Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463231 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3975 on: October 03, 2012, 10:29:53 am »

Yes, but as you stated "it isn't legally binding" and that's the crux of my post.  Someone may have won a lawsuit, but that doesn't make "by law, focus all efforts on maximizing shareholder value" true.  Lawsuits are won/lost on a daily basis, but it doesn't create law based on the outcome.  It may impact other lawsuits, but it doesn't write law.

This is of course true, but I think misses the point. Although people do inaccurately state it's legally binding the fact it's been the course of suits, and more importantly removed people from their highly paid board positions, means that although the facts of the statement are clearly wrong the general point behind it, and the reason the factoid is so popular, still holds true.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3976 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »

Starpoint Gemini is on sale. It looks interesting, but has received ravingly bad reviews. The thing is, it's also gotten some pretty darn good reviews. Overall, the metacritic score is low.

I am undecided. I love some space tactics goodness, but don't want to waste yet more money on an unfinished mess that doesn't grab me.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:34 am »

Darksiders II is half off. It's not even two months old. Lackluster sales?

It seemed too stupid an idea to bother with, but I'm sure someone will welcome this sale. It's part of a bigger THQ sale.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:27:58 am by BigD145 »

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 06, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »

Ok, heres the deal, I have $6.38 and I was looking into buying a game off steam since its the only place I can find with neat things.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Without any background knowledge on the genres you enjoy all we can offer is subjective advice. You'll have to put more effort into your post if you want us to help you.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »

Ok, heres the deal, I have $6.38 and I was looking into buying a game off steam since its the only place I can find with neat things.

Wait until Thanksgiving/Christmas for Steam Sales.

Commence purchase spree.
Also often called Boowells.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 06, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »

$6.38 thats some cold hard cash :P

The warhammer 40k series are back on sale along with Company of Heroes, anything else is XCOMs and old sega games.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 06, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »

If you have a limited budget, you can also keep an eye out for the humble bundles. You won't find any AAA titles there, of course (even old ones in the bargain bin) but a few gems pop up now and again. Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Braid, etc. SPAZ. Some bundles are better than others.

They won't show up directly on steam per se, but the games come as steam keys, and you can either visit the site itself (and subscribe) or just hang around places that talk about games to hear about them. The last one just ended so it might be a while before the next one comes around.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 06, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »

I am just spending the remainder of a pay card, it charges $3 for every month so I'd not be able to wait for holiday sales, I think I found some $4 thing that'd do... thanks.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 06, 2012, 06:47:07 pm »

For the record, The Binding of Isaac is the most I've ever gotten out of my money. $5 standard for the game, bought it for $2.50, played it for about 100 hours. New DLC came out at $3, and now I'm at nearly 300 hours played. 300 hours, maybe even more (I haven't completed it yet), for $5.50. Obviously not everyone will get this much out of it, but I've yet to hear of anyone who felt they didn't get their money's worth.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 20, 2012, 03:29:02 am »

This thread seems to have keeled over a bit, just trying to revive it with a quick question:
Three things have gone on sale on Steam which I could get. Could I get some advice on each one?
They're: AI War: Fleet Command (with 3 DLCs), Payday DLC and Alpha Protocol.

Thanks.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:52 am »

AI War (which has 4 DLCs, mind you, the new one just isn't on as much sale) is a very long, quite good strategy game. The demo limits you to a 3 hour campaign outside the tutorial if that tells you anything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 20, 2012, 08:34:27 am »

The fourth one is also currently on sale, but only for 10% off (not part of the base+3 DLC bundle for 75%).

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 20, 2012, 08:41:19 am »

I thought Alpha Protocol was great; player choices had a noticeable impact on the story (and would even determine what bosses/encounters you'd face), the combat and stealth were good, soundtrack good, and it had a well-paced and interesting story. Quite frankly, I'd consider it the best game I've played this year if not for two reasons: AP's hacking mini games were very annoying eye puzzles and I played Deus Ex right after finishing Alpha Protocol... so yeah. Also, the bosses were extremely difficult (granted, I was playing on hard difficulty and had built my character up around stealth).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:43:18 am by Flying Carcass »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 20, 2012, 10:36:41 am »

Alpha Protocol seems pretty good, but it's quite unpleasant on my system with a mouse, so I've not had much experience. I highly recommend using a gamepad for it, but maybe other people have had success using a mouse.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1135