Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463137 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3900 on: September 15, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »

So this Star Treek Online, which is free to play.
Is the free to play version worth it?
Any limits I should know of?

And the game itself, is it worth wasting time on it?
What's the pros and cons?

Pros: Space combat is awesome (at least, for an MMO). Circling around your enemy, trying to keep your target in your best firing arcs, trying to figure out what weapons he has (and thus his firing arcs), and that sweet feeling when you land a torpedo volley the moment his shields drop.

There's also a lot of design depth in ship combat. Do you bring a beefy cruiser and load it full of beam arrays, allowing both fore and aft weapons to fire simultaneously in a broadside? Or do you pick up a nimble assault ship, pack your fore weapons with high-damage dual cannons, and execute deadly strafing runs? What special abilities do your bridge officers come with?

Progression is pretty quick. Levels come rapidly - you can hit the level cap with ~2-3 weeks of constant playing. Not that it really matters, since the game scales anyways.

There are difficulty levels! You can change difficulty on the fly. Not something you see in many MMOs.

The real money shop isn't that big a factor. Real money ships grant small advantages in combat, but ship combat relies enough on skill that cash ships aren't really important.

F2P has very few limits. You're limited in credits (I think it's 10 million, which doesn't matter unless you're using the auction house in the end-game), and your inventory will be a bit cramped (though totally useable if you aren't a total pack rat). Nothing major that I can remember.

Cons: Ground combat is terrible. It comes down to "lock autotarget, spam abilities, pray the other group dies first". Think WoW, except much less ability depth, and you're trying to manage 5 characters at once. And trying to use "FPS mode" is nothing but a very elaborate way to commit suicide.

The real money shop is expensive. Want a new shirt? You can only buy it as part of a package... which is $5. New ship, that carries a slight advantage over the old one? $25.

Dilithium grinding is either moderately enjoyable or a chore. You earn raw dilithium by completing specific daily quests. By the 20th time you've completed the exact same quest in the exact same way, it starts getting horrifically boring. The 'Academy' events are particularly bad - run around a non-combat zone for an hour, and cross your fingers for a bunch of coin flips.  >:(

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 15, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »

So this Star Treek Online, which is free to play.
Is the free to play version worth it?
Any limits I should know of?

And the game itself, is it worth wasting time on it?
What's the pros and cons?

STO is basically fully playable for free. There isn't really anything that says "oh, I've GOT to buy this with real money", an exception is maybe buying extra character slots (you start with one fed and one kling). Even most of ships you can buy aren't better than the free ones, in fact most of them are better versions of LAST TIER ships (so, weaker than the one you get at current level but a bit cooler maybe). And unlike other well-known F2Ps like LotRO or DDO, there are no quests or character levels to unlock with money either, AFAIK. And there's also a "dilithium exchange" where you can trade your hard-earned dilithium for real cash credits, albeit it's a bit grindy and slow.

The good thing about cash ships is that once you unlock them, they're free and unlimited for all compatible chars (in the correct faction), you can scrap them and re-"buy" them at no cost as many times as you want.

Both ground and space combat is pretty cool IMO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:21:03 pm by Sergius »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 15, 2012, 05:05:29 pm »

Note: I haven't played in a few months.

STO has an entire huge multi-season campaign that you can play through, and you definitely don't need to pay to do that. It takes place a few decades after Spock tried to prevent the Hobus supernova from destroying Romulus (and failed), so it ties into the Star Trek (2009) movie but is effectively the timeline of the non-altered universe (basing this on the possibility that the time travel in that case forked off an alternate reality instead of replacing the existing one, for whatever reason).

Cons: Ground combat is terrible. It comes down to "lock autotarget, spam abilities, pray the other group dies first". Think WoW, except much less ability depth, and you're trying to manage 5 characters at once. And trying to use "FPS mode" is nothing but a very elaborate way to commit suicide.

I agree with basically everything you've said except for this. I use FPS mode exclusively during ground combat and do well. Of course, I also have all my keys remapped so that the entire left side of the keyboard controls all my abilities (holding down a modifier key makes it act on the right half of the abilities instead of the left half). Then I use mouse buttons for movement instead of the keyboard (as I have a plethora of mouse buttons). Of course that's not strictly necessary, it was just faster than clicking the buttons or trying to use the number keys to activate a few of them.

(What's this about managing your other characters? That's possible? (Obviously in space you can map their abilities, but I couldn't on the ground))

How hard ground combat is depends strongly, from what I've heard, on whether you picked any ground combat abilities when you were making your character. If you didn't, it will be harder for you than it will be for someone who had.

You get free ships as you increase in rank. Not sure if you get one for the last ship category when you advance to the last rank category. I think you might not. (I have not reached it, as I haven't played recently. I've played through the romulan season and the 'seasons' before it, and that is as far as I have gotten in the storyline. You can also go back and replay missions, and will get the mission rewards again, at a higher level if the rewards' level depends on your level when you complete the mission. Some rewards are at a fixed level and a few rewards don't have a level or level-scale with you as you continue to level up.)

I have used the auction house, and it is frequently useful for selling off loot which you don't want (especially green (uncommon?) or higher rarity, which bind on equip), although some things will simply not sell (or are selling for ludicrously low prices, especially often common (white quality) items or lockboxes), and in that case you're better off selling it to a vendor or just recycling it using the replicator (which gives you less money, I believe).

You can trade dilithium in the dilithium exchange to get the points that are used to buy the premium ships, or buy anything else that costs points (additional inventory or bank space, character slots, etc), however, it takes a LOT of dilithium and there are other things that require dilithium (certain crafting components for higher-end items, for instance).

Also, don't buy keys for lockboxes. The odds of getting a ship out of one are close to zero. :P

(I always got my dilithium from Ker'rat but I'm reading that it has been nerfed or the mission removed?)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:09:21 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:15 pm »

You get free ships as you increase in rank. Not sure if you get one for the last ship category when you advance to the last rank category. I think you might not.

You do not. All tier 5 starships are bought using store credits. However, most of them are retrofits of tier 3 starships, so their superiority is... debatable. Some have SLIGHTLY more hull points (like, 40,000 instead of 39,000 of the last ship you got for free :P), most of them have some sort of funky unique ability, like cloaking for the tier 5 Defiant. Some of them even have worse crew stations than the tier 4 free ones...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 16, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

Alright, made a.. dwarf-like character.
Named him Urist Gravelbeard Boulderfist.
Urist as normal name.

Also, i did not know how to choose cryptic, so its on Perfect World instead.
Any Bay12 guilds/fleets online?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »

Urist as normal name.

Copycat!

I play as Urist McDoohan (display name McDoohan@GrooveTiger), dwarf-like alien..

There's no difference between cryptic and Perfect World, they're just the login account (cryptic is obsolete now). They both play in the same serverspace.

I don't think there's a Bay12 fleet, there isn't even a Bay12 STO topic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:10:36 pm by Sergius »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 16, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »

Urist as normal name.

Copycat!

I play as Urist McDoohan (display name McDoohan@groovetiger), dwarf-like alien..

There's no difference between cryptic and Perfect World, they're just the login account (cryptic is obsolete now). They both play in the same serverspace.

I don't think there's a Bay12 fleet, there isn't even a Bay12 STO topic.

Then it's about time someone made one.
Alas, I have no idea how to create a fleet.
And I don't think I have the credits for it either.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3907 on: September 17, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

I just got a 50% off coupon for Anno 2070, a game I highly recommend for people who enjoyed the other Anno games.

First person to PM me here gets it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 17, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »

I just got a 50% off coupon for Anno 2070, a game I highly recommend for people who enjoyed the other Anno games.

A game I don't recommend for anyone that dislikes always on DRM. I think it was 75% off or so during the summer and I still didn't touch it. The whole underwater thing is little more than a gimmick and land/air battles are horrible. The mechanics for fighting on islands has only gotten worse over the years.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »

A game I don't recommend for anyone that dislikes always on DRM. I think it was 75% off or so during the summer and I still didn't touch it.

Don't forget about the 3 activations.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:02 pm »

I liked the idea of it, but I would've liked it more if it wasn't based around islands. Take that concept and add a much more advanced RTS dynamic, like Sup Com. SupCom with Anno's resource management - it doesn't need to be as dense as Anno, but that sort of 'mine-ship-refine' resource management. Add a RISK-style province/territory meta game, and capital region for sandbox development and civ-level tech advancement (owned territories feed back to the capital, and how you develop your capital determines what units/techs are available in new territories). Resources can still be region based, even within a territory (you won't find all ores everywhere, nor would soil conditions necessarily allow all crops to be developed).

Needs refinement but I just liked the resource management system and I wanted a heavier action and urgency to the RTS side.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:56 pm »

A game I don't recommend for anyone that dislikes always on DRM. I think it was 75% off or so during the summer and I still didn't touch it.

Don't forget about the 3 activations.

Forget? That's pretty much an unspoken given for always on DRMs.

I liked the idea of it, but I would've liked it more if it wasn't based around islands.
It wouldn't be Anno if it didn't have islands. I think 1503 was the last really good Anno. 1404 and 1701 were okay.
It sounds like you just want to play SupCom, which is perfectly fine as long as you avoid 2.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:36:34 pm by BigD145 »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:45 pm »

they already removed the DRM now so its just one time online activation

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile