Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462333 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3105 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:58 pm »

I'm sure it will go on a daily or flash sale for 75% if you're willing to wait.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: July 15, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

Both of them are good, but lolcat is probably right.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »

Yeah, but i only noticed after a 30 minute session of bastion and a 45 minute session of the unnamed russian game.

Add to that that my brother is playing roblox and that i cant stop browsing the internet, wich slows downloading down alot.
I kinda wish the download would take priority over roblox, so he would stop playing it due to lag :x

It pauses downloads automatically when you start up a Steam game. If that game doesn't need the internet, you can then alt-tab over and restart the downloads.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:57 pm »

Yeah, but i only noticed after a 30 minute session of bastion and a 45 minute session of the unnamed russian game.

Add to that that my brother is playing roblox and that i cant stop browsing the internet, wich slows downloading down alot.
I kinda wish the download would take priority over roblox, so he would stop playing it due to lag :x

It pauses downloads automatically when you start up a Steam game. If that game doesn't need the internet, you can then alt-tab over and restart the downloads.

Which is moronic, but we know this already.

Microsoft Flight is on sale if you want to buy into their dumbass "pay $15 for one plane" DLC.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:22:50 pm by BigD145 »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »

I half think it (AVWW) won't get a steep discount, because it's so new.

Hm.  Grimrock @ $6 today only.  Tempting.  I missed it on the first day.

Also, Dangerous High School Girls @ $4, but that price lasts the entire sale, so no point in buying quickly.  Mmm, virtual high school girls.  (Not what it sounds, it's a casual RPG/boardgame with minigames.)

Steam client sucks rocks.  Still sucks, after ten+ years.  Slow, single-threaded UI, bad presentation of information, weird design decisions, persistent bugs with offline credentials, can't even put games on a different drive without a 3rd party tool....

I blame Valve's internal organization.  'Work on what you want to.'  Yeah, then the fun stuff get polished really well, but the boring but necessary infrastructure remains in a barely-working mess.

Mind you, if any single company is going to control the PC download market, I would want it to be something like Valve, where the corporate heads actually care about games and do not have to maximize corporate value for stockholders.  Fuck GFWL, fuck Origin, fuck... um... well, that's it for the big boys, I guess.  Vivendi doesn't have a platform, Ubisoft wants to kill off PC gaming so they're not going to open their DRM thing to other companies, Nintendo is for Nintendos, likewise for Sony.

Hm, where was I going?  Right.  Steam client sucks.  Valve does not suck.  It's worth being cautious of their power and lack of accountability, but the situation could be way worse.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: July 15, 2012, 01:51:19 pm »

Hmm M&B series on daily deal, I should really buy Warband considering the hours I've put into the err... 'Demo'

Unfortunately the funds I've reserved for the sale aren't enough to throw Napoleonic Wars on top of it, but eh.

Thank you for alerting me to the fact that it's the whole franchise that is on sale and not just fire and sword.  I just picked up Napoleonic wars myself :).

Personally I think I've played over 300 hours of the various M&B games so I fully endorse how awesome they are.

Oh and Grimrock is worth it, go buy it!
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: July 15, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

Bought legend of Grimrock! 20 kb/sec download speeds make me so sad, it's like I'm back in dial up world, although it's still almost 7x faster than my dial up was...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »

Bought legend of Grimrock! 20 kb/sec download speeds make me so sad, it's like I'm back in dial up world, although it's still almost 7x faster than my dial up was...

Have you tried switching around what download server you're on? That can usually speed things up.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: July 15, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

I half think it (AVWW) won't get a steep discount, because it's so new.

Hm.  Grimrock @ $6 today only.  Tempting.  I missed it on the first day.

Also, Dangerous High School Girls @ $4, but that price lasts the entire sale, so no point in buying quickly.  Mmm, virtual high school girls.  (Not what it sounds, it's a casual RPG/boardgame with minigames.)

Steam client sucks rocks.  Still sucks, after ten+ years.  Slow, single-threaded UI, bad presentation of information, weird design decisions, persistent bugs with offline credentials, can't even put games on a different drive without a 3rd party tool....

I blame Valve's internal organization.  'Work on what you want to.'  Yeah, then the fun stuff get polished really well, but the boring but necessary infrastructure remains in a barely-working mess.

Mind you, if any single company is going to control the PC download market, I would want it to be something like Valve, where the corporate heads actually care about games and do not have to maximize corporate value for stockholders.  Fuck GFWL, fuck Origin, fuck... um... well, that's it for the big boys, I guess.  Vivendi doesn't have a platform, Ubisoft wants to kill off PC gaming so they're not going to open their DRM thing to other companies, Nintendo is for Nintendos, likewise for Sony.

Hm, where was I going?  Right.  Steam client sucks.  Valve does not suck.  It's worth being cautious of their power and lack of accountability, but the situation could be way worse.

I haven't had much issue with it. I have had issues with all the other DRM services (Ubisoft's uplay is a god awful disastrous mess...)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »

Ubisoft is just fail in general with drm.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:47 pm »

Have you tried switching around what download server you're on? That can usually speed things up.

If anyone else is having download speed related sadness you can use this to check the server loads.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #3116 on: July 15, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »

If you don't have warband yet.  You can't go wrong with it.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: July 15, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »

You're making me feel guilty for getting 1.3 MB/s. Tropico 4, here I come.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: July 15, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »

I disagree.  It's not fail at all.

It's a deliberate strategy on their part.  As are the consistently delayed PC releases 'for polish' (often not announced until the day they were supposed to come out; the console releases are always on time), the many, many bugs despite the 'polish', the games showing direct evidence of being console ports (30 FPS cap? press X button to skip cutscene?), the prerelease lies claiming that upcoming games will not have always-on, or lock-to-hardware, or whatever new DRM they've invented.

Ubisoft do not like PC.  I believed for a while that their over-the-top DRM happened because of corporate midlevel cover- your- ass- by- following- best- practices decisions, but now I am convinced that Ubisoft, at the very top, wholly believes that PC platform = 100% piracy = 0% profit.

I am flat boycotting everything Ubisoft publishes until such time as they have shown that they consider PC versions to be equal to console versions.  For a whole year, you hearin' me, Ubisoft?  (No they don't hear me.  They're counting my lost sales as piracy.)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:47 pm »

I disagree.  It's not fail at all.

It's a deliberate strategy on their part.  As are the consistently delayed PC releases 'for polish' (often not announced until the day they were supposed to come out; the console releases are always on time), the many, many bugs despite the 'polish', the games showing direct evidence of being console ports (30 FPS cap? press X button to skip cutscene?), the prerelease lies claiming that upcoming games will not have always-on, or lock-to-hardware, or whatever new DRM they've invented.

Ubisoft do not like PC.  I believed for a while that their over-the-top DRM happened because of corporate midlevel cover- your- ass- by- following- best- practices decisions, but now I am convinced that Ubisoft, at the very top, wholly believes that PC platform = 100% piracy = 0% profit.

I am flat boycotting everything Ubisoft publishes until such time as they have shown that they consider PC versions to be equal to console versions.  For a whole year, you hearin' me, Ubisoft?  (No they don't hear me.  They're counting my lost sales as piracy.)
Ah, Ubisoft. You so stupid. I'm with the boycotting.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1135