Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462066 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2790 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:48 am »

I haven't seen many online shops that trade in AUD, it's always converted. I honestly have no idea why this is but I'm going to assume (off nothing) that it has something to do with the strong trade relation between the US and AU. 

It doesn't really make much of a difference since the AUD and USD have basically been 1:1 the last few years. A quick google search tells me it's at 1.01900 USD for 1 AUD.
Annoyingly some companies refuse to acknoledge the currcency exchange rate and sti over charge us Aussies. Some games on consoles are still over priced. Not sure about how bad but lets see. Mario Games for the Wii such as Galexey 1 is 85$AUD appox may be a little more. How much is it in USD at your local Gamestores??? Brand new mind you...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: July 11, 2012, 08:04:54 am »

Maybe 20bucks new

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

Maybe 20bucks new
Nintendo Selects are $20 US. Probably not the best example though as Nintendo does not drop its prices for many years down the road. I've seen the original printing of Galaxy on the same shelf as the Select version and the prices were $50 and $20 respectively.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:53 am »

Maybe 20bucks new
Nintendo Selects are $20 US. Probably not the best example though as Nintendo does not drop its prices for many years down the road. I've seen the original printing of Galaxy on the same shelf as the Select version and the prices were $50 and $20 respectively.
Galaxy is still over 80$AUD New. This is not the store upping the price mind you. This is common through all locations that sell Games, be they Big W, K-Mart, Target, JBHIFI and even EBGames...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »

Isn't it an issue with your import taxes and minimum wage?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »

Really don't know tbh. But it is something that I feel is total BS when it comes to certain games doing it on Steam...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2796 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »

Just having a look at what is presumably the last sale before the summer sale starts, Dungeon Defenders. £3.39 for the game. £22.26 for the dlc's. Even allowing for the fact that £11.96 is for the recent dlc's that are not discounted, that seems excessive.

edit: also defense grid has just gone 75% off on the game + all dlc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:18:14 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »

Defence Grid is a good TD.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: July 11, 2012, 01:38:10 pm »

Just having a look at what is presumably the last sale before the summer sale starts, Dungeon Defenders. £3.39 for the game. £22.26 for the dlc's. Even allowing for the fact that £11.96 is for the recent dlc's that are not discounted, that seems excessive.

Add on to that how joyless the endgame is and you've pretty much summed it up. Not worth a buy at all IMO.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:37 pm »

Add on to that how joyless the endgame is and you've pretty much summed it up. Not worth a buy at all IMO.
Dungeon Defenders is basically a DLC whore. They make a billion of these stupid little DLCs that add nothing, and then a few ones that add overpowered things you need in order to do anything.

Basically, it's fun for a bit. Then it's not fun.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

Defence Grid is a good TD.
I personally get bored of Tower Defense games really quickly unless they're more action focused, never been a fan of static defense. I do think that Defence Grid[sic] is the best "classic" experience you can have with tower defense. Very well designed game.

Dungeon Defenders is basically a DLC whore. They make a billion of these stupid little DLCs that add nothing, and then a few ones that add overpowered things you need in order to do anything.

Basically, it's fun for a bit. Then it's not fun.
I had no idea what I was doing in Dungeon Defenders. Used the match making feature which is not totally broken in anyway. Teamed up my level 0 character with a whole bunch of level 70s. I was level 70 in half or so. Didn't play it again.
Orcs Must Die! is the better, I made up a term for this, Action Tower Defense game (aTD). It's a very polished experience with some great gameplay for cheap. It's single player only, which I prefer personally. The sequel is coming out soon which should have co-op.

No taxes on digital products in Australia at all. Couple that with the fact that often Australian ISPs will mirror the game FOR FREE and you don't have to pay server costs. There's no logical reason it should be priced differently.
If you're talking about non-digital copies the biggest expense would be shipping. Even then it's not even close to a mark-up of 200% on most games. Games don't take any kind of special storage, so no fees there. Selling games takes no kind of special skills, so having a teenager on minimum wage isn't expensive at all.

What it really comes down to is a combination of fault from all parties. The consumer, like your average mother, has always been buying the over priced games at $100 a pop.
The retailer is part of a monopoly of bigger companies trying to stuff out competing and having huge mark-ups. 
The video game distributor blames either the Publisher for setting the price or for things like "localisation" when they haven't changed a thing.
Publishers just changing the game price because they can, see 2K and the Borderlands bullshit.  Usually blames the distributor for the price.

Personally the biggest finger (for digital products) to point would be at the Publisher. I see many smaller publishers like Paradox or Valve who don't price region and last time I checked they also had distributors. Nobody has managed to convinced me that digital price regions is nothing but price gouging yet.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: July 11, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

Probably it has more to do with the old-school software sellers crying about "Steam is cannibalizing our sales", same reason bookstores are up in arms whenever Amazon tries to sell e-books for cheap.

Never mind that the reason boxed games are expensive in Australia and other countries probably has more to do with logistics (shipping, etc), and all the kind of stuff that simply doesn't apply to e-sales.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

The ridiculous pricing is why I am so fed up by EB Games Australia. Let the wallets speak for themselves, there are many other game stores out there offering better prices. Dungeon Crawl offers much better prices and they also have physical stores.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »

The ridiculous pricing is why I am so fed up by EB Games Australia. Let the wallets speak for themselves, there are many other game stores out there offering better prices. Dungeon Crawl offers much better prices and they also have physical stores.

Love dungeon crawl, they sell all the great old games you never thought you would find on sale anywhere again as well as the new stuff, its almost like they have actual gamers involved in picking what they stock.

And yeah, our minimum wage has almost zero to do with it.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »

I haven't seen many online shops that trade in AUD, it's always converted. I honestly have no idea why this is but I'm going to assume (off nothing) that it has something to do with the strong trade relation between the US and AU. 

It doesn't really make much of a difference since the AUD and USD have basically been 1:1 the last few years. A quick google search tells me it's at 1.01900 USD for 1 AUD.
Annoyingly some companies refuse to acknoledge the currcency exchange rate and sti over charge us Aussies. Some games on consoles are still over priced. Not sure about how bad but lets see. Mario Games for the Wii such as Galexey 1 is 85$AUD appox may be a little more. How much is it in USD at your local Gamestores??? Brand new mind you...

I noticed that the Canadian dollar is about equal to the American dollar, in fact was a bit higher for some time recently. Paper book publishers give a suggested retail price in USD and Canadian and it's always higher in Canadian. Back in the day when the Canadian dollar was relatively weak this made sense, but now it should have changed right? It's just silly. I guess it's a complex issue but damned if it doesn't look suspicious. 

For example, the transportation cost doesn't add up, since most of the transportation effort is in getting the book from China or wherever to North America. Similarly, gas often costs the same in a remote location in western Washington as along the I-5 corridor, while two gas stations of the same brand five minutes apart will have wildly varying costs.

I've heard several accounts about both cities and small towns, western and central Canada, that prices for goods are extremely high (similarly in a couple big cities in Japan). I'm sure someone out there is taking advantage of these market disparities. I think market disparity is a driver of trade, but this is pretty crazy.

TL;DR: Things are weird and I have no idea why.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1135