Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463435 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4140 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:24 am »

I kind of want to break my universal VN rule and go back and play it, (I never play VN's more than once... usually.) but it would ruin the ending I got already.
It's not a standard VN. You could go back for the purpose of finding out more of the story in the ship logs. The amount of story you actually participate in is quite small (though you would need to steer it in a different direction to get different logs).

On the subject, +1 endorsement for Analogue. Good if you like reading about Korean family drama. And that didn't sound appealing to me but I still enjoyed it.

Well, it is pretty much a typical VN with a unique mechanic. It tells a story, and allows you to make choices. For the most part, it's based upon the story, which you learn about through the logs and with the interactions and reactions between and with Mute and Hyun-ae.

And it's a whole lot deeper than "Korean family drama".
I need to put something interesting here.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: November 22, 2012, 12:28:41 am »

I argue that your preconception of "Korean family drama" is the difference factor. That is all the story is about. Families and their interaction with each other and within themselves. There's a degree of a statement on society, particularly sexual discrimination / misogyny, but it's mostly family. Certainly not shallow, but I didn't imply that at all, your preconception held that.

To me, typical VN with unique mechanic = nonstandard VN. I agree with you.

If this discussion of the merits of the game is too far a derail, someone say so.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: November 22, 2012, 01:34:06 am »

Adding a late +1 to Analogue. The whole story gave me a solid 8.1 on the feels-o-meter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:28 am »

Adding a late +1 to Analogue. The whole story gave me a solid 8.1 on the feels-o-meter.

It made me feel horrible too.

From then on, I just kept her as detective, because I got a little manly giggle out of it. Detective work. Yeah.

What would have been really great is if

The endings are really bittersweet.
I need to put something interesting here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: November 22, 2012, 01:43:44 am »

I stuck with the scientist outfit myself :P

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: November 22, 2012, 01:46:28 am »

I went with detective :)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: November 22, 2012, 07:13:02 am »

How are my chances of X-Com getting a better sale in the Christmas sales? 
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4147 on: November 22, 2012, 09:37:40 am »

I'm curious about this too. At it's current sale price, I think it can do better. Plus, I already did all my shopping all the other past sales (and need to cut down on my spending anyway, and play through my backlog of games anyhow), so my attention is focused on a select few games during the Fall and Winter sales; namely XCOM for now.

I'm going to be away from my computer for most of the day starting the next hour or so, so I'd like to know which flash sales I missed out on while I was away (more out of curiosity).

A Valley Without Wind is at a pretty decent stable price (-60%) for the whole sale. Not to sound like a cheap-ass, but I wonder if it can go as low as -75% during a flash sale? Otherwise, 6 bucks is a pretty decent price for it. Plus, I wouldn't mind going past level 2, and off-continent sometime.

Also looking at Fortune Summoners and FTL, along with Cortex Command (Didn't notice that until now).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:14:01 am by Itnetlolor »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: November 22, 2012, 09:49:08 am »

Before anyone jumps in about the art, A Valley Without Wind is having a sequel free to people who own the original. Less sandbox, less unique artstyle, closer to a more normal metroidvana with art made by heavy cat studios.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »

Also looking at Fortune Summoners and FTL, along with Cortex Command (Didn't notice that until now).

Fortune Summoners is fun. It's got a cute storyline that isn't excessively sweet, the combat (while a little slow and awkward until you start learning new moves and combos) is really good for a 2D platformer, and the AI for your allies and enemies is nothing short of amazing.

FTL is like most roguelikes: challenging, frustrating, and addictive. It's reasonably short - you can beat a game in just a couple hours, assuming everything goes well - but you unlock new ships and loadouts as you play so you can keep trying new strategies.

Finally, Cortex Command is a real love-it-or-hate-it type of game. Some people love it for it's pixel-based physics and terrain system, brutal combat, and ridiculous modding community. Others hate it for awkward controls, simplistic campaign, and substandard (but improving) AI. I fall into the first category myself.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: November 22, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

Not great. Sure, there's a chance I'll have to eat my words... but it's a newly-released AAA game. Those rarely go on sale for more than 33%. I'd guess you'll have to wait until at least the Summer Sale for a 50% off deal, and possibly until next Christmas.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: November 22, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

Fortune Summoners is utterly wonderful.

I'm waiting on FTL, Half Minute Hero, Dawn Guard, Age of Wonders, and maybe anything I see interesting.

I just got Gmod today :)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: November 22, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »

I should mention that Adventures of Shuggy is on for 2.50.  Its a puzzle platformer, and I had a ton of fun with it. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4153 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »

So I grabbed Zeno Clash and it's totally worth the one dollar if anyone was still on the fence about it. Combat heavy, great melee combat system, it has it's issues (Seems a little too obsessed with ranged weapons for it's own good at some points), but overall a very fun game, with a really nice setting.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4154 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »

Quick people well versed in steam sales, would you say that it's possible skyrim will be getting a bigger discount then 33%, whether during this sale or the winter sale?

I don't usually pay a whole ton of attention to sales, so I dunno what the trends are. Or if there's even a way of safely saying so. Although if I recall big name games by big name companies like bethesda usually don't get very good sales? So I'm not sure if this is a really good deal or if I should hold out for better.

Thanks in advance! Even if there's no way to know.  :P

Yep, it's just gone on sale for 50% off, unlikely to go any higher in this sale.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1135