Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463194 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3960 on: September 29, 2012, 05:35:40 am »

So I have an extra copy of Civilization 5 from preordering xcom. Who wants it?
Me. Loved civ IV, liked the Civ V free weekend.
Steam username = Bay12 username

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3961 on: September 29, 2012, 06:12:55 am »

Added you. Add me back and I'll send it over. steam name = forum name

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: September 29, 2012, 06:18:30 am »

Should have added you. Steam was acting a bit weird.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3963 on: September 29, 2012, 06:36:06 am »

You show as offline currently...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: September 29, 2012, 06:38:21 am »

You show as offline currently...
It's because I am. Steam doesn't like the computer I'm running it on know(Neither do I btw). Should be able to get my proper computer later. Will try to start it again.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:33 am »

Did steam completely wipe the old steam forums or are they available somewhere?

EDIT: nevah mind, if I had bothered to click just one link I would have found they're still there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:22:42 am by olemars »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:33 pm »

Looks like steam now has software:  http://store.steampowered.com/software/

Some of them have achievements even, pretty funny.  :)

I'm also entertained that you can spend 20 dollars to benchmark your PC, and then another 20 dollars to benchmark it with "DX11".   :P

Also interestingly GameMaker: Studio is on it.  I wonder if Unity and UDK will follow suite?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: October 02, 2012, 01:58:30 pm »

I was thinking about making a topic for it but this should do. 
I'm a bit in two minds about the whole software thing. I don't ever believe in monopolies and I think Steam branching out might in the end make things worse for consumers. On the other hand the software appears to be (mostly) game related so when coupled with things like the Steam Workshop and Greenlight we might see things getting a bit more friendly for developers. 

It's something I really have to sit down and think about.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3968 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »

Also: Universe At War is currently on sale for cheap. Grab it if you haven't played it but like RTS. I thoroughly enjoyed it, mostly for having 3 genuinely different races. That's something that I haven't seen for a long time. One race has their base be giant mobile units, the others can almost teleport using a network of transport relays and so forth.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: October 02, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »

Oh my, they've finally added freely customizable install locations for steam games.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: October 02, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »

Holy shit. Software. Just as with games, with a demo, achievements, screenshots and even a game-hub!

Exciting times.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: October 02, 2012, 05:14:32 pm »

I was thinking about making a topic for it but this should do. 
I'm a bit in two minds about the whole software thing. I don't ever believe in monopolies and I think Steam branching out might in the end make things worse for consumers.

I don't really know what to think, myself.  On the one hand, I don't like monopolies unless they're tightly regulated, and I don't like organizations that are as 'silent' as Valve is.

On the other hand, I very much favor Valve holding the digital gaming monopoly over EA, or MS, or any publicly-held corporation.  Corporations have to, by law, focus all efforts on maximizing shareholder value.  It's literally illegal for them to prioritize consumers over shareholder profits.

Valve, being privately held, can do what it wants.  That worries me in itself, but I take comfort that, over the ten(?) years that Steam has existed, Valve has shown that it does care about their customers.  They don't always do the right thing, but I think the record shows that they try to.

My biggest technical issue with them is in their internal culture of 'work on what you want to.'  I think it leads to boring but necessary stuff getting shortchanged.  Case in point: the Steam Client.  It should be far ahead of where it currently is.

Oh my, they've finally added freely customizable install locations for steam games.

Woot!  We only started asking for this flexibility ten years ago.  Now that's service!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:18 am »

Corporations have to, by law, focus all efforts on maximizing shareholder value.  It's literally illegal for them to prioritize consumers over shareholder profits.
I keep hearing this, but so far nobody has pointed out the law that requires this... Please don't buy into the current anti-corporate hype train.  Failure to maximize profit is not criminal or enforceable.  Yes, there are greedy people and companies in this world, but there is no law that says they have to prioritize shareholders.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/8146/are-u-s-companies-legally-obligated-to-maximize-profits-for-shareholders
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:45 am »

Corporations have to, by law, focus all efforts on maximizing shareholder value.  It's literally illegal for them to prioritize consumers over shareholder profits.
I keep hearing this, but so far nobody has pointed out the law that requires this... Please don't buy into the current anti-corporate hype train.  Failure to maximize profit is not criminal or enforceable.  Yes, there are greedy people and companies in this world, but there is no law that says they have to prioritize shareholders.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/8146/are-u-s-companies-legally-obligated-to-maximize-profits-for-shareholders

There are a number of cases where companies have been successfully sued by shareholders who felt their interests have not been followed, and, more commonly for the board members to be actively removed for that reason.
So although it isn't legally binding there is, in effect, an obligation for them to do so even at a detriment for the companies long term interests unless they want to risk losing their position in the company.

Edit: That stackexchange actually links to the linked in article talking about board member removal in the first answer.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:12 am »

There are a number of cases where companies have been successfully sued by shareholders who felt their interests have not been followed, and, more commonly for the board members to be actively removed for that reason.
So although it isn't legally binding there is, in effect, an obligation for them to do so even at a detriment for the companies long term interests unless they want to risk losing their position in the company.

Edit: That stackexchange actually links to the linked in article talking about board member removal in the first answer.
Yes, but as you stated "it isn't legally binding" and that's the crux of my post.  Someone may have won a lawsuit, but that doesn't make "by law, focus all efforts on maximizing shareholder value" true.  Lawsuits are won/lost on a daily basis, but it doesn't create law based on the outcome.  It may impact other lawsuits, but it doesn't write law.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1135