Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463753 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4395 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:35 pm »

Should I get the first three Tropico games or the fourth one?
The fourth one is very similar to the third.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4396 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »

But with some important differences. Honestly I like the fourth one the most and would recommend it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:50 pm »

But with some important differences. Honestly I like the fourth one the most and would recommend it.

+1
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:02 pm »

My roommate loved the 4th one.  I remember he got pissed of at a save corruption bug in the third one.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: March 08, 2013, 05:55:24 pm »

4th is pretty much a total upgrade to 3. But for some reason I like the look of 3 more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »

As mentioned before, Tropico 4 is basically a (very large) expansion pack for Tropico 3. Same basic mechanics and functionality as T3, but includes a whole bunch of new buildings, a new faction, some new systems (faction disasters, real disasters), etc.

If you don't own either of them, buy Tropico 4 for sure. If you already own Tropico 3, buy the 4th if you want more content for T3.  :)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: March 08, 2013, 06:22:54 pm »

Ok, now time to... damn it, I have two too few cents to buy the bundle.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 08, 2013, 06:44:03 pm »

Max Payne 3 & DLC on sale right now. Fantastic game for a reasonable price.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:45 pm »

I'd say OK game at a good price. If you've played one Max Payne, you've played them all IMO. MP3 to me was notable for the redonkulous amount of cut scenes, and a story that kind of just drags on...and on...and on. Want to see Max drink hard liquor and stare into the distance? Oh boy, are you in for a treat! The handling and shooting are good on the PC, but they've always been pretty good in MP games.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: March 08, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »

I heard MP3 was a movie.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: March 08, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »

I heard MP3 was a movie.

Honestly, if there's anything to appreciate about the game, it's this. There's good dialog, nice scenes and framing....yes, it's very much like a movie where you shoot people for 10 to 15 minutes between scenes.

Unfortunately the story ultimately isn't as sharp or honed as the production values. I mean:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:01:59 pm by nenjin »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: March 08, 2013, 07:00:57 pm »

I heard MP3 was a movie.

There are a lot of cutscenes, but the Max Payne series has always been story heavy. Except in 1 and 2, they used comics rather than cutscenes.
If you are looking for Modern Warfare : Max Payne Edition, it's probably not a good buy.  I personally love noir fiction, so I like the "movie" aspect. As far as nenjin's criticism ... uh, frustration is a very common thing in games. A lot of games have the same kind of screwed up loop of convenient plot twists , from Mario Bros to Braid. Played a mid 90s squaresoft game? Defeat the bad guy, oh no, bad guy is back x 100. It's not a bad thing in iteself.

The visuals are great, the controls are slick, and the music works really well. I think it's highly underrated.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:32 pm »

Except for how seriously the game takes itself. That's why it didn't work for me, at all. I was digging the story (obligatory cutscenes of Max drinking aside), but when it hit midgame it just went as flat as a pancake. They took the theme of victory always being out of your reach and made 4 levels out of it, and after a while it got so thin and transparent, it's like the writers just kind of took a break. It shows in Max's dialog as well. He starts repeating, in sentiment as well as word, the things he's been saying since the start of the game.

I've played all the Max Payne games, and I can this is honestly the first time I found both the story and Max boring. I love Noir, personally. And Max Payne has always been known for taking Noir so far to the point it becomes parody. Except in MP3, it's not really funny. It's cheap and played out "like a $3 whore dragging herself across a floor covered in piss and broken glass."

Plus, there's not really any of the characteristic weirdness of Max Payne games. Instead they substitute in a lot of screen noise and colored effects to simulate how fucked up Max is all the time. In the beginning I was like "That's pretty cool, that immerses me." By the middle of the game, it was giving me a headache. At least in that, I had a moment of real enjoyment when:

If Rockstar's goal was to make me dislike Max so much and share his self loathing, that the end of the game actually felt a little bit like Redemption, then they accomplished that. The end of the game was pretty good, I will admit.

But the road leading up to it was very long, repetitive and pretty damn boring in terms of the story. It's still essentially Max Payne in all things, but it's probably the most "grown up" of all the games. Something about the game just elicited strong, unfavorable reactions from...and it wasn't the constantly down beat note of everything, every inner thought and some of the sheer brutality of the scenes. I'm pretty used to that from MP and plenty of others games. It was how some of it was handled, and how it felt like there was so much padding.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 08, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

Max Payne 3 is pretty good. I wouldn't say it's worth full price because of how little replayability there is (and it seems to actively discourage replayability because of the inability to skip cutscenes, of which there are an infinite number) but for $14 I think it's pretty good.

Essentially you're paying the price of a movie ticket for a really long movie. It's a good movie, not particularly stellar, but good. It's also very well optimized and the shooty shooty bang bang bits are honestly quite fun. The physics of you falling all over the place is quite amusing too.

Mrm... if you want to know how the story is, it's kinda the same level as GTA4. If you like that you'll like this too.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »

Worth buying Football Manager 2013 at 50% off a day after Football Manager 2014 is discovered on Steam database?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1135