Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461730 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2535 on: June 06, 2012, 11:12:52 pm »

I loved farcry 2, that said,  I can see why other people didnt, stuff like the respawns could really kill it.  Never had a problem with the driving in it though.

Id say for 2 fiddy its well worth it just for the fire mechanic, ive never played an FPS before or since that allowed me to actually use fire in a serious tactical fashion, loved the randomness of the destruction if you blew up and explosives pile and the crazy stuff that could happen with misfires and the like *Carefully lines up nade launcher at unsuspecting jeep full on goons* 'Click, phut, plop'  *nade rolls out of the barrel and lands at feet*  'SHI-'
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »

Steam is having a Paradox weekend sale.  They will be having daily deals until sunday I think.  Today is "King Arthur franchise" at 75% off.  Pretty much everything else is 50% off.

Hopefully Crusader Kings II comes on 75% off.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:14 pm »

I got the Paradox Complete Pack a couple months ago on Steam, it was really good value and came with some great games. I recommend it to anyone if it's on sale again. So many games you could spend your life trying to master.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:51:42 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 07, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »

I got the Paradox Complete Pack a couple months ago on Steam, it was really good value and came with some great games. I recommend it to anyone if it's on sale again. So many games you could spend you life trying to master.
I got it too... my friend was asking me how "Sword of the Stars" out of the blue was and I replied back, "I don't think I've ever played it, why would you ask?" ... "You bought it!" ... "Oh, I'll be damned.  I did buy it."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »

Sengoku is cheaper at Gamersgate and it probably uses Steam activation.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »

While true, unfortunately Sengoku was basically made obsolete by Paradox.  It was released as the watered down Japanese themed prototype of Crusader Kings 2.  Paradox even alluded to such, stating that was why they retailed it at $20 instead of $40.  If you skip it infavor of CK2, you're really not missing anything.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »

Are the King Arthurs any good?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 07, 2012, 04:26:12 pm »

I enjoyed KA1 quite a bit. It seems fans of Total War find it too simple though.

The game can also be unforgivingly brutal, and how you build your characters can come back to haunt you in the mid to late game.

That said, it's got a really nice blend of RPG/RTS going on, it's really flavorful and visually it's a pretty nice game. It's got a bit of that "choose your own morality" thing that I always like, especially because it's not straight good/evil choice, but a 4 way split between Fey/Christian and Righteous/Tyrant.

I think it should have done far better in other's eyes than it did. But for what they're probably charging for it, I'd say it's worth it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 07, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »

It's alright, kinda like Total War meets a role playing game. Has it's moments. 

If you're a buff of King Arthur or the time period it's set in you're going to be a little disappointed. Plate mail everywhere!
It went a little too heavily with the "because it looks cool" artstyle, in my opinion.

Sengouku on Gamer's Gate doesn't seem to be steamworks, Gamer's Gate/DRM free version only if you care about not having a game on Steam.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 07, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

KA totally isn't a historical representation of the period. It's fantasy-driven. So yes, the Rule of Cool dominates throughout the game.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 07, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »

KA is nice, a bit more varied than the typical strategy games. The kingdom/knight management, quests and RPG elements are done really well. The tactical battles are a week point though, the troops can be hell to manage and it all gets very chaotic quickly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »

I got a pretty good handle on it. My problem is that there are some battles they throw at you that you basically have to have planned for ahead of time to be able to respond to. If you didn't load up on casters or something to enhance your archery.....good luck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otherwise, I found the game pretty good on the battlefield. Obviously not as good as TW, but good. It's the kind of game I end up reloading my saves a lot if things didn't go quite my way. And that includes forgetting to move troops into position, or failing to micromanage them when I should have.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:16:21 pm by nenjin »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »

While true, unfortunately Sengoku was basically made obsolete by Paradox.  It was released as the watered down Japanese themed prototype of Crusader Kings 2.  Paradox even alluded to such, stating that was why they retailed it at $20 instead of $40.  If you skip it infavor of CK2, you're really not missing anything.

Somebody should just make a "Sengoku-era" mod for Crusader Kings 2 and put the final nail in Sengoku's coffin.

I was pissed when I bought Sengoku for $20.  But I felt better when I bought Crusader Kings bundled with Victoria 2 for $12.

Note I got this bundle through Amazon, but the bought items are in Steam.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 07, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »

I'm sorta hoping for Crusader Kings to get enough DLC/Expansions so it really fleshes out the map. A "whole world" map from Europe to the fast East would be amazing! Sounds like they already did some of the leg work with Sengoku.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 07, 2012, 07:49:18 pm »

That'd be nice, and make things more interesting if we ever get a CK2 -> EU3 converter.

Though it's probably too much to hope for an expansion that adds the New World nations too. :P
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1135