Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463837 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4425 on: March 18, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »

E: As for the season pass, just pay me £15 and I'll give you something at some unspecified point in the future.  Sound like a good deal to you?

This is so true. The last (and first) time I bought a season pass type thing, by the time new content was out that I'd paid for, I wasn't playing the game anymore. It was one of the big things that kept me from Borderlands 2, before I heard how borked the rest of the game is. So... no, pre-order is almost never worth it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

I really do hate the concept of the season pass. "We'll give you three more elements of the game within a year of its release, just pay X more!" 's disrespectful, IMO. Casts the days of free DLC in an unnecessarily good light.

Bioshock Infinite is just about to the point where every pre-order receives XCOM: Enemy Unknown, as well as Bioshock and TF2 items. Purchase a $60 game and get $70 worth of other games free. Something's not quite right about that.
If you don't care about those items I'd recommend against the pre-order. Were it still up for decision I wouldn't get it until the price goes down. Bioshock has yet to produce anything worth a full $60, however good it may be.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: March 19, 2013, 06:48:50 am »

They're giving away a recent game with it? That sets off all my warning bells.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: March 19, 2013, 11:21:32 am »

Something has go to drive sales, to pay for the 3,095,138 trailers they made for BS:I pre-release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:10 pm »

Yep, it's official; all tiers unlocked. Buy Bioshock Infinite now on Steam and get two games exceeding its value for free.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: March 19, 2013, 01:28:19 pm »

Yep, it's official; all tiers unlocked. Buy Bioshock Infinite now on Steam and get two games exceeding its value for free.

Huh, I guess that makes it a worthwhile pre-order if you don't have those games yet and want them, even if BI sucks.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #4431 on: March 19, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »

The original Bioshock ($20 but it's on sale for $5 what feels a dozen times) and XCOM ($50 and will probably drop on the next sale) or am I missing something?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: March 19, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

It's worth it now then.

XCOM costs the same (in the UK at least) as the Bioshock preorder, so think of it as buying XCOM and getting a Bioshock preorder for free.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »

Bastion is the first of the Humble Weekly Sale. Go get it. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »

Yay, finally something to spend those 0.81EUR in my paypal account on. Now to see if it's as good as you all claim it to be.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: March 19, 2013, 06:25:21 pm »

Buy Bioshock Infinite now on Steam and get two games exceeding its value for free.

All of the alarm bells.

If BI is junk, then you're not getting them for free, you're paying $60 (or whatever it is where you are) for them. If you were to buy them during sales, they'd be considerably cheaper. If you were to buy them and BI during sales, and wait a while for BI, you could potentially get all three cheaper (especially if you waited for 75% off sales).

I can't imagine why they'd be throwing games at people for pre-ordering unless they were desperate to get people to preorder, and I imagine that could only be because they either spent too much money and need to make it back somehow (and think this will boost revenue), or know that it will get bad reviews and are trying to get people to buy it without waiting for reviews.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: March 19, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »

Buy Bioshock Infinite now on Steam and get two games exceeding its value for free.

All of the alarm bells.

If BI is junk, then you're not getting them for free, you're paying $60 (or whatever it is where you are) for them. If you were to buy them during sales, they'd be considerably cheaper. If you were to buy them and BI during sales, and wait a while for BI, you could potentially get all three cheaper (especially if you waited for 75% off sales).

I can't imagine why they'd be throwing games at people for pre-ordering unless they were desperate to get people to preorder, and I imagine that could only be because they either spent too much money and need to make it back somehow (and think this will boost revenue), or know that it will get bad reviews and are trying to get people to buy it without waiting for reviews.
Well it sorta worked for XCOM Enemy Unknown

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:09 pm »

All of the alarm bells.

That's not really a valid comparison, though. Obviously, if you wait until everything is on sale you get it cheaper. That's kind of the exact opposite of Pre-ordering, where you know you're paying full price in order to play the game as soon as possible.

Getting free games along with the one you're pre-ordering is a perfectly valid bonus from the standpoint that those game decrease the risk involved with pre-ordering.

If your goal is simply to save money, yes, by all means just wait until everything is on sale. If your goal is to play X game as soon as possible, then getting games that are a known quantity in addition to said pre-ordered game simply makes the risk a bit more palatable while increasing the potential reward (2 good games + a potentially awesome pre-ordered game).

Now, that's not to say that the fact that they're throwing two games into this to get you to pre-order isn't a warning sign. I'm just saying that if getting those two games now at that price is worth it to you plus the ability to play BI on release day, then it's a good deal even considering the risk of BI being bad.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

Pre-ordering does not get you the game earlier than day 1. Buying even a month after release does not hinder you from playing the game at all. There is always a risk in buying something before you get it in your hands and even know what it is. If you have that kind of money to burn, put it to a better cause. Make a nest egg. Buy bonds. Don't encourage shoddy products.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »

Oh shit Bastion for $1. GET IT GET IT GET IT.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1135