Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463308 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4065 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:17 pm »

Bad thing about GTAIV: Windows Live is REQUIRED. You can't even save if you aren't signed in.

This may be a dealbreaker for some, not such a big deal for others.

I never really noticed anything about Live when playing GTAIV.
Although now I think about it, part of the laggy gameplay might be because of Live.
All I now is that I couldn't save without creating and signing in to a Live account. It just kicked me out of bed, and when I came back the next day I had to start all over (thankfully I was not very far).
Little known fact, you can create an 'offline' live account and save just fine without ever connecting to live. Its not advertised well because they want you to go online.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Dark Souls is 33% off this weekend. If you want it, now is the time to get it. It may be discounted for the Christmas sale, but I won't be surprised if it's not.
To be clear, this is well worth the money, unless you find yourself disliking the game. Respectable length and medium to high replayability.

Nuclear Dawn is 75% off today, putting it as $2.49 US. I've heard it's good, but this is hardly a unique sale.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: November 09, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »

Nuclear Dawn is completely dead and it has been for a long time. They just couldn't get the numbers needed to make the gameplay work which is rather sad, it was a decent little game. Last time I check there was a single server with six people online with 400 ping.

I heard Dark Souls has one of the worst PC ports ever. It's strange they didn't outsource the port if they didn't have any experience with porting. The guys that did the Mass Effect 1 port did a fantastic job.
It's also 70 USD here without the sale and I refuse to buy any game that uses insane price regions.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: November 09, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »

It's a bad port but it's entirely playable. The store page strongly recommends a gamepad. (Though I have heard one account of certain PC keybindings being better than a controller.) If you have an Xbox or PS3, you'd probably be better getting that version, depending on what price you can find it for.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: November 09, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »

Bad ports are more than just controls however. I heard it's locked at 30 frames, graphics are rather meh and some of the UI elements haven't been scaled up from 720p, there might be more I've forgotten. Honestly the FPS alone could be a killer for me, if you going to have a game all about skilful combat and quick reflexes you'd want it to be nice and smooth with quick input.

Also "entirely playable" doesn't translate to 70 dollars to me.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: November 09, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

Most of the port issues can be fixed, but you'll have to do some of it yourself. I think there's discussion of that somewhere in the Dark Souls topic, and plenty of information online. For $70, I'd say the game isn't worth it. There are FPS issues (Blighttown has terrible lag at times, as well as a few other spots) and the graphics aren't amazing.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: November 09, 2012, 08:18:09 pm »

About Dark Souls, i have it on PC and it's true that, for convenience, i had to install a couple fixes (for better FPS and proper resolution). It wasn't too hard to find though, and i'd say that the game is definitely worth it. I'm using the keyboard+mouse controls as well, and it's completely playable this way. You just have to figure out which key does what (for instance the main menu is "End" instead of "Esc"), but after that it's a blast.

The combat system is probably the best i've ever used. I really like the items, they aren't generic and randomized, and most of them are sidegrades rather than upgrades. You can totally keep using the same longsword for the whole game, since you can upgrade most weapons and armors to improve their stats. And instead of heavy armor being automatically better, it also gives you movement penalties depending on weight and your endurance, meaning you're much more likely to get hurt because you can't move fast enough to dodge and you get tired faster. When i started as a paladin I realized that my survival rate against the first boss was going up when i removed all my armor.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: November 10, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun has a new article on how to tweak PC Dark Souls.  Just sayin'.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: November 10, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »

Civ 5 is $7.49 on Get Games and has a Steam activation. http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/sid-meiers-civilization-v
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: November 10, 2012, 12:58:14 pm »

Just incase anyone didn't see me mention it in the Dota 2 Thread...
I have a ton of Dota 2 Steam Gifts, counting 6 atm, I seem to get one every day...
Add me on steam if ya want one...
[DFC]Nanoth...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: November 13, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

Super Meat Boy is on really cheap today.  Its a lot of frustration fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40800/
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »

Super Meat Boy is on really cheap today.  Its a lot of frustration fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40800/
This apparently takes a surprising amount of graphics power. My otherwise-sufficient laptop suffered massive slowdown and even glitching through walls while playing this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: November 16, 2012, 05:30:22 am »

So it's not quite Steam but it activates on Steam. 

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/action/jet-set-radio/

Jet Set Radio: $4.99 (50%)
$3.75 with the coupon GMG25-UAAHK-6AI9S. It's a 25% off coupon and should work on other titles. 

GMG35-5BRU6-ZDRX7 is 35% off Borderlands 2, XCOM and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare in case you're interested. They should all be Steamworks titles.

It's a great little game and I recommend it. I didn't own it back in the Dreamcast days but I have to say it's aged pretty decently. The graphics hold up (although it's a shame the port didn't get a HD texture pack) and the soundtrack is as good as ever. Not noticing any real technical problems, controls are great (using xbox controller) and FPS seems fine. I'm getting some very rare slow-downs but I think that's more related to my hard-drive spinning down.

Been having a lot of fun with it and it was fairly easy until I got up to this Yo-Yo bloke who wrecked my shit. After a while I realised that you have to do the final part is a specific way or you can't beat him. Happy to report I just iced the mother-trucker and I'll get back to playing when this violent blister on my thumb has settled down. :)

EDIT: Although this thread is mainly about actual Steam sales it should be alright to use this thread to post up sales on legit steam digital retailers as well, right? Doesn't seem like the type of thing that would warrant a new thread.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:56:47 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: November 16, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »

I'm surprised Awesomenauts hasn't been mentioned yet. It's free until Sunday and you can currently buy it for $4.99 (normal price is $9.99). The soundtrack edition is only 5.99, and is worth every extra penny.

The game is 2d, vertical, cartoony take on MOBAs, is easy to learn (especially for a MOBA), fastish paced, fairly well balanced, and visually pleasing. The entire game is in the style of an '80s cartoon, going as far as to give each hero their own theme song.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4079 on: November 16, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

Wahaaaaaaaaaaaaay too DLC though.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1135