. Especially for $1. Well... $3 for the soundtrack.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:40 pm »

Really? The voicework (well, it's just one guy) is good and the music is decent, but the monologue (I was about to say dialogue but that's not right) is inane and the story so far makes no sense whatsoever. Trite platitudes are not suddenly deep and profound when said in a gruff voice. I'm also not very curious as to how it ends.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »

Same here. Liked it at the start but neither the gameplay nor the story could get me to keep playing after ~30 minutes.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: March 20, 2013, 05:14:08 pm »

The narrator helps set the atmosphere and background for the game. Since it takes place in a post-apocalyptic period, and the few sources of information you have all have their own perspectives and agendas, the narrator is the only source that's able and willing to fill in the details of what the world was like before things went wrong. Without him, it'd just be another gamey game with a setting as shallow as the original Donkey Kong.

They could've done with fewer, more unique weapons, though. And maybe a few side maps to extend the play time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4463 on: March 20, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »

I couldn't play bastion for more than an hour or so. Got bored. Never did get far.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08:01 pm »

I liked bastion.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »

I think the saddest sale I seen was when this game that has been on my "I WANT" list for a long time went on sale... it was when I was low on money.

I can't afford it now because the sale is over but I could have when it was on.

Ohh RPGmaker you will be MINE! maybe... I don't know really.

---

As for Bastion a HUGE factor of whether or not you will like the game is if you like the narrator.

If you love him he is like syrup on pancakes.
If you dislike him he is like sand on pancakes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:19:42 pm by Neonivek »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »

I think the saddest sale I seen was when this game that has been on my "I WANT" list for a long time went on sale... it was when I was low on money.

I can't afford it now because the sale is over but I could have when it was on.

---

As for Bastion a HUGE factor of whether or not you will like the game is if you like the narrator.

If you love him he is like syrup on pancakes.
If you dislike him he is like sand on pancakes.
I have the same problem.  Silent Hunter 4 and 5 go on sale- Not enough money for either.
And my mom complains about how much money I spend on Steam.  I've spent a grand total of $84 on there.  I used to spend more on a single visit to gamestop. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »

I tremble with excitement at the prospect of critiquing a game made by you.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4468 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:15 am »

You're better off tring to get Silent Hunter elsewhere. I got it when there was a sale at getgamesgo.com. Doesn't activate on Steam, which is a major bummer, but I got it for $10 including the expansion pack, which is what all the mods are for, and actually improves performance quite a bit. It's not on sale there now though :\

I'm not sure what SH5 is like now, but I heard horrible things. Modders might've fixed it by now?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: March 21, 2013, 12:40:20 pm »

Steam is having a spring indie sale. 

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/indie_spring2013
http://www.steamgamesales.com/

Lots of good stuff!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 1135