Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462556 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3330 on: July 18, 2012, 04:50:58 pm »

As long as you don't use it to buy physical goods, that is. That would not be good.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »

I'm just shocked anyone bought Bioshock during the sale, instead of from Amazon the week prior to it when I bought the pack of Bioshock 1+2 for $7.59.  The pack being steam keys...

But if it was regional, I can understand that.

Also I got Chantelise today for $2.49, thus having all Carpe Fulgar games now.

Also Reccetear has excellent post game options, and Fortune Summoners is like the best evolution of 2D fighter/Adventure/RPG I've ever seen.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »

As long as you don't use it to buy physical goods, that is. That would not be good.

I like free gifts in the mail.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 18, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

Bought Reccetear and spent a few hours playing, capitalism ho indeed.

Its a fun game,defiantly recommend playing with a gamepad though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »

Its a fun game,defiantly recommend playing with a gamepad though.
Why the gamepad? Does it make the dungeon controls less clunky, or is it still simple-directional? Because there's really no need for a gamepad while negotiating inflating prices.

I think I'll just get Recettear. Not terribly interested in the other games in the bundle, and I can always get them later. My current budget stands below $20, and I don't actually have the money currently. So I'll hold off, in case there's something else that really interests me.

Probably going to get The Binding of Isaac for a friend. I'd like to maintain my three-year streak of giving him terrible birthday gifts.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 18, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »

The gamepad made the dungeon fights alot easier for me YMMV.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »

Quick! Someone tell me about dead space 1&2.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: July 18, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »

I don't usually get scared by ghosts/monsters/aliens, by that game was scary when I watched my housemate playing it. The secret was immersion.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 18, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »

Good if you like space monster zombie action shooter games with jump scares and flickering lights. Bad if you don't.
I haven't played the second, but played through the first. Fun shooting off the limbs, at least.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 18, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

What's STALKER like? I've heard good things about it and that it's a horror shooter thing, but nothing specific.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:36 pm »

What's STALKER like? I've heard good things about it and that it's a horror shooter thing, but nothing specific.
Everything will try to kill you. The blind dogs, the large mutant pigs and dogs, the bigger monsters, the bandits, the military. The environment (anomalies). They will try to kill you and you will die (unless you're not playing on the hardest difficulty for some reason), but you will kill them. And then you will take their guns, their bullets, their food, their artifacts, their medical supplies. Through killing you will grow and make your way to the heart of it, where heavily-irradiated death and glory await. Such is life in the zone.

Best FPS I have played. Not very horrific, but the atmosphere is great. Very immersive, except the AI. If drinking vodka, running from packs of blind dogs, and engaging in shootouts with bandits interests you, get it. If not, get it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an extremely odd game. It's taken elements from RPGs such as quests, loot, inventory management and dialogue trees. However it uses all the elements from a FPS for it's combat, there's no stats or leveling at all (outside of some token gun upgrades in the second two games).

The game is one of the few open-world games that feel like the world is alive. Factions attack each other, explore, attack monsters or defend themselves from monsters. It doesn't feel as "flat" as , say, the Bethesda games.
The atmosphere is what the game did perfectly. The game is just grim. A heavy grim that weights on you. It's very subtle at slowly building up helplessness and isolation even though the world is fairly decently populated.

There's also quite some interesting themes going on. The major over-arching theme is the disparity between rich and poor and the changing generation/culture of the Ukraine. This is done via the factions with Duty being the old rightist traditionalists and Freedom being the new younger wave of people "embracing the West". 
Then you got the Bandits who are the realists and exiles, trying to survive in a harsh world by any means. Making a quick buck or enjoying their life while they've still got it. Finally there's the "Free S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s" who are a loose collection of nomadic "tribes" who tend to stay as neutral as possible in the Zone politics and try to help "new-comers".

Game has an over arching horror feel to it, but there's very little in the way of jump-scares. It let's the atmosphere put the player on edge by themselves. It achieves this mostly by the zone being a BRUTAL place. You'll be lucky if you survive 30 minutes in the zone without reloading. 

I say buy it. It's not a game for everyone but it's hell of an experience, I haven't seen one game come near yet. Shadows of Chernobyl is my favorite and has some awesome mods (go with Complete if you want a good "vanilla" experience), Clear Sky is rubbish sadly but Call of Pripyat has the most gameplay mechanics and quite a good story line (until the final chapter, yuck).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:18:59 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »

Stalker is not that scary but does have some atmosphere.  Fighting packs of dogs at night is quite difficult due to low light, for example.

(The King of atmosphere for me is the relatively unknown "King's Field: The Ancient City".)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »

Get out of here and buy the damn games, stalker.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3344 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »

Stalker is not that scary but does have some atmosphere.  Fighting packs of dogs at night is quite difficult due to low light, for example.

(The King of atmosphere for me is the relatively unknown "King's Field: The Ancient City".)

Great Armok I love you. STALKER is fantastic and so is The Ancient City.

Anyways, grab Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. Not only is it justified entirely by the price, but it's both good and different enough from the slop of the current market that it's truly memorable and enjoyable. Go now.
What scares me most about STALKER is the friggin' AI. They're too damn smart, even on easy difficulties (I don't play easy, but even so, like it would make much difference; it's THAT good.). One time, I got pinned at a train yard by a pair of snorks, a bloodsucker, and a pack of blind dogs led by a pseudodog. Did I forget to mention this is on normal difficulty, and I only took out a snork and a dog and the bloodsucker was their bait? Holy hell, they got me good there.

On the topic of Carpe Fulgur, Fortune Summoners completes my collection. Looks like a fun little game.

But yeah, about STALKER, Don't just stand there, come in.

EDIT:
I was also thinking about getting the Thief series. I heard it was good, and it was highly rated. Is it really worth it's hype?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:54:02 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 1135