Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462671 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3420 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:48 am »

Added you on Steam, hit me up when you get online.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:54 am »

So, I *just* noticed GalCivII is on flash deal. Anyone comment on the expansions? I tooled around a bit with the base game, but spent more time in the ship designer than actually playing. If the expansions are noteworthy I might give it a second look sometime.

EDIT: Screw it. I'll get $5 just out of making ships.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:39:07 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: July 20, 2012, 01:45:49 am »

I've discovered that there are an astonishingly large number of people who loathe that game, especially the ship designer, and I have yet to figure out why.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:53 am »

EDIT: Screw it. I'll get $5 just out of making ships.
That's the spirit!

I've discovered that there are an astonishingly large number of people who loathe that game, especially the ship designer, and I have yet to figure out why.
This is indeed puzzling. I suppose there's at least one feature the ship designer could really use (ability to keep functional bits when upgrading a design), but I don't see why anyone would loathe it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3424 on: July 20, 2012, 02:23:45 am »

STEAM. WHY. WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME LIKE THIS. EVERY TIME I PROMISE TO STOP AND SAVE MY MONEY, YOU OFFER AN AWESOME DEAL AND I SNATCH IT RIGHT UP. WHYYYYYY.

But seriously, i've bought like 17 new games so far thanks to this big sale (not counting all the DLC, expansions, etc.). Half of which i can't install this month, because i'm getting close to my monthly download limit just thanks to the first half!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:28:56 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3425 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:48 am »

I bought a game I regret (Pacific Storm) and the Sword of Islam DLC so far...

I can recommend SPAZ, and about GalCiv it was just that I was more interested in the strategic part, and every danged time I had some miniaturization, weapon, hull or whatever upgrade I'd have to go and do the ships all over again. I don't really care how they look, since I never actually SEE them (strategic mode is meant to be played zoomed out with ship icons, not models, and nobody's gonna convince me otherwise), so it was just tons of fluff that I didn't really care about. Which is similar to the planet building mechanics. They put up a grid for no real reason. They could just say which bonuses you get and how much space (a number) there is and that would be that.

It's a really good game, and I put quite a few hours into it, but again, there's tons of fluff that's not adding to gameplay and that makes playing it less fluid and streamlined. Fluff. Kinda like putting gravel on top of a nice pavement.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:39 am »

Still waiting for Victoria II to come on sale. I missed the last Paradox sale on Steam and was unable to pick up the expansion which I've been wanting to get for ages.  :-[

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:55 am »

I only bought Fallout New Vegas so far. I would grab Skyrim if it was also $10.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 20, 2012, 04:28:26 am »

When last I played it (a long time ago, and not with the latest expansion, but it was with Dark Avatar, the first expansion):

Did I already say this? Not sure. Well, if not:

GalCiv II had no soul, the tech descriptions were horrible, the tech tree itself was horrible, and the game design was horrible. By that, I mean that there was no way to intercept ships in movement during the enemy turn (in non-tile-based games like MoO II or SoTS you can intercept them long before they reach your systems, or they are forced to fight you when they arrive), and if they fly past your defense fleets in one turn it was impossible to keep a defense fleet at a planet to defend it unless you built a specific building to allow them to function as a fleet. If you didn't, every ship fought a separate battle, resulting in them being easily taken out one by one, which made no sense because you didn't need to build anything special to have fleets anywhere else. (What actually happened to make me quit the game forever was that I did this to an AI. I made warships and transports with so many movement points that I could fly them from our borders to an AI's planets in one turn, and built enough of them that I could take out any ships sitting at his planets in one turn and capture all his planets, causing all his other fleets to disappear and removing him from the game. I moved them to the border in one turn, he warned me that they should not be there, and then I declared war the next turn and eliminated him. Then I quit because it is just terrible that the game even allows that. I think Stardock's reasoning was that the AI on higher levels should call you on moving units next to their borders, and declare war if you do, but if anyone can build fleets that can cause one turn game overs for anyone else, you can't balance it by making the AI more paranoid...)

As a result of GalCiv II, I was wary enough to not pre-order Elemental, and after Elemental came out and they sold Impulse to GameStop, I wrote off Stardock entirely.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3429 on: July 20, 2012, 04:32:37 am »

GalCiv II had no soul -snip-
Couldn't agree more. The game was a ridiculous pile of unintuitive unplayable nonsense. Endless Space, a game still in Beta, is better than GalCiv2 was at release. Hell I enjoyed Space Empires 5, arguably the weakest in the SE series, far more than GC2.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: July 20, 2012, 06:38:01 am »

I think it's unfair to compare GalCiv2 to a game that came out six years later. When GC2 came out it had a very positive reception and was a huge hit for the time. Personally I think the game got worse with patches and expansions.

From Wikipedia: "GameSpot nominated GalCiv II for its 2006 "Best Strategy Game" award. The overall critical reception was highly positive, awarding an average score of 87%"
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: July 20, 2012, 06:58:06 am »

I still prefer GalCiv2 to the other 4X'es out there. Other than the needless 'humour' it is in my opinion far better than say Endless Space.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 20, 2012, 07:23:20 am »

I have very mixed feelings about Galciv 2.

On one hand, the ship designing (not the combat...) and the diplomacy were really great.

On the other hand... everything else... including everything else mentioned here... was quite terrible. The worst offender in my book was the goddamn space station "feature". Argh I hated those things. You couldn't ignore them as they gave such massive bonuses, but it was such an incredible pain in the ass to manage them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3433 on: July 20, 2012, 07:26:42 am »

The ship design would have been better if you just picked equipment. Attaching every fiddly bit to the hard-to-stick mount points was annoying. Now if it had been made as easy as, say, Kerbal Space Program's ship designing that would have been excellent.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3434 on: July 20, 2012, 09:30:39 am »

hmmm.... for some reason I can't vote on games any more
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1135