Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462081 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2805 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:07 pm »

The answer is pretty simple.

Laziness and greed.

Laziness because it's too much of a pain to change your prices every single time currency values fluctuate.

Greed because if everyone collaborates on a pricing structure, consumers don't have a choice but to pay extreme prices.

When it comes to physical product, yes shipping and other such matters come into effect, but for digital goods. Well... like everyone else said there's no excuse.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:39 pm »

Often it's import taxes. Sometimes it's the parent company that makes the product and sets the price. Sometimes the government sets the price so all distribution is on an even footing.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:02 pm »

With imported physical goods, a possible reason for their prices to stay high despite currency fluctuation is the sellers are carrying old stock, bought when local currency was not as high as it is today, meaning they paid more for goods priced at foreign currency. So to keep the profit margin, they will have to base the pricing on their original cost base.

Another reason is discriminatory pricing. We have two massive supermarket chains here in Australia that sell goods at higher prices in certain areas. Prices are usually higher in central business districts, because it is assumed people living there have greater purchasing power, and in remote areas, to make up for increased logistic costs.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »

Sometimes its import taxes for boxed games, I am pretty sure however that when applied to purely electronic goods any laws that might add a extra tax are lagging too far behind to actually exist.

Its all greed, or more correctly "We have been selling games at a 50% markup here for years, people are buying, ergo why should we lower the price?", they are doing it purely because they can, and it only becomes truly visible and egregious when it applies to purely online goods, since 90% of the excuses they would use for physical goods becomes nonexistent.
Often it's import taxes. Sometimes it's the parent company that makes the product and sets the price. Sometimes the government sets the price so all distribution is on an even footing.
I have never heard of a government setting a fixed price for games, mainly because it doesn't make much sense.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:27 pm »

I think the Steam Summer Sales start..tomorrow, according to what I've heard. Always good stuff in those events!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »

That's what I heard as well. Been waiting for it since the start of the month. Been wanting to pick up that Victoria II expansion but it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere and the last Paradox sale on Steam I was broke.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: July 12, 2012, 02:19:42 am »

Can't wait to see what I'll be wasting money on :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:02 am »

It's not a steam sale, but you still have 3 hours to buy "Hacker Evolution" from Greenmangaming for 0.00$ (Yes, zero)...

..and get 20% off your next purchase.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: July 12, 2012, 02:51:56 am »

It's not a steam sale, but you still have 3 hours to buy "Hacker Evolution" from Greenmangaming for 0.00$ (Yes, zero)...

I love free stuff. And you, for alerting me to this free stuff.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: July 12, 2012, 03:17:57 am »

From where... \\heads off to Google...\\
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: July 12, 2012, 04:09:38 am »

Free stuff! Whoooo!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:22 am »

But that's the game which was total shit, wasn't it? Like, the guy promised an awesome game, got people to preorder it, and then delivered Derek-Smart-level terribleness?

Oh, so they're not just giving it away, they're paying you to take it off their hands... Virtually.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: July 12, 2012, 04:21:15 am »

Looking around their webstore, GreenmanGaming has some weird sales going on. You've got your standard 15, 20, 25% off deals, normal stuff.

Bastion, on the other hand, is 6% off. I even saw a game that was 1% off. Instead of $2.99, it was like $2.95. WOW, WHAT A DEAL.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:55 am »

Hacker Evolution wasn't bad at all, just not anything like what was promised.
BTW- My steam store is entirely blank right now. I expect either the sale is inbound or Seattle just imploded.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:04:32 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2819 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24:57 am »

Hacker evolution was more like a text-based adventure with a linear path than being more open like uplink as people expected. It's still not a bad game, just not as good as people had been looking for.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1135