Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461888 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2625 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:04 pm »

This is what Spore was initially going to be.

The TED talk was awesome and it was all cut out of the final game. That's not "hype". That's stupidity.
You mean marketing took over?

TED talks are marketing. That is their purpose.
Not really. A lot of people get on and just do talks.

Anyway, anyone play The Ball? It looks pretty cool.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »

I only played the first couple levels before being distracted by some other game. The Ball is kind of a First-Person Puzzler. Like Portal, I guess, except instead of Portals you have The Ball. I would describe it as "not bad". I'll probably go back and play it again after my list of must-play games shrinks a bit.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 13, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »

The TED talk was awesome and it was all cut out of the final game. That's not "hype". That's stupidity.

TED talks are marketing. That is their purpose. You sell yourself and your product to investors. What did you think TED talks were for?

But let's talk about Steam sales.
I'm pretty sure this is not a marketing pitch. If it is, please state what dimension you came from and how it worked well.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 13, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »

I got bored of it very quickly.  It won't get another chance unless I clear out my backlog.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:09 pm »

Well, there's also that once you leave the Creature(?) stage, customization has no effect on anything at all. And even then it's limited to a couple statistics (more claws, more attack power, or something). All that just goes away once you grab a spear. Vehicle, building, plant customization is moot.
Yeah, the vehicles were definitely customizble (to a degree). And your civilization got the custom bonuses and powers from your accumulated green/blue/red paths up to that point (which was kinda neat, if a bit lacking in variety). But yeah, overall the game lost a lot of luster once you got past Creature stage. Space stage could have been more fun if you weren't constantly having to rush back home to fight off pirates or shoot glowing foozles.

Oh well, I guess they were. But still, creature customization went to the toilet once you got tribal, tribal customization also mattered zero when you went civ. In the end, the starship's customizations never mattered at all.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 13, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

TED talks are marketing. That is their purpose. You sell yourself and your product to investors. What did you think TED talks were for?

But let's talk about Steam sales.
I'm pretty sure this is not a marketing pitch. If it is, please state what dimension you came from and how it worked well.

Rob Reid is a humor author and the founder of the company that created the music subscription service Rhapsody.

The people in the audience are investors. He was hobnobbing. Yes, some people just get up and talk. But mostly it's a networking venue for exchanging business cards and buying stock.

Most likely that particular talk was to keep stockholders in his business and not bail just because some "expert" puts some ludicrously huge dollar value on unsold digital merchandise.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:53:06 pm by BigD145 »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2631 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »

* "Worth my money" = ~$1 paid/1 hour enjoyed for average quality games.
Interesting to see I'm not the only one using this measurement.
Huh. Steam sales spoiled me - I aim for $1:5 hours now
I set $1/hour as the minimum. Any less and I wasted my money. Unless the time is really fun, in which case each hour would count as more than just 1 hour's worth of enjoyment.

Not a sale, but the game Splice that came out is pretty fun. The demo is at least worth downloading and playing.

I think you might have been the one that inspired me for that ratio, Lectorog. Or someone on these forums did, at least.

But yeah, that's just a general rule. I'm willing to lay down some cash for high quality games, like Portal 2, but even then I'm stingy if it's not on sale. Dang car keeps eating all my "fun" money. Fun suckers, those cars.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 13, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

Not to keep a derail going, but that was no expert that suggested that number, BigD, nor an air-quotes expert, just a guy in the vague area of either hollywood or DC. The RIAA/MPAA/other general pro-copyright lobbies have proven quite well they have no clue what they're doing except tossing out absurd numerals and complaining that the internet isn't easily walled off into regional sections for them to delay releases in.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:52 am »

In economics, happiness is measured in utils. Derived from "utility".

But I measure the worth of games by replayability. I only buy games that I can play over and over and over and over and over for hundreds of hours.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 14, 2012, 04:21:54 am »

But I measure the worth of games by replayability. I only buy games that I can play over and over and over and over and over for hundreds of hours.
There's not many of those.

I usually compare em with beer. At 2 euros a beer, most steam games are way better than beer :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 14, 2012, 04:30:21 am »

I usually compare em with beer. At 2 euros a beer, most steam games are way better than beer :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. It does mean my games have to live up to the high standards of a beer though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:58 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. It does mean my games have to live up to the high standards of a beer though.

Two problems with that theory:
1) Beer's expensive.  Now a bottle of vodka/rum/whatever is $10 american (it's not good vodka/rum/whatever), and has the alcohol content of a small keg of beer.
2) You're assuming that I either drink beer OR play a video game.  You assume wrong.  :P

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »

1) Beer's expensive.  Now a bottle of vodka/rum/whatever is $10 american (it's not good vodka/rum/whatever), and has the alcohol content of a small keg of beer.

As an Australian, let me be the first to say I hate you for your reasonably priced alcohols.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 14, 2012, 10:51:07 pm »

I'd take the public healthcare when my liver finally gives in anyday. :3

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:10 pm »

As an Australian, let me be the first to say I hate you for your reasonably priced alcohols.
Canned hard liquor is popular in your continent. That alone proves alcohol is a very different beast in Australia than it is in the US. Not that those facts devalue your hate for our reasonably priced alcohol. :D
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1135